Eurostar or Fly (Paris-London)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be leaving from Paris-London on a Sunday in May, and the Eurostar fares are outrageous! Does anyone know if they trend up towards the departure date, or if they'll come back down?

I will most likely book a flight, as I've found a great fare for 2 people. But I've always wanted to take the Chunnel and this is a good opportunity.

Anyone know something I don't? Or discount sites to book the tix? www.eurostar.com, www.raileurope.com, and www.voyages-sncf.com are coming back with the high rail fares (+ 400 euros).
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:24 PM

What date are you searching? I see some fares for US$94 on 5/13; best fare on 5/6 is $149. Per person.

While that may be more than the cost of the plane ticket, you also need to add the cost of going to/from the airport. It's not cheap. And the train is likely to be faster and definitely more comfortable.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
One thing you can be pretty sure about - the fares probably won't come down. The cheapest fares sell out early - just like w/ airfares.

The farther ahead you book the better chance for a discounted fare . . .
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

I'm only searching on May 6th, as that's the day we need to travel. Where did you find the $149 afre, rkkwan?
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:04 PM

I'm also seeing most fares on 5/6 at $149pp. There's actually a 8:43p train that still has tickets at $124pp. This is on www.raileurope.com. One way from Paris to London.

If you are looking for round-trip, I don't know when you are planning on the return, but I see the May 6th 8:01a train from Paris to London at $74pp and a return on May 7th at any time for $158pp, total $232pp.

This is in USD. I believe shipping costs through www.raileurope.com are $15.00.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 10:01 PM

I'm looking on the Eurostar website and see LOADS of fares for Sunday 6th May at 94USD one way Paris to London.

Perhaps it's time to clear cookies and start again?
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 10:11 PM

Whlist the fare might seem high I expect you will save $ as we did when we used it by leaving and arriving in the middle of each city and thus avoiding transport costs to and from airports. Customs etc was a dream at each end .It was all was so much easier than flying these days .
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:11 AM

If you can get $149, that's a very good fare. Even $94 is not that outrageous. Book early as the fares never come down so close to the departure date.
Aside from the time needed to travel to/from airports, cost to transfer to the airports will usually make the flight option less cheap than it seems.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:20 AM

If you're travelling on a Sunday, the Eurostars, like most trains, are very busy in the afternoon and evening with people who've been away for a weekend, or who are travelling ready for work on Monday. The trains are normally much quieter on Sunday mornings.
Often a one-way ticket for Eurostar costs more than a return (round trip) ticket, so many people book for a fictitious return journey. Pick a train at a quiet time, lunchtime midweek perhaps, when few people are travelling and so fares will be cheapest.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 02:40 AM

Sunday 6 May could be a relatively quiet day for travel in France because it's the second round of the Presidential Election. Some people, however, might vote in the morning and then travel - because 8 May is a holiday and they'll "fait le pont" (make the bridge) and take a week off.

7 May is a Bank Holiday in the UK, so fares could be high later in the day on Sunday or on Monday as people who took the preceding week off come home. The following weekend is also likely to be busy, with higher than average fares.

When you're planning holidays, it's always a good idea to investigate the statutory holidays in the countries you'll be visiting, so that you can plan around them.

French and UK residents have realised that the Eurostar is a much more comfortable and easy trip than flying the London-Paris route. All in, the time it takes to get to the airport, check in, go through security hassles, fly, clear Customs & Immigration and travel from the airport is probably equal to or even greater than the centre-centre train trip. Not surprisingly, Eurostar noticed that people prefer to take the train on this route and have increased prices accordingly.

I don't know how cheaply you feel like travelling, but there are long distance buses that connect Paris and London.

Whatever you do, I don't think fares are going to improve. Do a little more research and then buy something asap.