Europe Trip Ideas...Realistic or Not?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok! So in less than a year I am planning on doing my first ever Euro trip with a few recent college grads like myself. I have no goals other than spending the most amount of time there as possible, and spend as little as money as I can. I am looking for advice between the 3 trip ideas that I have in my head. Everything has to end in Italy, cause one of my friends going is full Italian and has been wanting to go "home" since he was conceived . So basic understandings as to why I picked these Places and trips. As you will see, Zurich or Madrid are the cheapest flights from LAX to Europe, thus creating two places I will arrive in (remember college student). I want to try and hit as many different countries as I can but not feel rushed. I am hoping for about a 3-4 week trip.
Trip 1= Fly into Zurich spend a week heading East into Southern Germany for a few days/week, come back to Zurich go into West Switzerland and then head South into Italy hitting many of the main places (Milan, Florence) on the way to Rome.
Trip 2= (recent suggestion from a friend really wanting to see Croatia)
We fly into Zurich then, like before, head East into Southern Germany but this time keep going and make our way into Austria, through Slovenia and then arrive in Croatia before catching a boat across into Italy.
Trip 3=Fly into Madrid, spend sometime in the city before heading directly to the coast. My friends obsession with Ibiza will coast us a night or two but catch the ferry back to Barcelona from there backpack/hitch hiking/anything that takes us along the coast of Mediterranean through Southern France and into Italy and Rome that way. (is this realistic for a 3/4week trip?
I have two concerns. One is of the first two and if we are backpacking this, the alps come into play right? haha...we are all in good shape but that seems ridiculous for the most experienced climber and thats not what this trip is for.
Second of all, the third trip, we just cover so many miles that it would come out to having to cover 50 miles a day. Are there any rails that go through these areas that might be able to help speed things up?
All are pretty intense ideas to do on a limited budget but I want to see as many things as I can because I dont know when/if I will ever get to do this again. There are Pros/Cons about each trip but any suggestions, ideas, concerns, tips are extremely appreciated

Thanks for everyones help!
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 08:54 AM
ira

Hi ra,

>the third trip, we just cover so many miles that it would come out to having to cover 50 miles a day. ....<

You could throw darts at a map.

May I suggest that you and your friends do some homework with various guidebooks, find out where you would like to go and come back for help in making your itinerary better?

Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

I think that is a great point. I personally dont really care what I see. I have places I would like to go but nothing that blows me away. Like I stated, Rome is the one place I would really like to see, thus why all the trips end there but everything else is just to say that I want to go there and explore and enjoy getting lost.

P.S. Getting my college friends to do any type of research for this would be asking them to write a paper haha..I am just determined to make this trip incredible.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

be like*
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:17 AM

Just a couple of comments on hitching:

If there are more than two of you, you will have to split up for any chance of rides. This can lead to varied results, particularly arrival times. Not as big an issue now in the age of texting.

Usually slowest form of travel, so place a value on your limited time in Europe and decide if hitching is "worth it."

There are good train, ferry, flight connections to all locations in your possible itineraries. Cover "50 miles a day"? Do you mean 500? I like your trip #2 and think you should work on refining that one.

Good luck from a hitcher of a "few" years back, but I had three months and also relied on trains for long hauls.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Town. I was considering splitting up for the rides but wasn't real worried about meeting up later. I got the 50 miles a day from a map. I did the trail and it added up to close to 1500/1600 miles total, and divided it by 30 days..comes out to about 50 but lets be honest..50 miles a day is not that realistic. Trip 2 is growing on me as well just not sure if catching the boat trip from Croatia to Italy would be financially cheap but it sounds like it would be that fun. Any places you would recommend seeing?
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:33 AM

Ditto what ira said.

Besides that:

Check whichbudget.com for cheap intra-Europe flights.
Few "college kids" travel by thumb these days when €30 can get you from one side of Europe to the other by plane.

You can go almost anywhere in Europe from Ibiza by non-stop flights. No need to backtrack to BCN.

Italy can be the most expensive place of the ones you have in mind, Croatia and Germany much less so. Check how far your budget will take you.

Hiking across Spain in summer heat is more streneous than the Alps. You don't actually think about hiking, do you?

Spain has great low-budget train fares (if you book far in advance) or cheap intercity buses.

Railpasses could be a good solution, especially if you are a student. But they are not always the cheapest solution, so you need to check them against prices for point-to-point (discount) fares.
And, yes, rails go anywhere you plan to go. Except Ibiza

With the sometimes random pricing system of low-budget airlines, the shortest way is not always the cheapest to travel.
If you were in Ibiza, it could be much cheaper (just an example) to fly 2hrs to Berlin, spend a few days there, and fly south again to Milan than to ferry (is this a verb after all?) back to BCN and train thru Southern France to No. Italy.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:35 AM

There are lots of regional train and buses in Europe that provide great transportation at budget prices. I would use those, hitch hiking with a group probably won't work. A majority of European cars are very tiny.

With a budget, I wouldn't step foot in Switzerland, things are incredibly expensive there. Germany and Austria have much better prices. Italy is also more expensive, but not as bad at Switzerland.

I'd personally look into Berlin, Munich/Bavaria, and the Austrian Alps as destinations based off what you said in your post as what you initially wanted to do.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:42 AM

I just realized something. Are you planning on hiking this trip? I would not recommend that unless you plan on staying in one country the whole time.

A ferry won't be that cheap, but it won't be expensive either. If you can't afford a ferry you might have to reconsider this trip. Planes there are not cheap(around $1000) and add in food/lodging/siteseeing/transportation and the horrible exchange rate you are going to spend a lot. Most young people say 50 euro ($70ish) per day is the bare minimum required to travel through Europe without any transportation costs.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Cowboy,
Thanks for the website, I will look at those inner flights and see if I cant find something cheaper. Did not even consider the summer heat, but that is a great point. The ferry back to Barcelona was just an impulse of me considering that to be the cheapest but thanks for opening up the idea of flying elsewhere, I would love to make it 3+ countries, but figured it would be way too expensive.

Lindy, good tip on the trains, public transportation is a mystery me living in LA. Good tips on the pricing, the flights to Switzerland are dirt cheap but maybe they make up for it, with high consumer goods. Unfortunately, the group wants Italy most of all and I am going to take one for the team and say okay to it, we just might not stay as long as previously thought. Like before though, Trip 2 has received the most praise, your Munich/Bavaria/Austria idea, falls right in line with that.

Thanks for both of your guys input!
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I, too would vote for #2. Croatia can be cheap, at least for food and transport, as can Montenegro, and Albania would be even cheaper (see http://tinyurl.com/3muv25k ). I'd get out of Switzerland fast, because of the expense - Austria is cheaper and the mountains are still very good. Nothing says you can't look at the Alps without climbing them, lol.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 10:09 AM

You can make this happen. I would not be too concerned about the number of places you can go. Just make sure you go. Ususally more countries mean more costs (for the travel). But that doesn't mean you can't do just that - it just means a lot more planning. Check out Lonely Planet for budget ideas. Their Thorn Tree is like this (forum) site only geared to a younger and cheaper (less expensive) crowd. More of a back packer thing than Fodor's. To stay cheap usually means to stay out of the Eurozone or to the eastern portions at any rate. Go places where the dollar is stronger and like others have said, Germany can be done fairly cheaply (compared to Switzerland and Italy) as can Prague, Istanbul or various other places. Depends on what you are willing to do.

Do your homework and save up as much as you can.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thursdays,
Great Article! thanks for your vote too! That is truly the most difficult part I have yet to come across, basically just what to do.

Joe,
Thanks for your advice on the sight. I will probably re-post this over there as soon as I can. I want to do Eastern Europe at some point however, I don't think this will be the trip that, that happens. Italy is a must but I am considering boycotting Switzerland, from everyones advice on here says that it is a place to avoid if you are on a budget.

Thanks Guys!
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 11:25 AM

hitch-hiking I think is a thing of the past in Europe for the same reasons it is in the U.S. so I would strongly consider using the fantastic rail system and if you are under 26 you qualify for the bargain IMO Eurail Youthpass - either a Global Pass good in a zillion countries or the Eurail Select Youthpass good in 3, 4 or 5 countries of your chosing and thus much cheaper. Check out these fantastic IMO sites to help plan a European rail trip - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com. Passes cannot be used by Europeans so are not sold in Europe. You may also want to mix in some cheap flights so scour them at sources like www.whichbudget.com, which tells you which low-cost airlines link various plances. www.easyjet.com and www.ryanair.com are two that fly extensive routes and can be dirt cheap (but watch the add-on charges like for luggage and even reserved seating.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 11:35 AM
twk

If you really want to go from place to place on foot, there are areas where you can do that, but they are small areas. You aren't going to hike, or hitchhike, across any of theese countries and have a good time doing it.

While deciding what you are interested in is important, it sounds to me like you need to first decide exactly how much you can spend for transportation and lodging, and then go from there. Unless you are moving from place to place by walking (and people that take walking vacations usually do it because they love the scenery in a specific area), then every time you move from one place to another is going to cost you money (and time). A railpass might get you from place to place, but the passes are not cheap, and cost more the more days of travel you have on them, and the more countries that are included. A single country rail pass will likely be much cheaper, given an equal number of travel days, than a multi-country pass.

Zurich and Madrid are far enough Italy that any money you save by going through these airports is likely to be eaten up by travel costs getting to and from these locations, if you must go to Italy. Take a hard look at flight costs and recalculate based upon an open jaw itinerary that takes you where you actually want to go.

If Italy is an absoulte must, I wouldn't go any further north than Switzerland, or possibly Bavaria. Between that area and Italy (with southern France and Austria as other possible destinations as an alternative), you could cover a fair bit of ground, with very diverse terrain and culture, without breaking the bank.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 11:48 AM

I think you're already off on the wrong foot by assuming that Zurich or Madrid are your cheapest entry points. Considering that you can't get fares more than 330 days out,you can't really check what the fares at this point will be, but in checking the fares from LAX to Europe this summer, I found that Frankfurt (as I suspected) is considerably cheaper (hundreds of $$) to fly into from LAX than either Zurich or Madrid. I used FareCompare.com to check prices.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the flight links Palen, they look great and I will check them as soon as I get off work today.

TWK, thanks for your input, I have been worrying about the money costs quite a bit but thank you for the idea of not getting to far north and sticking to places I know I want to go. I have been consumed with the bug of going as many places I can instead of places I truly want to see.

Hazel,
I tried that as well but I have been using Kayak for the last 4 months or so looking at this trip and I like it because it estimates the prices and what they will be year round and helps predict what they will be and so forth. Obviously, this is just a prediction but that is where I have been getting my data from. Thank you for your tip on Frankfurt. I just tried it on Kayak and it came up with some promising results, not overwhelmingly cheaper but will help save some money rather than Zurich. You have to remember though, I am flying in one city and ultimately flying out of Rome, so it is more worrying about the flight there than the flight home.

thanks for your guys help

P.S. Everyone has had some really awesome sights!
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 01:28 PM

You might check fares to Budapest as well, which would get you closer to Croatia (and don't forget Slovenia).
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 03:33 PM

I did the same kind of trip a couple years ago and here are my tips/suggestions:

1. Look into the currency conversion between the swiss franc and the euro. We went from spending time in Italy and Austria to Switzerland and felt constrained by the increased amount of money we were spending. This may effect how long you stay there.

2. Consider over-night trains- they may be a little more $ but serve as a hotel/hostel and as transportation for longer routes. We took an over night train from Venice to Vienna and didn't have to waste a day traveling. There were 3 of us so we split a private cabin perfectly (I think there's room for 4).

3. Definitely make sure Cinque Terre (Italian coast northwest of Florence) is on your itinerary. I would suggest staying there in one of the towns for 2 nights so that you have a full day to hike between the towns and enjoy it. There's a local train that runs between each town (5 in a row) so if you follow the trail in one direction you can take the train back... or if you don't want to hike just hop on the train. We stayed in Montorosso Del Mar and I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

4. When it comes to watching what you spend with food, I'd recommend visiting local markets or grocery stores and buying stuff there to take with you, especially bottled water! We would buy a couple mini sandwiches and fruit to take on the go and it relieved us of $$ pressure when we wanted to enjoy local dining experiences and have nicer sit-down meals.

5. As far as hiking/the alps goes, depending on where you go, you can visit and experience the alps without going on rigorous hikes. I'm pretty sure you can take the funiculars up and then hike down in different places which is what I did. Some are ski resorts in the winter so maybe some of the ski lifts are still in operation for summertime visitors? (I'd say the hiking was equivalent to Runyon Canyon or even Fryman Canyon in LA) But this is just from my p.o.v. and I'm not a big hiker- I just wanted to let you know that there are ways to experience the beautiful alps in which you don't have to be an expert athlete. (unless you WANT to make it a hiking trip, that is...)

6. Check out Rick Steves- he had great money, time, and hassle saving advice... and tends to focus on more "off the beaten path" traveling which I, myself, appreciate but really depends on personal preference.

Have a great trip!

Oh yeah, and bring a journal to document your adventures and fun things that happen along the way- you'll want to revisit the memories later
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 06:09 PM

"especially bottled water" - there is absolutely NO reason to buy bottled water in western and central Europe. The tap water is perfectly safe to drink. Not only is it an unnecessary expense, but you are adding to proliferation of plastic waste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -