European vacation...where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I would like to take a trip to Europe this June/July for 3-4 weeks but are unsure of which countries to visit.
We have been to Greece and Paris (not the rest of France so we wouldn't mind going back).
Some ideas we have are England, France, Italy and Spain (obviously not all in one trip) but are very open to any other suggestions.

If you have any recommendations for countries/cities and hotels (150-200 Euros) that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:16 PM
rex

I think you CAN do justice to England (5-7 days), one or two adjoining region(s) of France (4-8 days) and two-four "destination(s)/area(s)" in Italy (8-12 days) in a total of 17-27 days. The proliferation of low-cost air carriers withIN Europe has made it very practical tt move BETWEEN these three countries -- and an open jaw air travel plan to/from Europe can make this a very feasible itinerary.

A car rental of 3-7 days in France and/or the same in Italy can provide much of your INTRA-country travel needs. Depending on the amount to which you choose to focus on "the big three" in Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice), train travel might sharply reduce the justification for you to rent a car in Italy at all.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Rex for the help.
I should add that we don't want to be running around our whole trip so do you think that maybe 3 countries is pushing it?
We want to see as much as possible but without tiring ourselves out.
Thanks
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:29 PM
rex

Well, you listed four countries - - so I gave an example of how you COULD do meaningful sampling of three of the four, lest I disappoint you. If you're willing to pare down to two, I'm all for that too. Then, the questions are: which two? and whether you want a relatively even split between the two or visit one in greater depth, and make a contrasting "counter-note" of the other country by inserting a few/three-day excursion in the middle or at the end.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi Rex,
I truly am thankful for your suggestion. I did not intend to sound disappointed.
I just want to hear what countries people in Europe like best. The countries I stated are just some ideas we had although we would not want to visit them all in one trip as that is way too much.
What are your favourite countries? We are certainly open to any ohter recommendations.
Are the ones we are thinking about on the top of yours or anyone's list?
Thanks Rex
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:58 PM
cmt

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...amp;tid=903967
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:59 PM
cmt

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1401837
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:12 PM
rex

My favo[u]rites?

Liver and onions...

no, I mean Rib eye steak...

no, I mean Cassoulet...

no, I mean Coconut shrimp...

My choice(s) needn't be yours.

It's time to hit the books, Petula. Big picture-filled ones are the best ones at this stage. Visualize yourself there. It's time to get in touch with your inner appetites, and start to salivate.

"We" will help you with the practicalities of how to put it together into an itinerary, whether it's one country, or a sampler of two, three or four. There are no bad choices.

Turn your sparks of dreams into flames, and throw gasoline on them.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:46 AM

Petula,
What are your interests?
Museums, historic architecture?
Towns, country life, mountain views?
Do you like the sea, the mountains? Do you like your holidays in 40?C or do you like it a bit cooler?
Do you like seeing a lot at a good pace, or living somewhere for a week and just 'absorbing the local atmosphere and scene'?

Suppose I told you I visited Montana and Mississipi, and now I have some ideas for Delaware, California, Utah and Kansas... what would you suggest to me?
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:49 AM

I notice you didn't consider germany switzerland or austria. Please don't leave them out of your plans. You seem to have plenty of time for a trip so you can probably include one of these if you wish.