Eurostar and Brit Rail Passes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TO UNSURENOW: If you find this, thank you for your information on Ragdale. I couldn't figure out how to reply to your response. It was very helpful.

RAIL PASSES: On July 10 I will be travelling from Brussells to London on the Eurostar and then from London on to Stratford-Upon-Avon for two days. From Stratford I will be going to the Cotswalds for a day and then on to Torquay for 4 days. For the last part of my trip I will be going from Torquay to Loughbourogh, in the Midlands, between Ragdale/Melton Mowbray and Nottingham before heading back to London on July 17th to fly out of Heathrow. I don't have a definite itinery and don't know if I will be using the rail most of the time (which is my preference) or rent a car part of the time. I have not booked my Eurostar nor any other rail travel.

I have looked at BritRail and am completely confused. I gave my information and the BritRail information I had to my travel agent and she suggested that I go elsewhere as she was confused and this isn't her area of expertise.

Is there one pass that would be inclusive of the Eurostar and BritRail lines?

Can anyone advise me on which would be the best rail pass for the Eurostar and the England rail lines from London to Stratford to Torquay to the Midlands and back to London? I will be 60 when travelling so I would be able to take advantage of the Senior discount available.

I do not want to drive from or to London as this will be my first time driving in England if I have to drive. I can drive a 5 speed stick shift in the USA and understand that the driver is on the right side in England. Are the foot pedals from left to right - clutch, brake, gas - as they are in the US? Are the autos 3 or 5 speed? I know I will need a car for the Midland areas I will be visiting as they are not easily accessbile by train.

I leave on July 4th so any advice is greatly appreciated. I tried to do my research before starting this forum as I know how irritating it can be, and rude on the requestors part, to ask you to do my work for me.

Thanks from Olympia WA USA,
Jackie
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 01:59 PM

With a rail pass you can get a discount on your Eurostar train, but no pass, to my knowledge will fully cover the Eurostar and regular train travel in Great Britain. Your travel upon reaching London seems to cover only England and for more that 4 train trips. So you could purchase an 8 day flex pass, meaning that you can travel unlimited times during any 8 days within a two month period. The cost for this pass is $340 standard class or 1st class senior for $434. Let me know if I can be of help.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Hi rogerdodger,

Thank you for your response. I do have a final game plan.

I will travel from Brussels to London Waterloo the morning of July 10th. From there I understand I can take the underground to Marylebone Station. Do you know the fare? From Marylebone I will take the Chiltern Railway to Stratford-Upon-Avon.

If I don't rent a car in Stratford, I will try to take the train into the Cotswolds and see a few of the villages. Any suggestions on one or two that tourists shy away from?

On July 12th I will take a train from Stratford to Exeter. I understand that it goes from Stratford using Central Train with a change of trains in Birmingham Moor to Birmingham New St. on Virgin Trains to Exeter St. Davids.
I will take a train (not sure which one) from Exeter to Torquay.

I will reverse the trip and go from Torquay to Exeter on July 15 and take Virgin Trains from Exeter with a change in Birmingham New St. on Central Trains to Melton Mowbray. There I will need to rent a car.

For return I need to be at Heathrow on July 17th around 1200. It looks like the best route is Melton Mowbray to Birmingham New Street on Central Train. Change to Birmingham Moor Street walking. Have you ever walked it and is it clearly marked?
Then Birmingham New Street to Leamington Spa on Virgin Trains, Leamington Spa to Hatton on Chiltern Railways. I tried to find the Heathrow train terminal but couldn't so I used Hatton as the nearest station. Is that where I would get off? How would I get to Heathrow from there?

I don't mind the additional stop as I think I would get to see more of the countryside and meet more people. Is that true?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like I will only be taking the train 3 or 4 times, not including the Eurostar. Sounds like it would be better to go on a "trip by trip" basis. What do you think.

Does this sound doable?

Thanks for you input.

SmurfOlympiaWa

Old Jun 24th, 2007, 02:33 PM

I'd do the maths yourself - see www.nationarail.co.uk

If your plans are fixed it's PROBABLY a lot cheaper to go with point to point tickets

Can I make a suggestion BTW, the way you write posts makes them very hard to read as it's very hard to spot the relevant information

Also note that Stratford is not Stratford-on-Avon and that you can buy tickets with A to B - eg Stratford-on-Avon to Torquay
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Here's the thing about train fare in the UK. Walk up single fare is very expensive for medium- to long-distance trips. But you can often buy them in advance for a fraction of the cost.

So, if your dates are fixed, you should be better off with individual advanced-sale point to point tickets. The benefit of a railpass is that it gives you flexibility, not that it's the cheapest way to go.

Cars in the UK have paddles the same way as here. The shift pattern is also the same. 1-2 on left, 3-4 in the middle and so on. Transmission depends on the particular model, just like they are in the US. Most are 5-speed, some high-performance ones 6-speed.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 06:31 AM

There's no train from Stratford to the Cotswolds.

However the really, really, good news is that the previously useless Cotswold Conservation Board, who've till now wasted most of their money on pointless "the Cotswolds start here" signs and leaflets moaning about how little of my taxes they get to waste, have finally put up to date bus timetables on the Web. (http://www.cotswoldsaonb.org.uk/file...sTtable07a.pdf)

You want the buses from Stratford to Chipping Campden and Broadway. There's no point trying to find towns and villages other tourists don't go to. Places like Kingham and Charlbury are, without a scintilla of doubt, the most wonderful places human beings could possibly live in - but they're astonishingly boring to visit as a tourist, and usually don't have a single thatched cottage.

If you want to avoid other tourists, get a local walks book from any small shop in the town you're visiting and take a few miles' circular walk along the surrounding footpaths.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 06:44 AM

<I have looked at BritRail and am completely confused. I gave my information and the BritRail information I had to my travel agent and she suggested that I go elsewhere as she was confused and this isn't her area of expertise.>

I would refer you to call BETS (800-441-9413; www.budgeteuropetravel.com) who are experts in British Rail and Eurostar and can answer all your questions IME.

Passholder fares on eurostar start at about $77 but exist in tiers up to $120 or more, depending on availability. Passhodler fares can be changed once in Europe without penalty, subject to availability in that fare category.

You don't want a BritRail Pass but possible a BritEngland pass - good for all of England but not Wales or Scotland.

As alan says walk up fares are very expensive - the beauty of the pass is that it can be used on any rail line or train anytime. Fully flexible like those very pricey walk up tickets.

Or you can go to www.nationalrail.co.uk and see discounted and very restrictive fares where you can save some bucks at the sacrifice of flexibility.

Say you go to stratford and your non-refundable non-changeable return ticket at 4pm leaves you short of the time you need to see other things on your list. Too bad. The pass is good on any train and any train line - there may be more than one train line serving places like Oxford and Stratford area - resticted tickets can be used only on one line.

With you travels i'd recommend the pass. Passes are a boon for more than two traveling together as the third-ninth passengers on same pass pay 50% of the first two adults.

Kids? those under 16 get a free Family Pass.

UK friend? they can get a free pass to match what you buy.

Back to Eurostar - you don't have much time so getting a cheap fare is problematic - i'd go to www.eurostar.com for pricing and buying in pounds and then compare what BETS can come up with (i recommend BETS because you can talk to someone who will do a manual search for you and they also don't charge Rail Europe's $18 mailing fee for most Eurostar orders. www.raileurope.com you can check but they often IME don't display some cheaper fares whereas a manual search by someone who knows what they are doing may. (I understand fully how a typical travel agent could throw their hands up at this!)