Search

Europebyair.com

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Julie

Europebyair.com

In response to some post, Rex directed someone to checkout this site. It looks too good to be true. Flights from lots of places to lots of other places all for $99 per flight one way. It seems to open possibilities to explore diverse areas in a single shorter trip, e.g. Barcelona and Venice, what a fun combination. Why isn't everyone using this like crazy? What kinds of experiences have people had with this outfit?

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Andrea

I used the Discover Europe Airpass (1-800-788-0555) to go one-way from Budapest to London. BA was going to charge some outrageous fare, and this worked great for me. I believe flights under 500 mi. are $99, over 500 miles are $159. Prices may have gone up as this was summer of 2000. Flights were on British Midland.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Patrick

I worked with them for a while in 2000, trying to work out a couple of cheap flights. Tried then to get to Dubrovnik, from Athens to Rome, and a couple of others. But their schedules kept changing. One day they'd say there was only one flight a week they could do from Athens to Rome. Next thing I knew it would be in two segments changing in Venice so it would cost $198. Then they stopped flights to Dubrovnik from Venice. I just had to give up. But it does sound like a great deal if you can make it work.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Kim

I used the Europebyair tickets-all in all a great deal.<BR><BR>The only problem we really had was some airports weren't totally sure what to do with them-so I would leave a little extra time.<BR><BR>Also, some flights require two tickets, so make sure you look into that ahead of time.<BR><BR>You have to make reservations using them, I would do that with as much ahead of time as possible as well.<BR><BR>Kim

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Rex

Thanks for the acknowledgement, Julie. I do think people are using "this like crazy". But it is true that some of the flights do not operate often - - not only only once a day - - some routes are not even daily.<BR><BR>And the program Andrea alluded to, on British Midland, appears to be coming to an end May 30. Though they still may have very good fares, based on a recent posting from bettyk (London to Frankfurt, in hercase, if I recall correctly).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Julie

Thanks for the replies (hope my double posting doesn't make anyone twitchy, jumped the gun on checking for responses or somesuch.) And thanks, Rex, for pointing this great possibility out. Hmmmm, Barcelona/Venice. A new possibility.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Rex

One last comment, Julie - - on your "other" thread - - you used the term "this company". not that www.europebyair.com is NOT a company, or at least not an airline - - just like www.raileurope.com is not a rail company. In both cases, what you have is a marketing association. The airlines of EuropeByAir are generally real airlines, albeit younger, low-cost, maverick airlines in many instances. And they do come and go in the association - - I think this is why the numerous schedule changes may have seemed frustrating to some. and some of these airlines COULD go out of business - - just like big airlines can.<BR><BR>Debonair is the most notable example I can think of, in recent memory.<BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Maribel

Julie,<BR>I haven't used europebyair recently, but I did use their services a few years ago to purchase 3 tickets in the summer, from Madrid to Oporto on Portugalia, Madrid to Bilbao on Spanair and from Oviedo to Madrid on AirEuropa. I was given vouchers which I then had to convert to tickets and pay taxes at a different counter before proceeding to the check-in counter , which turned out to be an annoying, time consuming process at Barajas (this may have changed). For the 2 intra Spain flights, it turned out, with the strong dollar to peseta exchange at that time, it would have been slightly cheaper to have purchased those tickets directly through Spanair and AirEuropa. Lesson learned: always check the airlines themselves before assuming that the europebyair $99 voucher is the best deal for your route, although in the case of Barcelona-Venice, I would think a $99 fare *should* beat any other price.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 08:11 PM
ttt

to the top<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Jill

Relevant to the recent Spain-Italy discussions.<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Dennis

I used EuropeByAir a couple of years ago. I got a voucher to go from Prague to Zagreb, Croatia on Croatia Airlines. As mentioned, these vouchers have to be converted to tickets and there is a charge for the taxes. When I arrived at the Prague airport, I walked up and down inside the airport looking for Croatia Airlines several times. I could not believe it. There was no ticket booth for Croatia Airlines. There was no indication whatsoever of Croatia Airlines inside the airport. I ask at an info booth about where Croatia Airlines was. The lady shrugged her shoulders and said "I think that they are at the other end of the building." I walk back down to the other end and still no Croatia airlines. There was another info booth there. I ask the lady and she says that she thinks that Czech Airlines sold tickets for Croatia Airlines. I go to the Czeck Airlines ticket booth and ask the agent if she knew about EuropeByAir and the voucher that I showed her. She shrugged her shoulder and said "I know nothing about what you are talking about." It just happened that I was going to stay in Prague for a few days before going to Zagreb. They did have a ticket office in Prague, but there was another problem trying to locate their office. They were located in an office building that had no sign out front saying that they were located there. I liked my flight on Croatia Airlines, but everyone that handled the voucher/ticket was unsure on what to do with it. I was in Prague last year and Croatia Airlines has moved again in Prague. So before using the vouchers, I would make sure that you can convert the vouchers to tickets at the airport.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Rob

Agree w/Maribel<BR><BR>Can be very useful, but check the airlines directly first (check round trip fares even if you're only going oneway).<BR><BR>Allow extra time to process the coupon at the airport. In addition to surrendering the coupon, you will be responsible for taxes.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:29 AM
topping

topping again...<BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:48 PM
ed

Approximately how much more do airport taxes add to the $99 flights?

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:01 PM
Anyone

Anyone, for ed?<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:25 AM
Are there

The site doesn't say anything about taxes extra.<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:49 AM
John

The taxes will vary by airport - 0 to 10% is the likely range, but could be higher here and there.<BR><BR>You might check out the Intra-Europe plans at OneWorld and Star Alliance - some segments are cheaper than at Europebyair, and service is provided by big carriers (e.g. British Airways) rather than some minor line. See http://www.oneworld.com/products/visit_europe.cfm for example.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:48 PM
Dennis

On my flight from Prague to Zagreb, Croatia, I paid 468 cz extra over the $99 fee. 468 cz is around $13.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:39 PM
up

go up<BR><BR>but keep the taxes down<BR>