Search

Europe trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2016, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe trip

A Very Happy New Year to Everyone!

I'm traveling solo to Europe in First week of Feb. starting my journey from Amsterdam(3 Days) to Paris(2 Days) to Rome/Barcelona(2 Days). I'm confused between Rome and Barcelona. Given my itinerary, which you think is better option in terms of logistics, time period, things to do/see and otherwise or if you have any suggestion to add/remove the place. Please help me decide. Thank you.
Old Dec 31st, 2016, 10:18 PM

Amsterdam [2 full days] and Paris [3 full days]. You really don't have time for anything more.
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 01:39 AM

How much time do you have? Have you included travel time in you schedule? 2 nights only gives 1 full day in a location...1 night doesn't equal 2 days as you will have travel days on either side. Can you be clearer about your timeline? If you only have 7 days then definitely limit yourself 2 locations.

Also book your flights into one location and home from the last to save time and cost circling back. They are called open jaw or multi city flights, not one way each way.

Happy planning!
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 01:40 AM

Honestly, I would add those two days to Amsterdam and Paris. Otherwise you won't really see much of anything.
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 08:53 AM

There are plenty of flight from Paris to both Rome/Barcelona. They are equivalent in logistics or things to do/see. Except, of course, that where you'd go after that.

But I agree with other posters that 2 days is not enough and you should add these 2 days to Amsterdam and Paris.
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 10:09 AM

Everyone who responded saying this is very little time for a 3rd city is correct. That said, heck, I would do it! If your priority is to get a 'flavor' of 3 different places, and you're the sort of person who can hit the ground running, set a couple main priorities, and then move on, it could be fun.

Jamikins is absolutely right though: put the whole thing down on paper, make 7 boxes each representing a day, and fill up those boxes plotting out exactly how many hours you would have in each place, given travel times, and times getting to/from airports and in/out of hotels.
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 12:46 PM

Can't say yes or no to a third place (city) or which one because it is not clear exactly how much time you have. Even early arrival gives only part of a day. Travel between Amsterdam and Paris, then Paris and another city will each take 1/2 day, more or less, counting time from hotel to station or airport, then time getting from station to new hotel.

It will be cold and days will be short. At least for the Amsterdam to Paris leg, depending on what is available, I would have most of a day (using daylight for sightseeing and being outside) in Amsterdam and go for a very late afternoon or early evening train to Paris. If that did not work, then take the earliest train possible to Paris so you have a few hours in the afternoon for sightseeing.

Personally, rather than take a day for a flight to another city, I would add a day to Paris, visit one of the beautiful towns (Haarlem or Delft) near Amsterdam, or even stop overnight in Bruges (a bit out of the way, but very nice for one night). It always seems like a big waste of travel time and money to rush around seeing far apart places when there are things of equal beauty and historic and cultural importance that you miss right where you are already. Also, do not know if you have been to Europe before, where you have been or what your major interests are. All important for recommendations.

You won't know until you go and will enjoy either, but IMHO, 2 days would give you a good feeling for Barcelona and 2 days will be terribly short to see much or to experience much in Rome. Rome is so huge and takes time to savor. The best advice, IMHO, is go to Barcelona and save Rome for a trip to Italy. Still depends on actual time on the ground.
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 02:05 PM

I'm traveling solo to Europe in First week of Feb. starting my journey from Amsterdam(3 Days) to Paris(2 Days) to Rome/Barcelona(2 Days). I'm confused between Rome and Barcelona. Given my itinerary, which you think is better option>

I assume you are traveling other places after Rome/Barcelona?

important to know.

But Rome fits in rather nicely with Amsterdam and Paris if going to places besides Spain.

But if going to Spain more then Barcelona.

If that is the extent of your trip then I'd chose Rome in the bat of an eyelash-one of the few cities in Europe that everyone should see and most want to- along with Paris and London.

Barcelona is neat but Rome has more awesome things to see -Roman relics like Colosseum and Forum and the Vatican, etc. But with just one full day in either- taking travel to as a day it makes the experience too ephemeral.

Anyway trains are great for going Amsterdam to Paris to Italy (overnight train to Milan and Venice -connect with trains to Rome. For lots on European trains check www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com. And cheap flights make sense also Paris to Barcelona and Rome (unless into taking night train links).