Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Europe without the Euro - or where to go if you're on a budget?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Europe, the people, history and the food. However the Euro is killing me.

Any real bargains left? Eastern Europe or do I need to venture further afield?
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 05:26 PM

We visited Lithuania a year and a half ago. It fits your bill, and the costs are much more reasonable. Look for an extensive trip report under my name. Romania is for those a bit more adventuresome, but it too is a fascinating and intriguing destination. The Czech Repubic, outside of Prague, is also quite affordable and very interesting. We've visited Budapest twice and really liked it. Krakow is another favorite as are other parts of southern Poland (not Zakopane though).

So, you've got lots of possibilites. We too have given up on Western Europe because of the state of the dollar. Our problem is that we've already visited many of these other marvelous places so are even more limited when looking for affordable place to visit.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 05:42 PM

turnip, what kind of budget are you looking at?

While not cheap, we find that we can still stay in reasonably priced hotels in Germany and parts of Austria. On our recent trip, we stayed in several nice properties for 56E, 65E and 74E. We also had two "suites" with bedroom and separate sitting area in Bernkastel and Berchtesgaden for 85E and 84E respectively. A lot of hotel for the money.

All of our hotels had good breakfast buffets and there are lots of way to economize on other meals by visiting the local market for sandwiches, fruit, cheeses, etc.

While we could afford some splurges, you can definitely have a good vacation in these two beautiful countries without breaking the bank.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi turnip,
I agree with bettyk here. While I don't know you're definition of "budget", we just returned from Germany (Mosel, Rothenburg area, Berchtesgaden area) and the most expensive place we stayed (on the Mosel) was 60 Euros a night for 2 with buffet breakfast. The other 2 places we stayed charged just 46 (Berchtesgaden area) and 48 Euros (Rothenburg area) a night. We've had the same experiences recently in Austria and the Dolomites in Italy. I think it's just a matter of staying outside the major cities and staying in nice, family run Pensions.

Paul
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 07:59 PM

Paul, I just checked the Rebenhof website and the cheapest double room they are showing is 80E plus. How did you get a 60E rate?
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 02:38 AM
ira

Hi t,

Where would you like to go, and what is your budget?

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 03:33 AM

Try visiting the smaller cities. Hotels in large cities can be very expensive.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 03:57 AM

Lisbon is a great deal overall.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 04:28 AM

Czech Republic (Prague) and Slowakia (Bratislava) are still very affortable.

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 06:27 AM

I too agree with Germany. We found excellent deals (most under 50 euro per night) on hotels and vacation apartments in southern Germany. The grocery stores were fairly inexpensive so with an apartment with a kitchen one could cook to save money, although we found the restaurants to be reasonably priced as well.

I believe Romania and Bulgaria are still fairly inexpensive. Many suggest Croatia but we really didn't find it to be that inexpensive, and the hotels were often more than what we would have paid in western Europe.

South America (many recommend Buenos Aires) and various parts of Asia may still be a good bargain, although I haven't ventured to South America and have only been to Japan in Asia, which wasn't inexpensive.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Trouble with Euro for us form U.S. is, that it's not just the hotel rates. It's the food and other things you may do. And if you're renting a car, that's a big bite, too.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
For bettyk...
I just checked the Rebenhof website this morning...23 - 30 Euro per person/per night.

www.hotel-rebenhof.com

http://www.hotel-rebenhof.com/index....&Itemid=27

Paul
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 07:44 AM

For some reason, I think the link I took from your trip report is for a different hotel (in Baden Baden). That's the problem.

http://www.hotel-rebenhof.de/

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...pja1&fid=2

Thanks for the correct link.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 07:57 AM

Hi turnip---you're bound to receive some great advice here.

This recent article we published compiled many of the budget saving tips mentioned on the forums with quotes from posters (and links to good budget threads).

http://www.fodors.com/news/story_2838.html
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:21 AM

Renting a gite from the listings on gites-de-france can be very affordable. You can cook some of your meals in and save quite a bit. They are located all over France.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 10:12 AM

January of 2003 the dollar and Euro were at par. Today the dollar is worth about .7 of a Euro. Travel in the Euro zone will cost 30% more in dollars than in 2003. Similarly costs will be up between 5 and 10% for now and 2008. What has happened to your USA income? Since 2003? Since 2006?

Bargains abound, but most are date sensitive. Chances are you can travel in January and February for half the cost of June and July!.

Prices are determined by demand and supply. The influx of labor immigrants to the UK has soaked up low cost housing. Europeans as well as Asians are now in the travel market.

Bite the bullet! Travel now...
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 10:21 AM

A gorgeous white village in Andalucia Spain is VERY cheap outside of high season.

Turkey is a SUPER bargain even during high season and fantastic! Western Turkey is actually more modern than much of Europe at less than half the price, the food is delicious and the hospitality the best on the planet.

As far as history there ..its unbelievable..more Greek and Roman ruins there than in Greece or Italy!!

Americans worry it is unsafe, but Europeans flock there because they know what a super bargain it is.

Anywhere outside of the big cities makes Europe much more affordable. It is easy to find good lodging in most places for 20 to 30 euros a night, but you might have to walk up some stairs.

Great food is really cheap even in Prague.

Try camping (bungalows, tent or RV) which is a great way to meet middle class europeans and save money at teh same time. They are much more luxurious than you might imagine and VERY cheap.

We have been traveling all over Europe for very cheap. You might want to check our blog archives for ideas:

http://www.soultravelers3.com/
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 10:45 AM

We had a great time in Croatia, just on the other side of the Adriatic from Italy. Not in the European Union yet, and prices were quite reasonable.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 11:28 AM

I think that the biggest money saver can be a low plane fare, often available if you can travel off season. When we went to Barcelona last March, the tickets were $624 each. In July, they would have been in the $1400 per ticket range. Multiply the $776 difference by the 5 tickets we bought and that comes to $3880. You can see that snagging a great fare will save you a lot of money faster than saving even 150 euro a night on the hotel room.