EuroStar Train from Paris to London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 US Citizens traveling to Paris for a few days (6 days) then off to London via the train.

I know when we enter Paris via CDG airport we will go through customs, etc. But, when we leave the Paris Train Station (Noir) to London I have some questions --

1. Does one go through French customs when leaving the country at the train station?
2. Does on go through the UK customs at the Paris train station or at St. Pancras?
3. How long should one plan to be at the train station (2 hrs or more to get through customs and security)?
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 06:42 PM

Eurostar requires I believe about 40 minutes - it will be printed on your ticket - leeway ahead of time to go thru its turnstiles - where IME you go thru British customs at least if not French as well. Anyway go thru the turnstiles within the required time and all should be well.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 06:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You aren't talking about Customs -- it is Immigration (passport control) which is something different.

You will show your passport when you check in for the Eurostar. (BTW, It is Gare du <u>Nord</u> - not Noir)
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 07:30 PM

It has nothing to do with Customs, unless you have stuff to declare. You have to go through Immigration and show your passport is all. Last time I did it it took about 15 minutes. It's a train. Assuming you have a ticket, you line up and when the train is ready for boarding you go to the designated spot and board.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 08:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Last time I took it, I walked through in 5 minutes. With a non-EU passport, there is a little form to fill out, though.

You are told to arrive at least 30 minutes before departure, but they continue to make check-in ("final call....") anouncements until 15 minutes before departure time.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 11:39 PM

"but they continue to make check-in ("final call....") anouncements until 15 minutes before departure time."

Because some types of tickets allow you to check-in as little as 10 minutes before departure - the cheap ones don't.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 11:49 PM

What is it with this "customs" when it should be immigration, seem to be a North American thing.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 01:33 AM

C
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 01:38 AM

Check in for Eurostar is a minimum of 30 minutes.

This includes an easy security check and French and UK passport checks. At the other end you just walk straight off into the station and street/underground/metro.

Check in normally opens 1 to 2 hours before departure.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 02:56 AM

Check-in for many Eurostar tickets is 30 minutes before scheduled departure. However for some of the more expensive tickets it can be as little as 10 minutes and can be as much as 60 minutes depending on destination and physical requirements

http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisur...n/check_in.jsp
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 03:32 AM

<i>What is it with this "customs" when it should be immigration, seem to be a North American thing.</i>

I've noticed that too - hardly a day goes past on this forum without someone confusing them. I suppose you could be forgiven for being confused if you lived in a part of the world where it's rare to cross foreign borders.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 03:41 AM

"I suppose you could be forgiven for being confused if you lived in a part of the world where it's rare to cross foreign borders."

I'd put it partly down to that as well BUT they are traveling to different counties not the USA.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 04:46 AM

We're talking Paris here so forget the 60 minute check in for Avignon or Bourg St Maurice weekly trains. And only megabucks Business premier tickets give a 10 min checkin may as well forget that too!
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 05:58 AM

<b><u>If</b></u> all goes well departing Paris on Eurostar is quite simple. At Paris gare du Nord you will need to go through security (much like airport security, includes x-ray exam of your bags and walking through metal detector) and go through usually perfunctory immigration as in handing over your passport and a short form you have completed. No customs unless you have something to declare.
Most of the several times I have done this trip arriving at the station 45 minutes ahead of departure was sufficient. One time there was a perfect storm of issues (elevator and escalator out of service, problem getting ticket printed from electronic kiosk, very long lines at service counter and through security) that had us running like crazy to get on our train almost as it was pulling out of the station despite having arrived an hour or so in advance. No way to predict such things, but that is why one allows a bit of a time cushion when planning. Even me, a habitual arrive at the last possible minute person, has learned this. Two hours seems excessive but I would plan to be at the station at least 45 min to an hour prior to departure, especially if this is your first time. There is a waiting area post security where you can grab a coffee.