Reload this Page >

Evening Tours of Rome?

Search

Evening Tours of Rome?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 06:12 PM
Joyce

Evening Tours of Rome?

We will be arriving in Rome on May 12, after a week in Tuscany, and would like to take an evening tour of Rome. I know there are many walking tours, but I think by Saturday night, we will want to just sit and be driven around to see the sights at night!!! Does anyone have any info on some good tours? I've tried to e-mail Roman Adventures, which I'd seen on several sites, but after 3 tries in over a month and no response, I need other suggestions. Anyone???

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Kathy

Try a site called Initaly.com and look at the city walking tours. (There's a category for driving tours too, and some may be at night.) The tours aren't inexpensive, but they sounds great. You deserve some pampering after the long trip! <BR>

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 09:41 AM
carol

Hi Joyce, <BR> <BR>There are many companies that do evening bus tours of Rome, I'm sure your concierge will be able to book you on one. I did one several years ago and just loved it. Rome is gorgeous by night.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 05:02 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Joyce check www.romeguide.it/ <BR>Has information on Carrini, Appian and others. And as Carol mentions the concierge at your hotel has brochures and can make all arrangements. <BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 06:20 AM
Jo

here are some other websites <BR> <BR>www.sogniitaliani.com <BR>They don't list their day/evening tours but if you e-mail Chandi she will send you a list <BR> <BR>www.enjoyrome.com <BR>

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Rex

I've checked out the "Moonlight Stroll" on www.initaly.com - - it seems rather expensive, but we might take it anyhow, on my trip with inlaws (May 3-11). <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Rex

Now they get back to me, and propse to start the moonlight stroll at 5 pm for 2.5 to 3 hours. Doesn't sound like it will contain much moonlight - - not in May, at least! <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 04:28 PM
wendy

Try Gastaldi tours. <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 05:19 PM
Rex

I'm having trouble finding this company, Wendy - - there's a Kuoni Gastaldi Tours - - but they're out of Genova - - and they don't seem to be what I'm looking for. I have a feeling we are running out of time. <BR> <BR>Got back a "We're sorry" e-mail from scalareale.org today - - and they provided these names <BR> <BR>=============================== <BR> <BR>Here are some other cultural operators we recommend: <BR> <BR>Through Eternity C.A. Cultural association with friendly English-speaking "storytellers" who lead fun and interesting walking tours through the classical ruins, historical center and more. Tel: 06-7009336 <BR> <BR>http://www.througheternity.com <BR>[email protected] <BR> <BR>Rome (ing) Tours Fun and casual walking tours for larger groups led by American residents in Rome. Tel: 06-49380534 <BR> <BR>http://www.romeingtours.com <BR>[email protected] <BR> <BR>Centro Guide Roma Individual travellers, families and groups can hire licensed tour guides through this organization. Via S. Maria delle Fornaci, 8 <BR>Tel: 06-6390409 <BR> <BR>http://www.centroguideroma.org/inglese/ind_ing.htm <BR> <BR>Rome, Made to Measure Sergio Caggia offers custom travel planning and private tours. <BR>Lungotevere dell'acqua acetosa, 55 <BR>Tel: 06.808.12.50 <BR> <BR>http://www.nerone.cc/romemtm [email protected] <BR> <BR>Rome Insight Italian gentleman (speaks fluent English) offers private walking and driving tours for small groups. Tel: 06-482 5678 <BR> <BR>[email protected] <BR> <BR>Mirabilia Urbis Daniela Hunt is an American archaeologist living in Rome who organizes high-quality private thematic tours. <BR> <BR>Tel: 06-6832058 <BR>http://www.mirabilia-urbis.com <BR>[email protected] <BR> <BR>Itinera Cultural Association, offers tours of underground Rome and has extensive underground-site related web site. <BR>Via Augusto Dulceri, 25 00176 <BR>Tel: 06-27800785 <BR>http://www.underome.com/ <BR> <BR>Max Leotta's Limo Service Our favorite driver service in Rome, with nice cars and friendly professional staff. <BR> <BR>Tel: 06-30810271 <BR> <BR>http://www.romelimousineservice.com <BR>[email protected] <BR> <BR>========================= <BR> <BR>Too many choices - - too many early morning phone calls to make! <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 05:40 PM
wendy

I DO apologize! I am away from my files at the office and just looked through everything I have for their e-mail (here at home) and fax.... to no avail. <BR> <BR>I did a great night tour of Rome by Taxi, but I speak Italian... if you DO speak Italian, the taxi cabs are great at showing off the city (for a fee) but worth it for me anyway... <BR> <BR>I'll keep looking, but good luck in the mean time? <BR>Wendy <BR> <BR>

Old May 15th, 2001, 10:05 PM
Rex

I finally found this thread. <BR> <BR>It's too late to help Joyce (and this is repetitive of a post from last night) - - butthe follow-up belongs here. <BR> <BR>Of the suggestions that Scala Reale sent to me, I picked one - - http://www.romeinsight.com - - almost at random, and telephoned. Signor Sergio Bartolini answered his own cell phone, and we set up something pretty on the spot, including our pickup and return airport transfers (FCO to Centro Storico, and vice versa). <BR> <BR>His fee was $200 USD plus $135 for the 8 passenger Mercedes minibus and driver, for three hours. He met us at our hotel, and our itinerary (by my request) did NOT include the Vatican, the Centro Storico or the Colosseum/Forum. <BR> <BR>We started with Santa Maria Maggiore, which he very ably described during our 20-25 minute stop there; from there it was on to San Clemente, where he led us through both the church and the excavations underneath for 30-35 minutes. We paid 5.000 lire admission to the excavations for each of the six of us, and for him also (but not the driver). <BR> <BR>After San Clemente, we did about 20-30 minutes driving past such places as the Barberini Trident (Tritone?) fountain in the Piazza of the same name, Piazza Venezia with some explanation of both the Campidoglio and the Vittorio Emmanuele monument ("wedding cake"), Piazza del Popolo - - and probably some other things that I am forgetting. He pointed out where Piazza Navona and Trevi Fountain could be found (even though I already knew this, and we were staying quite close to both), and we did briefly "go by" the Colosseum, with a 2-minute "spiel" about it - - on our way to Janiculum Hill. Up there, we got a brief overview of things that stand out as you look over the city while we all had a gelato (at our own expense - - he didn't have one). He pointed out St, John Lateran, and mentioned that he had planned to take us there - - but our fatigue was quite evident, so he stretched out the driving part. <BR> <BR>This spanned 3 pm to 6 pm on our day of arrival (we had done very little before that - - just a brief trip to the Spanish Steps - - less than 300 yards from our hotel) - - and we WERE indeed almost too tired to enjoy it. <BR> <BR>Signor Bartolini's only bad feature is/was that he says "you know" almost constantly - - a verbal tic for him - - <BR>sometimes as much as 3-4 times in one sentence. <BR> <BR>All in all, I give the experience a 6 or 7 (scale: 1 low to 10 high) with quality and value about the same. It was a <BR>satisfactory-or-better fit for the needs of the people we were traveling with (wife's parents and uncle/aunt). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ttt