Europe trip itinerary suggestions

Old Sep 11th, 2019, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe trip itinerary suggestions

Hi guys. I and my friend in our late twenties are planning to go an europe trip from 27th of this month to the 15th of october.

We plan to fly to and return back from Paris.

Here is a initial plan we have come up with:

Day 1,2 Paris
Day 3 Brussels
Day 4,5 Amsterdam
Day 6, 7 Cologne, Frankfurt
Day 8,9 Munich (oktoberfest)
Day 10,11 Berlin
Day 12,13 Prague
Day 14, 15, 16 Vienna, Budapest
Day 17, 18 Dubrovnik (croatia)
Day 19 Paris (flight from dubrovnik to paris)

Planning to take the eurail pass as I am a non-european and use it for my entire trip. Costs about 550$ (15 days in 2 months) as per raileurope. Is it worth taking this pass or better to buy individual train tickets while travelling between countries ?

Also, for booking hotels/apartments/hostels, will airbnb be the cheapest option since we are on a budget ?

Also, please recommend any changes to itinerary and suggest any exotic/scenic places to visit in the countries listed above .

We were planning to include spain and portugal too, but looks to be a bit of detour and requires more days. Or we were thinking of replacing some countries above with these two if spain and portugal are worth visiting this october.
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 03:45 AM

In most cases. a Eurrail pass is not worth it, but you have to do a lot of math to come to that conclusion. You have left it very late to get good deals on train tickets, though.

You might benefit from open-jaw tickets instead of committing yourselves to backtracking to Paris to fly home.

I don't see any time built into that schedule to see exotic or scenic places, but if it's your first trip to Europe most of it will seem exotic and scenic anyway. OTOH you're going to spend almost all your waking hours in transit rather than actually visiting anywhere, so there won't be much time for scenery other than looking out of train windows.

Airbnb may or may not be the cheapest option. You'll have to research that. Also be aware that a lot of Airbnb properties in certain European countries are illegal, so make sure if it's an apartment it has an official registration number. And since you mention being on a budget, I assume you know the more frequently you move around, the higher the costs go.

Every country in Europe is "worth visiting," and October is often one of the nicest months to do so. But your schedule is already jam-packed, so I wouldn't go adding on any destinations at this point.

Last edited by StCirq; Sep 11th, 2019 at 03:47 AM.
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 04:12 AM

You haven't accounted for travel time. If you say 'day 1,2 Paris' does that mean you stay there 2 nights?
Day 3 Brussels; traveling from Paris to Brussels, stay one night?
Move on to Amsterdam on Day 4, so you get there around noon, and on day 5 you move on to Cologne to spend day 6 there, or are you traveling to Cologne on day 6? Either way you don't have 2 days in Amsterdam.
List the number of nights you have in each place; 2 nights in Paris gives you 1 full day + a bit maybe on arrival and departure day.
Plan this out including the actual travel times; you are spending way too much time traveling rather than being there.
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 04:15 AM

Hi,

I'm afraid you left planning this a bit late. Don't expect to find accommodation(or at least affordable accommodation) in Munich for the Oktoberfest.

Your plan is totally crazy. Don't worry, that's a typical mistake that most newbies make. Trying to see way too many places in a limited time.

11 destinations(scattered among 8 countries) in 19 days, that's less than 2 days/city and travelling from one place to the other takes time too. The train may take only 3-4 hours between most cities, but you'll have to check out, go to the station in time, you may get delayed(Europe is not Japan, trains often run late), once you arrive you need to find the new accommodation, check in, have a shower, etc. At the best you'll have only a half day left.

"Also, for booking hotels/apartments/hostels, will airbnb be the cheapest option since we are on a budget ?"

Hostel dormitories will be the cheapest.

"Costs about 550$ (15 days in 2 months) as per raileurope. Is it worth taking this pass or better to buy individual train tickets while travelling between countries ?"

If you're going with this itinerary the Eurailpass will probably be cheaper than buying point to point tickets, since the cheap tickets usually sell out more than a month before the trip, you're too late for that. You won't need the 15 days pass however, since you'll have only 9 travel days. You may do Amsterdam Frankfurt in 1 day with a stop in Cologne or you may skip Frankfurt and go straight to Munich from Cologne or you may skip Munich altogether since you're too late to book Oktoberfest. You should go for the 7 days pass or the 10 days pass and you should skip at least a few destinations unless you won't to continue the great American tradition of travelling around Europe in the fashion of "If this is Tuesday it must be Belgium."
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 04:58 AM

Hi bobdxcool,

Please note that you are moving from north (Paris/Brussels/Amsterdam/Cologne) to south (Munich) to north (Berlin) to south (Prague/Vienna/Dubrovnic) to north (Paris), wasting quite a lot of time in travel and backtracking. It would be better to move onward in one direction...and also better to fly open-jaw, into Paris and out of Dubrovnic (or in that area). Even if you have to pay a change fee, it will be worth it to save time and money backtracking.

