Search

Europe this week- Basic Advice!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe this week- Basic Advice!

Well, the countdown is down to 5 days!
I'm going to Europe for the FIRST time this Friday!
I suppose I'm not asking for any particular tips, but just some basic advice as to what tips you would give first time European traveler!
I am in my early 20's (though I dont drink/party), and I am going with two sisters.
We are staying 3 days in Rome, 3 days in Paris & 3 days in Munich, and on a BUDGET! We each only have about $1,000 to cover food, transportation (just public transportation- flights between countries is already covered), and activites/spending money- I know, I know, its a lot less than advised, but its all I've got!
Thanks for all the tips!
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 05:18 PM

5 days away and you don't have any accommodations or anything planned?

What sort of tips are you looking for? We don't have a crystal ball that tells us why you are going to these places and what you hope to get out of them.

Tips I would give a first-time European traveler are to research, research, research well in advance, get a bunch of guidebooks, and figure out WHY you even chose to go to those places to begin with. Can't see planning a European adventure without SOME idea of why you thought it was a good idea to begin with.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 05:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Do you have sleeping reservations? On that budget you may have to stay in hostels.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Oh sorry I didnt say that! We've had the hotels booked for months! We have an idea of the sights we want to see- I chose these places because I've always wanted to go to Rome & France & my sister who just got back from Europe said to go to Munich as well... Like I said; theres nothing specific we're going for except that we all have always wanted to go to Europe & these are the three places we could all agree on!
So we have the flights from here to Munich & in between each country & hotels paid for- so we'll need to pay for public transportation, food & activities...
I've read the "Let's go!" books as well as other tour books, so I have done a bit of research, I was just wondering what you as veteran travelers I'm assuming, wish you had known the first time you went to Europe
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 05:39 PM

Exciting, we're going to Rome for the first time next week!
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Ah, maybe I'll see ya there!
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 07:51 PM

DOTK;

The best advice I can give you is to be open to local experiences and people. Talk to the locals and ask them about them. The sights are the sights, they take care of themselves. What may make your vacation special is having some interaction with the "locals".

Be humble, you are in their "home".

I always learn how to say "May I speak English, please?" in the local language and as much other basic language I can manage - certainly "please" "thank you" "That tasted very good", "You have been kind/nice", etc.. Al ways ask someone if you can speak with them in English, it is a simple courtesy for which I have often been thanked and, I am certain, one for which I have often received more assistance than I otherwise would have simply because I extended it. . Try and imagine how frustrating it would be if someone just walked up to you and started speaking Italian, presuming you could understand them. Of course, most people connected with the tourism industry and almost all younger Europeans can speak English but that is not really the point. It's not just an exchange of my , or your tourist dollars for a service that I can understand - something that should be "expected" of them. Europeans are richer for their multi-cultural experiences and multi-lingual abilities and I, for one, am always grateful that they make the effort to assist me in a way that makes me comfortable.

Of course, if you are fluent in French, Italian and German, you can probably ignore all this advice

As for me, I have to go brush up on some very rudimentary Dutch and Italian.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 07:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
In case I don't post again, Have a great time.
Daughter of the king
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 08:32 PM

Sometimes I feel like those on this forum are just old.
Click on the op's name and you can see the previous posts.
I happen to remember her distinctive "nom de plume" but come on guys, give her a break.
I wish this were more useful in the “first time” category but there are others here who are really great at this.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 08:39 PM

Just old? How about being experienced travelers with information to share?
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 11:02 PM

First time (especially young) travelers from the US are often far too trusting of mankind. Be cautious and watch out for one another. This doesn't mean that you're going to meet Jack The Ripper but there are lots of folks out there who would love to take your money whether it's the pickpockets, purse snatchers or scams. If someone wants to sell you a really good leather jacket for a seemingly unbelievable good price, just walk away. If someone wants to give you a gold ring that "you must have dropped," just walk away. Watch your handbags and how you carry them - preferably across your chest and not just off your shoulders. If you use a backpack, don't put anything of value in it. Don't drape your purse or backpack on the back of your chair at a restaurant, put it by or between your feet. Don't get totally immersed in a phone call to the point that you're not aware of your surroundings. Be street smart and aware of things around you and you'll be fine. Have a great time and let us know how you enjoyed it when you get back.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 01:53 AM

And if approached by young, poor looking young woman who hands you a note to read, don't!! It's another scam that abounds in Paris.

I agree that you need to be open to experiences, such as sitting in a cafe and indulging in a bit of people watching.

Please don't be offended by the following comment. Try to keep your voices down. Americans tend to speak loudly for some reason I don't understand and it can become very annoying. The rest of the people on the train/bus or in the queue outside the Louvre really couldn't care less what you've been doing or where you are going next.

In restaurants in Rome and Paris, the bill is usually not brought to you until you ask for it. It's different from the US where I understand the bill is brought virtually as soon as you finish eating. In France it is considered courteous to greet the shop staff when you enter and to bid them goodbye as you leave. Unlike here in Australia where the shopper usually wishes the staff would clear off and leave them in peace!!

Make sure you have a little phrase book with you so you can master some simple phrases.

I hope you have a lovely time and that this is the first of many trips.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 02:16 AM

All the above is good advice.
I remember two young American women in Chester.
They were neatly and sensibly dressed and were taking a photo.
People waited until they got their shot and received a beaming smile and a thank you. They got smiles in return.
That doesn't sound much, but those girls were good ambassadors.
Another shopping thing is to ask permission before touching the merchandise.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 02:19 AM

The business of not touching the merchandise is especially important in Italy. In many Italian supermarkets, there are plastic gloves provided to wear when choosing fruit or vegetables from a self-service display. You may be rebuked if you don't use them
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 06:11 AM

Lots of good advice given already, Daughter of the King.(love your screen name).

Paris and Rome are both very walkable cities, so you can save some money by walking to most places, depending where you are staying. Then you can spend it on gelato instead!
Make sure you bring very comfortable walking shoes as Rome in particular is hard on your feet, so are all the museums with marble floors.

Rome has public drinking fountains everywhere with good and safe water, we took those lightweight aluminum water bottles with us and refilled them to save on buying bottled water.
Another money saver: Don't drink Coke or other soft drinks, very expensive in Europe and there are no free re-fills like the U.S. I think it is probably cheaper to drink wine. Of course you can get water.

Most of all? Have fun!! You are young and in Europe, it doesn't get much better than that.

I hope you have a great time and come back here and tell us your story.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 07:15 AM

This thread has some suggestions for inexpensive places to eat in Rome (mixed in with general sightseeing ideas)
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ays-in-may.cfm

buying snacks and bottled water at supermarkets helps to save quite a lot of money.

The first time I went to Europe at age 21 I used Let's Go and found it quite helpful.

You are going to three wonderful cities and should have a great time.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 09:45 AM

In Paris, Monoprix grocery stores have excellent prepared food options as well as a great selection of cheeses, wines, breads that you can enjoy for a meal or two and save money.

In Italy, drink your coffee and enjoy your snack standing up (when in a cafe) as it is a lot cheaper.

Most churches do not charge admission fees so this is a great way to see wonderful art without breaking the budget.

Metro cards in Paris can be a worthwhile investment.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 09:50 AM

In Munich the Karlstadt Department store has an excellent food court, not at all like what we have here in the states but with fresha nd high quality food. Makes for a great lunch or dinner option.

There are lots of small restaurants in the side streets near the Viktualienmarkt where the food is good as well as reasonable.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Wow you are all amazing!! Thank you all for the wonderful advice & I will try my best to heed to it all!
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 05:07 PM

DaughteroftheKing,

Take moleskin and some very small scissors to cut it with. You WILL need it and WILL be very glad you have it! Take enough for all of you! Bandaids won't stick. they just roll up on a blister, nor will they pad the blister. Moleskin will.

Have fun, learn lots, use common sense.

You will probably learn that you will want to do your next trip differently. There are ways to get much more for your money and time.

Buon viaggio!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -