Reload this Page >

europe in july - any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 08:14 AM
jill

Our family will be traveling to Paris in July. We have already made arrangements to stay for 5 days. We have decided to remain in Europe for an extra week and need help planning our itinerary. We will be traveling with two children, ages 13 and 10. Would love to see as much as possible via train. Any suggestions?

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 11:43 AM
Chrstina

I'd suggest something easy, like spending the extra week going from Paris through Belgium to Amsterdam and flying home from there, or simply spending the extra week going to England and seeing London with maybe a day trip or two from there and flying home from London. I think kids those ages would like London a lot. Maybe not Amsterdam as much, although the Dutch are very friendly and it's easy to get along there.

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 12:41 PM
michele

Agree with previous poster...keep it simple. How about the north of France? <BR>Normandy or Brittany are certainly COOLER than Paris in July, and there are plenty of sights, both cultural and natural.

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 12:56 PM
wes fowler

Jill, <BR>I'd suggest Belgium, particularly Brugges for a couple of days, Ghent and Brussels (the kids would be intrigued by the displays of seafood at the restaurants by Brussels'Grand 'Place and certainly by the Mannekin Pis). All three are easily accessible by train.

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 01:29 PM
anne

A couple of suggestions within France: The Loire valley chateaus, or even better with kids, the Dordogne area. Sarlat is a good base, accessible by train, and there are gorgeous chateaus and villages perched high on rocky plateaus over looking the beautiful river valley in that area as well. I think the kids would enjoy the river - lots of canoes, kayaks, and rides on the old-fashioned boats that used to haul cargo on the river. Great area for hiking and bike-riding too. <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 03:15 PM
Jay Frank

Brugge & Strasbourg - two of the most beautiful cities in Europe! <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 08:08 PM
Richard

i suggest amsterdam. its a very picturesque city and not expensive. you could also do some tours to gouda or edam! the dutch are very hospitble and speak excellent english. you will need this type of kindness when you leave france.....

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 11:47 AM
Kay Fulgham

<BR>Don't miss Bastille Day in Paris!