Reload this Page >

Europe Minimum Drinking Age?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:33 PM
anyscreennamesleft

I am traveling with several cousins to France (Paris), Netherlands, Germany, Austria (Vienna), and Italy. My 17-year old sister will be traveling with us. We were hoping that she would be able to come with us if we decide to have a drink or enjoy some nightlife. From looking around on the Internet, it seems that a 16-year minimum is common for wine and beer in many countries. Does anyone know if this has changed recently? I saw a post on this website stating an 18-year old requirement throughout much of Europe. Is the raising of drinking ages throughout Europe possibly a new political development? We shouldn't have trouble in many cafes, bars, or pub-type places, especially if she doesn't order a drink. After all, I'm old enough to be her monther (barely). Clubs or discos may be another story, with bouncers or doorman?

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No worries. I'm not sure about the legal matters in all mentioned countries but I'm sure that 17-year olds, as long as they don't look like 14, will be served alcoholic drinks in all countries in cafes, pubs and bars without anyone asking a question. With clubs, the policy of the owner matters, not the law. In some cases, clubs don't want a teenage crowd and thus don't allow young looking people to enter. But it's more often a question of looks than ID card, especially if the group is of mixed ages (and there does exist sexism, females normally being more welcome than men).<BR><BR>There is no Europe-wide law in regard to egal age. The law in regard to Germany: there is no legal age for drinking alcohol that I'm aware of as long as the person is in the company of a guardian like the parents. At 16, you're allowed to enter pubs, clubs etc. on your own until midnight and buy beer and wine but no spirits. With 18, no limits. In practice, I have never been asked for an ID even with 15 and it's pretty similar in the other countries you mentioned.<BR><BR>Have fun.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:47 AM

In the UK it's 18, though as anywhere else it is one of the teenage rites of passage to try and get away with it. <BR><BR>There would be no problem about alcohol with a meal if there's a legal adult buying. You will probably be OK with an obvious adult buying for a respectable-looking group, if your sister looks grown-up for her age and no-one gets silly or obnoxiously drunk (keep the shouting, fighting and stripping to a minimum).<BR><BR>You may find that some pubs will make a point of claiming that they insist on ID, but those are likely to be the kind of pubs that have had problems with gangs of youngsters on the lash, which I assume you won't want to visit anyway.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:02 AM

UK : 18 years old for bars<BR>16 years old in restaurants when accompanied by an over 18 year old.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:55 AM

I have taken a couple 17 year old girls with me to a club in Paris with no problem whatsoever, but I was about 40 yrs old, not around that age myself. The official drinking age is 16-18 in European countries from what I've read. I used to have a list and ages and probably do around somewhere, but generally I think you won't have problems except as noted by Hans. There can be differences for beer vs spirits, also. When you say nightlife, I suspect you are getting more into clubs and that could be a problem if they just don't want you.<BR><BR>I think I did read about some country recently who raised it, although I can't recall which. I don't think this is a political issue at all, but usually comes from public health concerns.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:40 AM
anyscreennamesleft

Thanks for the comments. Dance clubs had entered my mind as a possible interesting experience for our group (all female, ages 36, 25, 22, and 17), but they do sound somewhat intimidating, notwithstanding the 17-year old in our group! But maybe me, the old lady in the group will be the problem. I looked at the bar and club listings in the &quot;Lets Go,&quot; guidebook, and some of the clubs do sound difficult to get into. The high cover charges, late hour that they get going, and the need to get up the next morning and start sightseeing again are definite downsides to dance clubs (can you tell I'm the oldest of the group?). Being from a rural area, where you don't have to get chosen to enter, is not a concept we are familiar with. We may try a dance club a few times during our 23 day trip, but a bar or pub on the lively side sounds like the best bet for us. I'm sure the girls would enjoy a dance club or two...we'll see, I'm sure we will have a great time. Thanks again.

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:54 PM

Are children allowed in pubs in England at mealtimes? They would not be drinking alcohol - just having a meal.<BR>