Europe's Worst Airports

Search

Europe's Worst Airports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe's Worst Airports

Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see any discussion of this article in the Sunday NY Times, which I thought was kind of interesting (no surprise Heathrow was the worst)

http://preview.tinyurl.com/332wcf

The article really was about the world's best airports, and Zurich and Madrid were mentioned in Europe, but none in the USA (not surprising).

It did give some good tips for those who can't decide where to transfer, though, I thought. I didn't know Frankfurt was considered bad, myself.

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 12:08 PM
PJK

We flew into and out of Frankfurt at the end of October. I was surprised at how sad it was. I hesitate to judge an airport by difficulties when we arrive not knowing for sure how much is a result of being sleep deprived. However, I do recall having some issues finding where to catch the train, something we have done successfully at many European airports. Still, might have just been the lack of sleep issue.

When leaving, we had no delays, but the waiting area for our flight out was a dungeon with a small bathroom and one small vending machine. Going back out to get anything to eat or drink meant going back through a level of security, though as I recall, it was not the main security line. The area was packed with only standing room the last hour or so before the flight left, loud (no carpet nor anything else to absorb sound), nothing on the walls, generally unpleasant all around.

When we return from trips to Europe, though, I am always aware at how unwelcoming U.S. airports tend to be to foreign travelers. I have a little trouble figuring out how to get out of them at times. I'm not sure how someone who doesn't know the language manages. PJK
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 12:16 PM

My vote for Europe's worst Airport is Rome (FCO) The main terminal is the pits.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Worst in what way?

Most inappropriate for its footfall - Pisa

Dirtiest facilities - Pisa

Most dangerous runway - Corfu

Longest walk - Palma (must be the biggest one terminal airport in the world)

Most expensive burgers - Tromso £12

Hottest without Aircon - Limassol 48oC nearly died that day
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 12:27 PM

I'd vote for de Gaulle...I KNOW there has to be more than one rest room, but most of us see to find only this one tiny loo with about three stalls.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 01:01 PM

airport with most goats on runway, Barbuda.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 01:08 PM

Wish people would check their facts before publishing an article - Heathrow allows 2 bags now as do most UK airports with the notable exception of Gatwick
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 01:09 PM

Flying American Airlines from the U.S. into and out of Charles de Gaulle this summer was awful. So many people in the terminal that we could barely push our way through. Bad signage. Long security lines.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Sallygirl42

CDG can be pretty bad, especially if you are traveling at any high-traffic time. Just try to use the elevator to get from the main floor to the floor to catch the bus (to the RER), I dare you. People wield their luggage-laden carts like chariots in "Ben-Hur".

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 01:13 PM

I'd take Heathrow over De Gaulle any day! That airport was terrible, and we had a heck of a time just figuring out how to get out of it. We finally ended up in some stairwell that we probably shouldn't have been in and somehow exited from a service door at the bottom of the stairs. No ATM to be found so we had to use an exchange bureau, and overall just a mess!

Tracy
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 01:13 PM

>>airport with most goats on runway, Barbuda.<<

Airport with most gazelle on runway, Seronera Valley, Serengeti NP, Tanzania.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Frankfurt. We thought we were trapped in some weird 1984-esque nightmare.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM

I don't mind Heathrow that much. Not the best, but I will take any EU-EU-US connection over any EU-US-US connection, if only to avoid the stupid collect bags/clear customs/recheck bags fiasco. Besides, the whisky selection at Heathrow makes up for a lot. Combined with a quick tipple in the BA lounge and you have yourself a winner.

Not sure how Zurich beat Schiphol in the noted study, though. Schiphol is just as efficient, despite being significantly bigger and with significantly better and more numerous services.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Heimdall

sorry that is childs play -

runway with a road running across it, with traffic lights to stop the traffic so the planes can land that also is too short and runs directly into the sea and has had three planes slide into the sea (try saying all that without breathing) -
Corfu - there was a time when pilots started to rewfuse to land there.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Dallas was certain a subject for the worst airport, especially about transferring from overseas to a US destination.

Coming Madrid to Los Angeles, you had one hour to pick up your bags, pass through the customs and immigration, give you bags to the carrier and then chase across the airport to find your new gate. You'll be running through the whole terminal, drooling on the food stalls alongside, until you barely make your next flight.

Frankfurt's airport is not as bad as everybody mentions. You can find this being a nice airport, if you've been there a few times. Good services below the airport, the train to the city is downstairs too. You have a four star hotel on-site and a lovely restaurant within ten minutes of drive. The photoshops in Frankfurt used to sell Nikon products very, very cheap. I could buy lens cheaper than New York prices. You can even spend some hours at Dr.Mueller's Sex Shop, if you need to pass some time. It's sure better than the Dallas airport.

Blackduff
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 01:56 PM

I had one of the worst experiences ever at CDG, so that's my vote.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Where possible, when flying from Australia to Europe, I choose Frankfurt. I always exit there very easily through efficient customs and immigration procedures, and catching a train to Frankfurt (or anywhere else in Europe)is simply a matter of an escalator ride. My main requirement of a 'good' airport is one that is efficient in processing me on and off a plane, and, at this task, Frankfurt is the best of the major European hubs such as CDG, Heathrow, Schipol, or Rome.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 02:29 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>Wish people would check their facts before publishing an article - Heathrow allows 2 bags now as do most UK airports with the notable exception of Gatwick...</i>

IIRC this article was published before BAA announced the relaxation.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 04:40 PM

Biggest cluster-&quot;something&quot;: CDG
Second-biggest cluster: EWR

Depending on my mood and whether or not Tony Soprano has stopped by this week to collect his vig, EWR and CDG can switch places. Like when the pilot comes on the intercom and says that the flight is #25 for departure....

Most in need of expansion: Lisbon, with exactly 8 individual restroom stalls -- 4 male, 4 female -- for 8 gates. No, it wasn't 4 stalls grouped together with common facilities, it was 4 individual stalls spread out, each with one toilet and one sink. [In fairness, over in the Portugal forum, a Lisboeta reported that the Portuguese government in the past week has picked a site for a new LIS airport, so this problem will allegedly be solved in 10 years or so.]

What irritates me more than the claim bags - clear customs - recheck bags thing here in the US is having to go back through the Totally Stupid A$$holes in airport security. Hello, I've been in a secure area for 10+ hours, either in the departure airport, on a plane (where it's really hard to smuggle in a gun at 35,000 feet), or in US Customs, so why in the hell do I need to go back through airport security? At least in ATL you have your own dedicated security checkpoint in Concourse E, but damn if EWR Terminal C-3 isn't completely idiotic: you have to go back through the security line with EVERYBODY. Woe unto thee if you are arriving on a holiday weekend and you have a tight connection.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 05:44 PM

We understand Heathrow's British Air situation will improve with the opening of their combined new terminal this spring. It can't happen soon enough.

Last fall, flying from Chicago to Rome via London, we went through the exasperating transfer proceedure from one BA terminal to another via bus, long lines, and frisking. On paper, it looked as if we had plenty of time. We made our London/Rome connection by the skin of our teeth. Aaaaargh!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -