Using my hair straghtner in Europe

Old Mar 24th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using my hair straghtner in Europe

I have a flat iron that I use a lot and bought a ConairPro kit that has a plug adapter and voltage converter. It says it works in Europe and converts 220/240 V to 110/120 V. Has anyone used one of these? Do they really work or will it blow up? Thanks.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 12:46 PM
sandi

If they provided a converter, it sounds as if the unit is 110/120 (for North American use). For it to work in Europe, you'll have to plug it into the converter, then the converter using the adapter plug into the wall.

But where in Europe, as not all countries use the same adapter plug. Different in the UK then France, Italy and others.

Old Mar 24th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Here's a recent thread that may help answer some of your questions.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34959946
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 12:53 PM

I bought the converter and adaptor set at WalMart and it wouldn't work in London last year. The light came on but the iron never heated up. I didn't even bother taking it this trip. Just had really bad hair for half the week.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

This has 4 different adapter plugs plus the converter. We are going to Italy-I think that adapter is the one with the two round prongs? Correct? It says it works for appliances 50-1875 Watts. I bought it at a beauty supply store-It's made by Conair. Thanks.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 12:58 PM

I brought my straightner to London last summer (along with my adaptor) and I found that it actually overheated. I had to unplug it after a minute because it started to smell like it was burning. By the end of my trip, I just stopped using it because it was damaging my hair.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Unless the flat iron is designed for 220V use or you are using a convertor that is big enough to anchor the QE2 then I wouldn't put said flat iron within several feet of my hair.

Either find a multivoltage one in the US, buy a 220V when you get to Europe or find some other way to deal with your hair
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 01:14 PM
clz

It sounds like it should work.

I have a Conair straightener that I bought at Target or Walmart for probably $20 or so. I don't the exact model, but it says it's 120-240V and the package said that it works "worldwide". With a little set of adapters, I've used it in Italy, Spain, England, and the US.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
clz: It seems you are talking about a different flat iron. Yours is dual voltage. neglex' sppears to be single voltage w/ a separate converter. I am w/ alanRow - would let it w/i 5 feet of my head . . . .
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 03:13 PM
clz

Sorry, I was trying to suggest that it would be cheap and easy to buy one that definitely would work in Europe.

(Although I did think what she described would work. I can't remember having trouble when I've used a converter w/ other products.)
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 04:20 PM

My daughter uses a Chi in US life, but while at school in the Netherlands she bought a cheapie Conair with dual voltage. She says is doesn't get hot enough to straighten. She did buy a European cheapie blow dryer which works great.

It may also have to do with the "quality" (for lack of a better word) of the electricity you have. My daughter says her building needs renovations, so she may be at a disadvantage.

"They" recommend not using a converter with high heat appliances. I'd go without (you should she how beautiful my daughter's hair is now!) or buy when you get there.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Ditto to cantterbury....that is the kind of thing that is best to buy over there so you know it is made for their electricity.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 07:15 PM

I got tired of smelling burning hair appliances and hoping I wasn't going to blow the circuits out in wherever we stayed so I finally bought a hair dryer in Prague and use it when we travel. Every country has a "WalMart" type of store, you just need to find it. I bet they sell straighteners and even if it costs a little more in Euros, you'll save by not buying adapters and you won't have the stress of worrying if they will work.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 11:32 PM

Hello neglex, as others have said, just buy whatever appliance you want there in Europe. Ask your hotel or wherever you are staying where the nearest shop is. From someone who learned that is the best way.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 12:57 AM

I purchased a $25 transformer and that works just fine for my flat iron and handycam. Be sure to purchase plenty of fuses to switch out as mine generally blows out once or twice during the trip.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:43 AM

<<< Be sure to purchase plenty of fuses to switch out as mine generally blows out once or twice during the trip. >>>

Do you get a feeling that your $25 convertor isn't up to the job & it's merely the quality of European wiring that's keeping you alive?
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 05:36 AM

This doesn't answer your particular question, but I noticed when looking for a new Chi, that the websites all said "Warning: Only for use in US and Canada. Do not use with a converter."
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 05:59 AM
nma

I bought anb adapter and converter for my trip to Italy and then left it on the floor next to where I was packing when we left. I bought another adapter and converter in Rome when we got there and it worked great! Never and a problem!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 07:03 AM

I have a dual voltage Conair flat iron that works okay. I simply need the correct plug configuration for whichever country I'm in. I think I paid about $25 for it. However, since the Conair doesn't get that hot, for our last trip I decided to just go ahead and purchase a 220 volt two-pronged round plug so I wouldn't have to worry about it. I bought a Sedu from www.folica.com. It was relatively expensive and still isn't as good as my ghd brand that I use at home but it beats the Conair by a mile.

Personally, I wouldn't use a converter for a heating appliance. Too dangerous and too much potential for a problem. Dual voltage appliances are readily available if you don't want to purchase a 220 volt appliance.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 07:12 AM

I'm sure you can buy one cheaper when you get where you are going, but Folica sells this one.
http://tinyurl.com/29ygrd

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -