Search

Europe vacation

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe vacation

I am traveling with my husband and 14year old grandson to London in early August. We have arranged accommodation in a B&B near Gatwick Airport, where we will be landing. After three days of sight seeing in London, we are planning to travel to Paris.
What is the most hassle free way to cross to France; plane, chunnel or ferry?
Also, where should we stay in Paris? Are hotel rooms air conditioned? A friend of ours had a not-so-romantic honeymoon in Paris last August, suffering temperatures of 42 celcius, and no air conditioning.
Thank you for your help.

Old May 18th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Chunnel (anal anathema to some Brits who insist it only be called the Channel Tunnel) could be the cheapest if you book early enough. Youth fare for under 26 could be as low as $52 or so and $89 for those over (US prices, check www.eurostar.com for prices in pounds which can be cheaper but always check both sides - but these tickets are few and far between so book early. In US i always recommend BETS (800-441-2387) for their great service and expertise - but if you just show up could be much more expensive - hundreds of dollars so. Can book in US nine months in advance and guarantee fare. But look into airlines which also can be cheap but maybe not from Gatwick. Ferry/train would be more expensive usually and an all-day marathon.

I question staying in a B&B near Gatwick for three nights - long expensive commute from London. I had a B&B in Lee last year for 21 pounds with breakfast and just 20 min train ride from London tourist centre.

You can't beat Eurostar for convenience as far as I'm concerned. Goes right to the center of Paris at Gare de Nord. As far as I'm concerned I will never go from London to Paris any other way. Having said that, I don't know about prices these days, or price of Eurostar compared to low cost airline, and perhaps price may be a consideration for you.

Check flights from Gatwick since you are staying out by the airport. That is quite a way from downtown. If you were closer to downtown, I would say take the train. Ferry has the best view in my opinion. And you can get a drink, too.
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
WHY are you staying near Gatwick? It is not in or even near London. it is more than 30 miles away. If you are visiting London for all 3 days, staying at Gatwick make no sense <u>AT ALL</u>. Get a hotel in London either near Victoria Station or near Waterloo station. Victoria is convenient for the train in from Gatwick and Waterloo is convenient for the train to Paris. They won't cost much more than the place at Gatwick but will end up a lot cheaper if you factor in what you'll have to spend commuting back and forth. Plus staying that far out of town means you can't ever return to your hotel in the middle of the day to change clothes, drop off shopping, or just relax for a few minutes.

(BTW - re wally's suggestion -- unfortunately there are no flights from Gatwick to Paris.)
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:12 AM

The Ferrys run from England's south coast, some 70 miles from London and arrive on the north coast of France about a hundred miles from Paris. You would need a car from the French side.

The Channel tunnel train can be piciked up in London (Waterloo station) and will take you to the Gare du Nord in Paris. Sometimes it is very expensive and sometimes a bit expensive. You would have to check on the time you want to go though I suspect very expensive for August as it's the school holidays.

If you decide on a flight (or train), book it soon.

You have left it quite late for booking a hotel room for August in Paris. This looks OK though I've never stayed there:

http://www.parishotels.com/Le_New_Ho...d_star_en.html

Are you staying in Gatwick and travelling into London every day? If so, I'll tell you it's hard work. You are better staying in London. Also Paris will be VERY crowded in August.

A tip. You'll find currency exchange bureaus in London, some who charge no commission. Use those to change your money into euros or when you get to Paris, you'll wish you had.
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:15 AM

August is low season in Paris, it isn't too late at all to book a room there, there will be no problem.

