European Winter Weather

Search

European Winter Weather

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2003, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European Winter Weather

My husband and I would like to take advantage of a bargain European vacation packages at virgin-vacations.com for a trip this January. However, a concern is that although we don't mind cold weather too much, we don't want to be cold AND wet.

We're considering London, Paris, Lisbon, Athens, Rome or Florence. I'm guessing the southernmost cities would be drier, but the prices for London and Paris are awfully appealing, too. Can you guys give us some advice on what to expect, weather-wise, for these cities, or point us towards other resources? Thanks!
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 12:06 AM
AllyPally

As someone who grew up in Canada, I know what real cold feels like. However, now that I live in London, I find it even colder over here!! Just because there isn't snow (i have only witnessed 2 snowfalls, or should I say dustings, in 10 years), doesn't mean it is warm, if you know what I mean. Overall, it is damp, damp, damp and that gets in your bones. It can be damp when it is sunny and then you get a sort of hazy day which can be very beautiful.

I can't speak for the southern cities but for London and Paris you will definitely need to wrap up and bring rain gear.

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 04:44 AM

Here are some websites that give historical weather information

wunderground.com
weatherbase.com
washingtonpost.com
worldclimate.com

I have been to both London & Paris in Jan/Feb. time period. In London, the temps outside are usually warmer than NY, but as AllyPally says, the dampness, regardless of precipitation, makes you feel cold. I always say "now I know why cashmere was invented!" LOL I always appreciate my cashmere sweaters there more than at home. The other issue is indoor heating. For some reason the heat is often too hot or not hot enough. The biggest issue is daylight & "greyness." Days are short! But they're both great cities & most of the major tourist attractions (museums, churches, buildings) are indoors. The big downside in London at that time is missing the beauty of the parks & gardens. But there's still loads to do. I've not been in any of your other cities at that time so can't comment.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 06:32 PM

Paris is also damp, damp damp in the winter....
I suggest Rome.. The winter is very nice there, and even in the coldest days the sun shine and keep you warm .
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:16 AM

What about Lisbon? On another thread ThinGorjus has told me that she would never go to Lisbon in January? Do others agree or disagree? I had looked up the average high temp and it is 58 degrees which doesn't sound too bad.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 06:02 AM

HI
we all have different tolerances for weather nastiness, but I wouldn't let winter cold or rain stop me from seeing any of the cities you mention, esp. if you haven't been.

Except for gardens or the Roman Forum, to name two, many of the local treasures are indoors, and though you can't savor it outside on a terrace, there are plenty of cozy cafes for enjoying a pastry and coffee or a glass of wine.

I do own a pair of short, comfortable, rainboots and they come in very handy for keeping my feet dry and myself happy. Besides, unless you have very bad luck, it's not likely to rain every single day.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 06:10 AM

Rome 81 mm rain, 4 hrs sun, 13C max
Athens 62 mm rain, 4 hrs sun, 13 C max
Lisbon 110 mm rain!, 5 hrs sun, 15C max
London 54 mm rain, 1 hr sun, 6C max

Sad fact is, much of Europe can be wet and or cold in January - warmest/sunniest probably Costa del Sol (how do you think it got its name)
I would probably head south as far as possible, for daylight as much as sun/warmth. Having said that of course there is much to do in London in winter - it depends what you are looking for.