European 22 day panorama trip

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European 22 day panorama trip

Leaving April 5 2007 on European Trip 22 days plus 2 days before and 2 days post trip. Starting in London, ending in Paris. I usually plan and do my own trips on the Internet, even International. I'm using a local Travel Agent this time and am trying to be "considerate" but I know what I want. I chose my trip before I talked with her, told her my likes, dislikes, reasons for the trip, and needs. She e-mailed my 1st airline itinerary flying to London and leaving London. I pointed out I would be leaving from Paris. I had told her no 1st row seats, no last row seats and no center aisle seats. I'm flying 1st Class. The 2nd itinerary corrected to leave from Paris, but all center aisle seats. It took her several days to change them and get back to me. I asked her X3 to fax a copy of the itinerary to me at my hotel because my passport was recently stolen and I have to apply for another. I travel in my work but met in person with her regarding this trip X2. She has not faxed the itinerary to my hotel. I'm beginning to think that she has gotten whatever commission she gets from Globus Tours, the airline, or whatever and is just sort of becoming "disinterested"?? Is this the usual response of a Travel Agent regarding a $15,000.00 trip? Am I being too demanding? Need some input on this. Are most Travel Agents not used to Travelers who insist on what they want up front? LYNNZ
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:31 PM

I hardly ever use travel agents, but when I have I have expected, and gotten, exactly what I wanted from them.

Sounds like she's just not listening to anything you are telling her, so fire her and hire someone who will.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

St Cirq: Its a little late since I've already paid for the trip to fire her. This is why I've preferred to do my own trips. So I guess I will just have to be persistent and"demanding", which I will be, because after all, it is my trip. But I appreciate your reinforcement of my thoughts of her lack of interest and what i would have done if she had exhibited such from the start. Its sad that many travel agents lose lucrative clients due to their lack of good ethical work. Thanks LynnZ
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:37 PM

I thought travel agents were really hurting these days and needed to work extra hard to get their commissions. Maybe I'm not understanding your relationship with this person. Are you booking a Globus Tour? If so, do you have any recourse with Globus?

At any rate, at the end of the day my response is the same - someone's getting paid to plan your trip for you and if they don't plan it the way you want it, they aren't doing their job.

I'm not a travel agent but I do work "on the side" as an itinerary planner. If I didn't spend hours and hours with a client with my own questionnaire findig out exactly wht they want to do, how much they want to spend, what kind of travelers they are, etc., I'd feel I was wasting my time and not giving my clients what they wanted. And I'm sure they'd let me know, too, that I wasn't doing my job.

Being a travel agent is a service job like many others. You listen to your client's needs, respect them even if you think you have better ideas, and fulfill them to the best of your ability. You don't ignore their wishes or change their plans. Period.

Best of luck to you. Stick to your guns.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Just what I was thinking. That sounds like a job for a Travel Planner. They act more like an architect helping to build a house. Travel agents just aren't use to that anymore.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

St Cirq...What an unusual name.. Thanks for your answer. I'm looking forward to this trip to reintroduce my son to Europe eand several days ago asked the agent to arrange a Dawn or Dusk trip to Stonehenge and a day trip to Paris Disneyland. I had told her that this was the reason for the 2 days pre-trip and post-trip, and that if I was unable to do this on my own, that I would need her to take care of this. I notified her a week ago that i had tried to schedule the trips online and had not had any response. I'm still waiting for a response from her. I have e-mailed her asking for a response. How do these people stay in business? I assume that they are use to people coming in, being told "where to go, when to leave and being happy with just getting there". What an injustice to their clients LynnZ
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 02:00 AM

TA or "planner" or whatever you want to call it..IMO YOU need to get off the phone and the e-mail to this person you hired and WALK INTO the place where she works and GET everything you need.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 02:24 AM

Hi Lynn, I am not a travel agent, but I know the industry. Tour operators like Globus give a commission to travel agents anywhere from 8-14% generally. I am not sure when the "check is cut" (usually after travel in most cases), but if you have paid, it would be a serious pain to cancel your trip with them flat out, since you would be liable for any and all cancellation fees.

If the agent hasn't gotten back to you yet with the info you need, I suggest calling the office and asking for that person's manager. That usually works. I would be certain to let them know that all of your friends will know about the less than wonderful service you have received. (And I can't imagine that they would want you to post anything on Fodors about their bad customer service). It won't hurt to talk to a Globus customer service rep as well. Since you have ultimately paid for their tour, they will want to know if anyone has "issues" before the tour actually starts.

Oh yeah! Fire that agent when all is set!

Good luck!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:07 AM
ira

Hi X,

>I usually plan and do my own trips on the Internet, even International.<

An excellent idea.

For what you are paying, I think that you have not gotten the appropriate service.

You have to speak to that person's supervisor.

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

You are my heroes!!!! I feel vindicated in that i am not a "difficult" client. I have e-mailed her repeatedly and will call the manager if no response. Unfortunately, I'm in surgery most days with really crazy hours and conduct most business by e-mail even (even some loving responses like valentines day) but this trip is so important to me that I'm not willing to compromise. Thanks so much..but this is an interesting entry to a blog to prolog my trip. Thanx LYNNZ
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:53 PM

That's really sad. I'm sure you'll travel again. Next time hire a Trip Planner instead.