Europe Itinerary- flying out of London

Jul 16th, 2019, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Europe Itinerary- flying out of London

Hello!

I am asking for advice with our Europe itinerary. My husband and I have never been. We have around 10 days or can do up to two weeks total.

My husband and I are flying in a week before the rest of my family arrives (for the second week) and want to celebrate our 10 year anniversary somewhere beautiful, cultural, and relaxing in Europe. The first half of our trip will be in Paris/London (ending in London), and will be filled with sightseeing, so we want to have a romantic and relaxing first week.

We want an easy flight or plane ride from London or Paris to our destination, don't want to spend a lot of time traveling. Places we have looked into include Florence/Tuscany, Spain, Croatia, Portugal, south of France, Switzerland but I honestly just don't know if we can fit 5 nights in one of these places for the first week and the last week in Paris/London. I just don't want to be exhausted and want something easy. I am open to anything. I've thought about flying into Paris and then going to wine country or an easy 1-2 hour train ride somewhere, back to Paris and ending in London. But my husband wants amazing scenery, great food (and I would love culture too). Florence and Tuscany have always been a dream of ours- but feel this would be too much to fit in and we should do a separate Italy trip (but also don't know when we will have a chance to return).

Is it possible for us to fly into London, spend the night and a day there, then fly to a country that is two hours or less away and have five nights to have an anniversary trip there? Then back to London/Paris? If so, where would you suggest that is closest to London or Paris?

THANK YOU!!!!

Last edited by EmJohnBrown; Jul 16th, 2019 at 04:32 AM. Reason: misspelled
Jul 16th, 2019, 04:57 AM

" My husband and I are flying in a week before the rest of my family arrives (for the second week) and want to celebrate our 10 year anniversary somewhere beautiful, cultural, and relaxing in Europe. The first half of our trip will be in Paris/London (ending in London), and will be filled with sightseeing, so we want to have a romantic and relaxing first week. "

Flying in where, London or Paris?
Where is the family get together?
Jul 16th, 2019, 05:17 AM

Yes, of course you can do that, but it might make more sense to purchase open-jaw tickets.

"closest" is pretty relative these days, given that you can get anywhere in Europe easily and cheaply on low-cost airlines, so, for example, going to Tuscany would hardly be out of the question for 5 days.

It's YOUR anniversary, so I don't think any of us ought to be determining where you go. All your options look good to me.
Jul 16th, 2019, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Yes, thank you! I just wanted to see if it was too much to fit in. My husband and I are now thinking the first half of our trip we want to do Barcelona/beaches, Nice/beaches, or Florence/Tuscany (wine country). We want to be relaxing with a little sightseeing wherever we are for the first week. I guess would like pros/cons or which people love the most for an anniversary. I am sure they are all amazing!
Jul 16th, 2019, 07:44 AM

It seems you are using many proxies assuming they represent whatever you want to optimize.

>>> Is it possible for us to fly into London, spend the night and a day there, then fly to a country that is two hours or less away and have five nights to have an anniversary trip there? Then back to London/Paris? If so, where would you suggest that is closest to London or Paris?

>> I just don't want to be exhausted and want something easy.

You are assuming the distance and time to be proxies for exhaustion.

Also, if you are referring to the overall aspect, then you are looking only at a slice of your trip, namely what happens between after you land wherever and back to London, for whatever the reason. If you want to manage exhaustion for the entire trip, look at the entire trip, not just a slice of your trip. Flight time is not the entirety. Some connections are frequent and conveniently timed to reduce overall trip overhead. Destinations with less flight time but not well connected would end up eating up more of your overall time by needing to adjust before and after the flight segment. Don't use flight time as the only metric. Actually compute the overall impact.

When are you traveling? Are you assuming “beaches” to be proxies for relaxation? Rather than assuming, step through your itinerary to see if there are problem areas. Beaches have seasons. Also, if you are looking for white sand beaches, you will not find it in Nice.

What are your flight choices landing at different places from where you live? Don’t assume exhaustion by the distance or travel time for only a slice of your itinerary. Step through from the beginning of the trip when you take off and when you have to hop back into your return flight.

How are the layover considerations?
When are you arriving? How are you getting to the first accommodation?
How are you moving between places, etc?

Do you have to fly into London or Paris? For example in case of Florence, you can trivially cut off almost one day of travel time you so loath by flying into Rome, Milan, Venice, etc. (depending on from where you are flying into Europe) then train to Florence. If you think you want to fly into London/Paris because it is cheaper or for another reason, actually compute the overall cost of doing multi-city flight which would eliminate one trip out of London/Paris. Even if it still cost more than flying into London/Paris, remember that you are getting almost one more day for the trip and be able to expand your choices of “another” destination you so long.
Do you need to be in London at the end of you only part of the trip because it is where you are meeting your family?
Jul 16th, 2019, 09:17 AM

FWIW, I don't think of either Barcelona or Nice as "beach destinations." If I want a beach in Europe I go where there is good sand and few crowds, because that to me means "relaxing," not picking my way through hordes of people or scrambling over a rocky shoreline. So among your three options, I'd have to pick the Florence/Tuscany one (though it's hardly my favorite part of Italy).
Jul 16th, 2019, 06:13 PM

Italy will tick all the boxes - maybe somewhere in the north like Verona which will also give you easy access to the Lakes. Venice is a day trip by train from Verona. Easy flights from London or Paris.
Jul 17th, 2019, 10:16 PM

Fly directly into the city where you want to start your vacation. Then fly to the city where your family will be arriving (whether that's London or Paris). And regarding your family stay, you ought to start in London and fly home to Paris, don't go back to London.

If you want to drive around to wineries in Tuscany (or anywhere else), I would recommend you plan on hiring a car and driver. Reading road signs and following navigation in a foreign country is not particularly relaxing.
Jul 18th, 2019, 03:02 AM

I am assuming you are American, so Nice would likely not be your idea of a good beach town...the "beach" is made of stones.
ssander
Jul 18th, 2019, 03:22 AM

The beach at Sitges is 35 minutes away from Barcelona by rail.
Jul 19th, 2019, 12:53 AM

Are you willing to drive? If so, I'd recommend the Loire! Easy reach of Paris, you can either pick up a car there and drive over, or grab a train to Tours (less than 2hrs from memory) and pick up a car at the station so less city driving.

The Loire is a big area, but if you base somewhere such as Sancerre you can visit local villages (pouilly-sur-loire etc), the scenery is stunning, the villages beautiful and the food and wine is spectacular (Sancerre has a Michelin starred restaurant) You can be as relaxed as you like, or keep busy. Lots of old chateaux to visit etc.