I live south of Munich and can confirm that there aren't any moderate-rate rooms left. You may want to try camping -- there are some camp spots available at booking.com. Alternatives are to pay a lot or to stay somewhere outside of the city and commute in.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Based on everyone's suggestions, I have cut down on the number of places.

Also, now I plan to land in paris and leave from prague (works out cheapest for our dates). I dont intend to see too much in paris (as I have been here before), but see only a few important places here as my friend who accompanies me hasn't seen paris before (he isn't much interested in paris as well). So would spend a fewer days here.

Germany: Munich, Berlin, Rhine valley/black forest

Netherlands: Amsterdam

Czech republic: Prague

Hungary: Budapest

Austria: Vienna

France: Paris

Cannot miss Oktoberfest in Munich.

So, the plan is to do the above in around 18-20 days. Please suggest an itinerary to travel all these places. Also, please suggest any scenic mountains and any other good nature spots close to these cities which I will try to accommodate if time permits. If needed, I'm ready to drop out on one more city from the above list if it still looks undoable.

I want to party the most , see some good scenic spots and also see a bit of European architecture.
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 12:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd cut Amsterdam, not that it's not worth a visit, but it's the most out of your way geographically. And that still leaves you with 8 destination in only 18-20 days (!!) so barely two maybe two and a half days in each place once you subtract all the travel time.
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by bobdxcool View Post
Based on everyone's suggestions, I have cut down on the number of places.

Also, now I plan to land in paris and leave from prague (works out cheapest for our dates). I dont intend to see too much in paris (as I have been here before), but see only a few important places here as my friend who accompanies me hasn't seen paris before (he isn't much interested in paris as well). So would spend a fewer days here.

Germany: Munich, Berlin, Rhine valley/black forest

Netherlands: Amsterdam

Czech republic: Prague

Hungary: Budapest

Austria: Vienna

France: Paris

Cannot miss Oktoberfest in Munich.

So, the plan is to do the above in around 18-20 days. Please suggest an itinerary to travel all these places. Also, please suggest any scenic mountains and any other good nature spots close to these cities which I will try to accommodate if time permits. If needed, I'm ready to drop out on one more city from the above list if it still looks undoable.

I want to party the most , see some good scenic spots and also see a bit of European architecture.
Your new plan - not much of an improvement, sorry. You will still spend more time in transit than seeing anything.

As others have said before your update: have you found lodging in Munich?? You WILL pay a premium this late in the game and you said you're on a budget... Have you even looked? If Munich for Oktoberfest is a must-see, you may need to accept the fact that it may not be possible on THIS trip. I went in 2013 and booked 6 months in advance and even then I had trouble finding lodging. It has gotten worse. But you may get lucky.

If you actually are not really interested in Paris...why waste the time or money getting into or out of it? Take Paris out, your friend can go back on a different trip.

Stick with Amsterdam, Brussles maybe Berlin and Prague - max. Some these may offer the "party" you desire along with architecture.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; Sep 12th, 2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 08:14 AM

It's difficult to plan such a big trip in the last minute without any previous experience. Perhaps you should treat this trip as a learning experience. You're going to make mistakes, but that doesn't mean you won't enjoy your trip at all. After the trip you can learn from your own mistakes and help you to preper better for your next trip and do it better. Just like with everything in life really.
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 10:45 AM

I would suggest you check Google maps and see how long the train rides are in between the cities you want to visit. And then drop some more cities.
If Octoberfest in Munich is a must I would say:
Paris - Munich 8.2 hours
Munich - Prague 5 hours
Prague - Vienna 4 hours
Vienna - Budapest 2.3 hours
Budapest - Paris Fly
The times are what is given by google maps. So actual durations can still be different.
It's still a lot, so good luck!
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 10:48 AM

These train times from googlemaps are pretty much spot on, but it's best to use www.bahn.com to check train schedules.
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 02:50 PM

Honestly?
Id pick one country. Probably Germany or Italy. And really dig in. Partly because of the short notice.

Id definitely cut the expensive spots on your itinerary, like Amsterdam. I love Paris, but my guess is that you can find an equally cheap flight to somewhere in Germany. Paris is expensive when it comes to hostels, and it seems like a nonsensical waste of travel time if neither of you are interested.

Old Sep 12th, 2019, 03:02 PM

Your new itinerary still doesn't work. You're SO late to the planning, and SO uncertain about everything, I agree, go to one country on this trip, then go home and get yourself in gear for a well-planned trip in the future. When you have more sense and more money.
Old Oct 30th, 2022, 11:26 AM

Did you ever take this trip?
Old Oct 30th, 2022, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
Yes I did. And we saw the Northern Lights, to boot. Wait a second. First of all I am not the OP, and second of all, did not see the Northern Lights. Street lights maybe.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
Yes successfully competed it.