Your questions about Paris hotels have simple solutions -- yes, Paris has plenty of hotels with AC if you want to book and pay for one. And no, they are not super-expensive (especially in August when many have lower rates). Your friend obviously was cheap or something and didn't book one, but you easily can if you want.
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:26 AM

&quot;<i>A tip. You'll find currency exchange bureaus in London, some who charge no commission. Use those to change your money into euros or when you get to Paris, you'll wish you had.</i>&quot;

Sorry - but that is a bad idea. Use your ATM card to get &pound; in London and to get &euro; in Paris. Plan so you don't have a lot of &pound; left over before you head to Paris. Exchanging currency for currency is a losing proposition just about anywhere.
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Your friend was either joking or not in Paris last August : it was rather cold, we had only a couple of days over 25C at the very beginning of the month and the rest around 20
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Yes - does your honeymooning friend exaggerate about other things too
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:41 PM

And think about the journey itself - grandson has probably flown planes but not many 186 mph trains like the Eurostar is - and a lovely under 3 hour ride - the experience of going thru the world's longest underwater tunnel then blasting thru the quintessential be-steepled French countryside right into the heart of paris. the journey and experience can't be beat by flying though on a clean day you may see the Manche (or 'English' Channel to Brits).
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:03 PM

On the other hand, temperatures of 42C are not unheard of in Paris in August, if not very common. 30-35C is not at all uncommon. And it is easy to book a hotel room with poor ventilation and no A/C if you don't pay attention.

Based on my experience,
I think air conditioning is extremely welcome if the Paris temperature gets over about 27C (~80F). And you should also check what the hotel means by A/C - some use feeble systems that aren't very useful.
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:26 PM

IMO the Eurostar is the only way to go, especially for such an easy leg between London and Paris.

Flying within Europe is not so convenient, with the liquid restrictions, line ups for security and check-in , the cost of getting to and from the airport, plus all that time just sitting around waiting.

I also agree that you should re-think your accomadations near Gatwick. You probably won't save much money since you'll be spending a lot more to get into and out of London every day, not to mention wasting valuable time commuting.

If you gave us an idea of your budget, I'm sure someone can make an appropriate suggestion for more central accomodation. Paris, too.

I think it's really nice to take your grandson, by the way
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:34 PM

I think 42 is pretty unheard of in Paris in August, although it must have happened a couple times. I looked up the history last August and the highs ranged up to only 26 (78 F) on 8/7, and that was only on a couple days. Most temps were around 20-23. I was there the year before in August, when it was pretty moderate also (2005). Those highs were only 19-25 the entire month (66-77 Far) until the last two days when it was 31-32C.

July is actually hotter than August in Paris, statistically. And while summer may have more tourists in Paris from some countries, it is low hotel rate season (and lower occupancy) because many French people go elsewhere for their August vacation, like the beachers, and mainly because major city's hotel rates and occupancy are usually related to business, not tourism, and business travelers are not in Paris much in August. Cities very much dependent only on tourism may have their rates revolve solely around tourists, but Paris doesn't and a lot of capitals do not. It is pretty easy to get a 10-25 pct discount on Paris hotel rooms in August in many hotels.
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Mayflower, your &quot;friend&quot; has a wicked sense of humor. 42 celsius is roughly 107 F. The hottest temperature recorded in Paris last August was 78F. There were only 2 days total that month with highs over 75. I'm glad they had a hot honeymoon, but the weather had nothing to do with it.

And although I don't see the suggestion, I believe it makes more sense if you're staying near Gatwick to go to Ashford and take the Eurostar from there to Paris, rather than going into London to do it.
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:45 PM

But I understood there are 3 days of sightseeing in London between arriving at Gatwick and departing for Paris?
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:39 PM

I remember reading that temperatures reached 106F in the infamous August 2003 heatwave. But no, it hasn't been anywhere near that since.
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Oops, sorry NeoPatrick, I read your post as &quot;it makes more sense to stay near Gatwick and go to Ashford and take the Eurostar from there&quot;- as though they were landing and doing a one-night stay before heading off to Paris.
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:40 AM

The currently running post about Curbing Carbon Emissions dictate that environmentally friendly folks will take the train and eschew ozone-depelting plane. The planet's future depends on it! Explain this to your grandson to give him a perspective into acting green.
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:47 AM

There was a heat wave last year in July in all Europe. A friend of mine was in Paris and he says there were temperatures above 45 celsius, only for two days, though Maybe your friend meant July ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -