Euros and Pounds to dollars

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, me and my band just toured europe. And came back with some extra euros and pounds in cash. All the exchange rates Ive been finding in New York City are horrible. Any ideas where can I get the most for my bucks? I have like 850 euros and 325 pounds.

Thanks in advance!

Jose
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 12:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You should have spent them when you were still in Europe -- you won't get a 'good' exchange rate selling them in the States. You could sell them to a friend/family member who is planning a trip, or you could go back yourself.

But - if you want the cash now you'll just have to bite the bullet and exchange them here.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 12:30 PM

Yikes, that is a lot of cash. The best rate is by not going through any commission people. Look around for friends, colleages, family, etc.

I am sorry to say this was a bad planning.
Was this not considered as a part of the overall plan? For Euros, I keep any left overs as I use them every year. However, for other currencies, especially the weak currencies, I plan the cash usage carefully so as not to be left with any them at the end of the trip. You can adjust the cash usage by deciding when to use cash and when to use credit card, if that is possible. Also, when I know precisely how much it cost to get to the airport, I do split tender in paying for the hotel -- use all excess cash at the front desk, and pay the remaining using a credit card.

However, none of these strategies work after the fact.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 12:40 PM

Just keep the euros and pounds if you have notions of returning to Europe in the next few years.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 12:48 PM

>>Just keep the euros and pounds if you have notions of returning to Europe in the next few years.<<

That assumes the OP can afford to have nearly $1500 just sitting there and doesn't need it to pay bills . . . But yes, that is an option.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

yeah I wish I could keep the euros and pounds. But I need to money to pay the credit cards I used over there. I'll be smarter next time. it was our first time there. Im gonna hit these guys up. the rates are not so terrible.
http://asforeignexchange.com/
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 01:04 PM

Educate yourself before dealing with money changers.
You are focusing on "rates." The industry thrives on people paying attention to only the "rates."

Instead, focus on TOTAL COST.
Total Cost = (rate difference above official rate) + (fess of all kinds).

They pesky part are the fee(s). There can be multiple of them and only one of them may be disclosed until you have make a trek there and get presented with fees coming out of woodwork just before you actually accept the transaction. By that time you are so fed up and you would pay anything to the delight of the exchange store.

They can also play games with "rates."
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 01:15 PM

I might be a tad over suspicious -- but could the OP simply have registered to post that link? He gets on Fodors, asks, and 50 minutes later answers his own question??

just wondering
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Nonono haha. No way. I didnt post that to just post that link. I just found them to be the ones with the best "rates" so far. Ive been looking all day. I found this forum by just googling all day. And said her why not give em a try. Sorry if it sounded spammy but its not at all. Im not even sure if im gonna used those people yet.
Remember how i said we were on tour?
Facebook.com/makewarnyc
Check out all the dates that we were there for

Anyway thank you for all the replies guys. Like I said it was our first time there.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have literally HUNDREDS of left-over crowns and thousands of left-over Yen and I have plenty of money to pay my bills. You like LOSING money? Go ahead, exchange them for dollars.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 02:17 PM

If I lived anywhere near Brooklyn I would come over and buy some of your euro.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 02:22 PM

Actually you could mail the cash to me (I live in Europe) and I transfer the money to your account. But it would be probably too much hassle and to much involved fees for such minor amounts of cash.

Better find some Europeans in New York City who can help you. There are thousands of business people from Europe in NYC. And ten thousands of tourists from Europe. Use the internet to find them and offer them a deal which is a win-win-situation for both. Like an invitation for an authentic New York style dinner in your home.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 02:24 PM

OK -- welcome to Fodors himynameisjose

Good Luck.

(Next time ask here <i>before</i> you travel and we can give you advice re foreign currency etc )
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 04:01 PM

I worked at a small International airport and use to buy euro from pax because we had no currency exchange at the airport. People would send them to me..
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 06:08 PM

If you know any other bands that will be going to Europe soon to tour, check with their manager, they will need foreign currency for expenses and may exchange with you.

If you know any European or British bands headed to NY they would probably be willing to change their earned dollars for your euros or pounds. I know you are under the gun to get it done soon but you never know and you are in an area with a LOT of bands. Good luck!
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 04:02 AM

Go to JFK's international terminal. Hold up a sign that says "euros and pounds for sale -- good rates, no service fees." See if you get any takers before you get arrested.
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 04:16 AM

You know, you could advertise on Craigslist for someone who is going to Europe and give them a good deal, but also better than what you would get with a money changer. Could work.
I think looking for someone going to Europe is a possibility.