Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyplace in America/Canada made you feel you didn't need to go to Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:34 AM
Ann

My last trip to Europe wore me out getting home and yet on the way home (18 hrs) I was already planning my next trip. Is there any place you feel in USA/Canada is worth forgoing Europe for? But I'm interested in Europe lovers thoughts on the local sites (for those of you that live or have been here).

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:38 AM
Judy

Montreal and New York City.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:42 AM
zootsi

Quebec City is as close to Europe as you can get on this side of the pond. Except for the cars, you could actually be in an old French city.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:43 AM
Vita

Hi, Ann. Sure, there are places I'd like to see in the U.S. I don't know that I'd say 'instead of' Europe or anywhere else. I think it's more whatever your preference is at the time. I've been playing around with doing a long weekend in New York. I'd also like to visit the Southwest (e.g., Santa Fe or Grand Canyon) and Alaska. New England fall foliage, California wine country, Shenandoah National Park, and Yosemite are all extraordinary.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:46 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

We were sitting in the Dolomites last Oct. when Susan commented they reminded her of the Tetons. Well, it hit me I had never seen the Tetons. We will be spending 2 weeks seeing Yellowstone and the Tetons in late May. We may take some good Italian wine and pretend.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:21 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>If you want a taste of europe, without the long flights, try some of the lesser known Caribbean locations.<BR>Try Guadeloupe and Martinique ( France with more bananas and cheaper rum ?)<BR><BR>Barbados and many more are similar to UK.<BR><BR>Speak Dutch in St Maartens<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:21 AM
Rex

Biltmore House. Hearst Castle.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:45 AM
Dawn

I second Hearst Castle. Good one Rex.<BR>Also, Solvang and even San Francisco.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:03 AM
David

<BR>Quebec City<BR>New York City<BR>San Francisco<BR>Seattle<BR>Washington D.C.<BR><BR>But I still go to Europe, too.<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:12 PM
tania

Qu&eacute;bec City without a doubt. Stay at the Ch&acirc;teau Frontenac Hotel.<BR><BR>Just like a poster above said, if it weren't for the cars, you'd swear you were in Europe.<BR><BR>Language isn't a problem. Unlike snooty Montrealers, you will be treated very well if you speak English. (PS I am a Montrealer)<BR><BR>San Francisco also has a different but still European flavor.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:21 PM
jane

I also think Hearst Castle is as beautifull as any castle in Europe.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:04 PM
KAM

Boston! Specifically visit the old section of the Public Library, it is beautiful and feels as if you are transported to a time long, long ago!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:07 PM
elvira

Well, they don't make me feel like I don't NEED to go to Europe, but they are a temporary bandaid:<BR><BR>For cities:<BR>Boston<BR>San Francisco<BR>New Orleans<BR>Washington D.C.<BR><BR>For countryside:<BR>Upper New York State looks like the Dordogne Valley<BR>Parts of central Pennsylvania

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:08 PM
xx

Victoria Island - a very Brithish feel to it. Soooooopretty - Buschart Gardens in particular.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:11 PM
Leilani

I don't know that I'd give up Europe for any of the following places, but they're beautiful just the same and give you the feeling of being outside North America: New Orleans, Montreal, Santa Fe, Santa Barbara, the Seacliff and Presidio areas of San Francisco. I've heard the Napa and Sonoma Valleys compared to Tuscany, and Honolulu has the only royal palace in the United States.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:45 PM
Sue

I call Montreal "France without the jet lag"! I don't forego Europe to go there, but it's a nice substitute for even a long weekend, etc. And great air prices generally from here in Pgh.<BR><BR>I'm surprised to see people put Hearst Castle and Solvang on list; I thought Hearst was "over the top decadent", and Solvang is so touristy-kitchy, IMO.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:55 PM
Susan

Another vote for New Orleans. And Napa and Sonoma valley definitely reminds me of Tuscany. Catalina Island?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:24 PM
Jake

Quebec City is only place that really feels like Europe. Montreal feels closer to any other Norh American city. New Orleans may look a bit European, but the people act and look like typical Americans. Same with other US cities mentioned.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:39 PM
Mark

We live in the Sonoma Valley and frequently hear visitors comment how similar this area is to Tuscany. The coast, hills, wine and incredible food has guests competing for visits. We will be visiting Tuscany in three weeks to see for ourselves. If we just talk people other than wineries into building with stone!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:52 PM
Art

I've been to 47 states and there are many beautiful parts of the US. Some of them are Yosimite, Yellowstone, Grand Canyan, Giant Redwoods, Carlsbad caverns, Blue RIdge mountains and caverns, New England esp the Maine coast, Petrafied forest, Painted Desert and too many more to list. Not the same as Europe, but very different and very beautiful.<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -