Europe trip

Jul 6th, 2019, 06:37 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3
Europe trip

Hi all itís my first time using a forum to ask about a trip Iím going to, firstly Iím from the Caribbean and going to Europe on a tour visiting countries all over and I would like to get some advice on what universal adapters/ converters to use while on my trip,some of the places I would be visiting is England,France,Italy,Rome,Switzerland,Germany and the Netherlands pls help Iíve been bombarded with options but with no luck

Last edited by musa92; Jul 6th, 2019 at 06:54 PM.
musa92 is offline  
Jul 6th, 2019, 07:07 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,280
In general, converters are not a great idea. You want dual-voltage things so all you need is a plug adapter. Most electronics are dual-voltage. While I'm not 100% sure, I think all those countries use the plug adapter with two round prongs.

On another note, hope you have MANY days for that many countries!
SusanP is offline  
Jul 7th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,893
UK has three prongs, two flat and one vertical. France, Germany and Netherlands have two round pins, and Italy and Switzerland (southern Europe, including Rome) also has two round pins but slimmer, and a raised profile on the plug. In my hairdryer kit bought in Europe I have an adaptor for all of those. Have a look at this website; Korjo is an Australian company so it makes plugs for the Australian market but it gives a picture of just about any plug it sells so you can see what you are aiming for. Plug in a name and you will see the corresponding plug:

Instead of buying many plugs, if you go to a luggage shop you may be able to buy a universal adaptor which works for all European destinations. I have one from the 1980s and will rue the day when it finally dies, but if you can find one they are great.

lavandula is online now  
Jul 7th, 2019, 03:16 PM
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,413
Are you going on a tour with a tour company or on your own?
Is your question about adapters your only concern?
Sassafrass is online now  
Jul 7th, 2019, 05:24 PM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 20,752
There is a universal adapter which will cover all of Europe and the U.S.
Michael is online now  
Jul 7th, 2019, 06:15 PM
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,549
Plug converters are also being converted. Official French plug now is two-pronged, but with a hole to accept a third tine sticking out from the wall socket (for grounding). British three-pronged plugs have a different shape and alignment of tine. In some countries such as Italy, older plugs will fit; sometimes not. And so on.
Lots of sites on the Internet provide picture guides. Better to find a comprehensive one for yourself. Meanwhile you can also check the fine, often dark, print on your gizmos to see which amperage is required. Roughly, it's 110 for North America, and 220-240 elsewhere. Can't comment on Caribbean requirements. Most, these days, can be switched or do it automatically.

A warning, though; North American hair blow-dryers are around 110 can be switched but at 220-40 will only run at low.

Another warning: Some cheap all-purpose plug converters, which unfold like a puzzle, use plastic tines for the ground. No protection there at all.

Last edited by Southam; Jul 7th, 2019 at 06:17 PM.
Southam is offline  
Jul 8th, 2019, 06:46 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
Are you going on a tour with a tour company or on your own?
Is your question about adapters your only concern?
yes I am going with a tour company donít really want to say who but yes my question is about the adapters because even though Iím on vacation would still like to have my devices to use
musa92 is offline  
Jul 8th, 2019, 06:54 AM
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,060
Take a universal plug adapter and a short power strip/extension lead so you can charge multiple things at once. That way you only plug the power strip into the adapter and can use your normal plugs in the power strip.
hetismij2 is offline  
Jul 8th, 2019, 07:02 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3
Thanks guys

Iíve been reading all your info and still getting mixed decisions. Yes Iím going on a tour ummmm as for buying a set in Europe it is an option but I like to be prepared before I go on a trip, In the Caribbean 110v are mainly used it is a step down from 220v, nothing like hair dryer would be used only devices like a camera (GoPro) and cellphones are the only tech now the question is should I buy a power converter (which comes with adapters)or a normal adapter set to work with my devices
musa92 is offline  
Jul 8th, 2019, 08:38 AM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 20,752
Here's the adapter I use, lacking the neutral for England, but then not having a neutral of the U.S. The rest of Europe may have the ground built into the female in the wall.

Michael is online now  
Jul 8th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,893
Should I buy in Europe? No, you may not find adapters that suit your home plugs. Buy a set at home.

Should I buy a converter? Not for tech equipment, computers generally have a built-in capacity to work no matter where you are. Hairdryers are the biggest problem, and some even have the ability to turn a switch to change the voltage. So if you don't have a hairdryer then don't bother. Many hotels provide a hairdryer nowadays anyway.

lavandula is online now  
Jul 8th, 2019, 04:25 PM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 24,987
No reason to take a hairdryer these days, especially if you're on a tour. The hotels will provide them.

All electronics should be dual voltage - read the label. If you are going to multiple countries a universal adapter is probably the best bet.

If that's a tour it sounds like you will be moving too fast.
thursdaysd is offline  
Jul 11th, 2019, 09:54 AM
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Depends on what you are interested. Are you more a big city lover or countryside?
PeachyEssay is offline  
Jul 11th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 680
Use the chargers that come with you phone, tablet, camera or whatever. Get plug adapters that you will need for each location. Many have recommended the universal type adapter, but check each one out carefully. Sometimes they are so bulky and heavy that they sag out of the power outlet and will not stay "plugged in".
jane1144 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:47 PM.