Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Europe multi country vacation package tips

Aug 10th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone gone on this basic trip that goes under various names if so with what travel company \ organization and how did it work out.
I'm thinking of sending my 2 college daughters 19 and 22 alone as a present before they leave the nest..

Advertised trip:
Classic Europe (13 Hotel Nights) Multi-Country
Enjoy 3 nights in London, 3 nights in Paris, 2 nights in Venice, 2 nights in Florence and 2 nights in Rome

Thanks for the reports, tips, lessons learned.
Aug 10th, 2009, 05:42 PM

If you send them on one, pick one that is for young people or they will end up with a bunch of 60-70 year olds. There are a couple of companies that don't allow anyone over age 35.
Aug 10th, 2009, 05:44 PM

Sobolik, most tours of Europe attract older tourists (like myself). Therefore, I would not suggest them. A popular and reasonable tour company for those between 18-35 is Contiki - they have many European itineraries.

What nice parents to give your girls such a memorable gift!
Aug 10th, 2009, 06:58 PM

I also would try to check out the companies and figure the age range. I think of these packaged tours as more something older/retired people might take, who need the assistance, rather than young people on their own.

Contiki caters to younger but I've also often heard that it is more about "partying" than travel.
Aug 10th, 2009, 07:04 PM

I think they would have more fun on their own without a tour. Buy the plane ticket and give them some money (on an ATM card). They can stay in inexpensive hotels or hostels where they will meet other young people. Let them choose their cities and plan their itinerary so it will be their trip not something a tour company dictates.

It will also be less expensive for you.
Aug 10th, 2009, 07:16 PM

I personally also enjoy independent travel. But you really can't move around as fast as you can with an organized tour. If someone posted here that they were going to go on their own & do: 3 nights in London, 3 nights in Paris, 2 nights in Venice, 2 nights in Florence and 2 nights in Rome - we'd all say they were nuts.
Aug 10th, 2009, 07:23 PM

I have to agree with the independent tour idea. They'll learn how to figure out a train schedule, how to say beer in a couple of languages and have a blast.
Aug 10th, 2009, 07:43 PM

<< But you really can't move around as fast as you can with an organized tour. >>

We don't know that the daughters want to do so many places in so little time. This is the OP's itinerary.

Even on a tour this many stops with transportation time in between would be a blur.

Another reason for independent travel is that they will return from the trip with more knowledge than they had and more self confidence and maturity. I've taken tours and my most memorable trips (in terms of what I remember) have been with independent travel - those trips I've researched and planned have stayed with me longer.

They can always take some short walking or bike tours at their destinations to get some history and information from professional guides.
Aug 11th, 2009, 05:17 AM
ira

Hi Sob,

You are a good Parent.

However, that is another "If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium" tour.

Have the bags at the door by 07:00. Grab bkfst. Get on bus. Wave at a castle as you drive by.....

London and Paris make up a 2-week trip, as do Venice, Florence and Rome.

My suggestion is to ask your question at the Thorntree Forum of www.lonelyplanet.com. Lots of younger people there.

Then let them plan the trip themselves.

Aug 11th, 2009, 10:39 AM

My real question is do your daughters WANT to go as part of an organized tour (or is that your idea?) or would they rather plan the trip themselves? Do THEY want to go all those places so quickly?