Reload this Page >

Eurostar London to Paris May 1

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Susie

I'm having trouble on the Eurostar website getting a train on May 1--does anyone know if this is some kind of holiday?

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Christina

yes, it's one of the biggest holidays in the world -- May Day (or Labor Day or Workers' Day, etc). It's celebrated in many countries all over the world, including many in Europe. I think UK has first Monday in May as a holiday instead, but it is a national holiday in France. Because it's on a Thursday next year (and the next Monday is the first), I imagine a lot of folks will be taking that long weekend as a holiday

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 09:28 PM
be

Another consideratiom - be careful in both London and Paris on May 1. Many years there are huge demonstrations on May Day. Sometimes they become violent. This used to be a a day to celebrate the labor movement but anarchists have just about taken over. Most parts of the cities are perfectly safe - but avoid the areas with the parades and demos.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 04:19 AM
rudumb

It is amazing that someone would not know that May 1 is May Day and what that means. Just amazing. And these people want to travel? God help us all!

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 05:55 AM
London

Dont worry about the may day parades - as long as you are not in the City of London or The Square Mile as it is also known (the financial district) then you will have no problem - the police now keep these demonstartions very well contained - they generally pass off ok with minor, isolated incidents of trouble.