Europe River Cruise or Croatia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will admit right from the start that I have not done much homework on a trip I'm looking at planning in Sept, but was hoping you all may help me out anyway to jumpstart me idea-wise.

My husband and I will be in Italy meeting up with friends for a few days in late Sept. We have been to Italy twice before.

We wanted to go someplace we have not been (have been to France) for a few days (3-4).
We have been considering Croatia as we heard it was beautiful, but also thought of a 3-4 day river cruise elswhere....

We tend to enjoy "charming" places, beach/sea, good scenery, nice restaurants, relaxing atmosphere. Plus, I'm a bit of a hotel snob and tend to need to stay in luxury like hotels (I realize this may not be the case on a river cruise)- We are not very interested into going to museums.

If anyone has done either or both of the above, please let me know what you think.

I'm sorry I did not do more homework! Just looking for some ideas for right now. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

anyone?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:47 AM

If you went to Croatia, where in Italy would you be coming from? With only 3-4 days it may not be worth the trouble of getting there.

If you can get there, I would go to Dubrvonik and stay at the Grand Villa Argentina. It's a beautiful hotel with fabulous views of Old Town. It'a about a 5-10 minute walk to Old Town.

I've never done a river cruise.

While we absolutely loved our time in Croatia, if I were you, I would probably just stay in Italy for those extra 3-4 days. I know you have been to Italy twice, but perhaps there are areas that you have not been too? Amalfi Coast, the lakes, Umbria, etc. Honestly, I think Croatia deserves at least a week to make it worthwhile.

Good luck with your planning.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Hi- thanks so much for your feedback. I'm going to look into it some more and see what I come up with.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 02:29 PM

The only river cruises I know of in Italy are on the Po... and I think you could see the same sights just as well driving. Most other river cruises in France, etc. are 7 days. (If you like luxury...as far as it goes on a river boat... check out Peter Deilmann.) If you can stretch to 7 days we had a nice cruise on the Monet R/T Venice to Croatia (Dubrovnik, Split, Korcula, etc., etc.). We booked thru an agent called Elegant Cruises.... think they are located in Port Washington, NY.