Europe in early September?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip from the US to Europe in early September. We are trying to plan it around a friends wedding which will be in London in late August 2010. As we know this is peak season in Europe, we need some help! We are planning to spend a few days in London and then travel somewhere else in Europe for two weeks.

There are so many destinations to choose from, we would love some ideas as we are pretty confused right now. We thought we had decided on Italy but now we are not sure. We would like to avoid anywhere thats going to be too crowded (although we are aware most places in Europe are likely to be at this time of year) but at the same time we would love to incorporate a variety of activities into our itinerary. We are in our early 30s and love art, history, culture, hiking, photography and of course food! We thought Italy would be ideal for our interests but we are worried about the tourist crowds at this time of year.

Our VERY rough itinerary would include visiting Rome and Venice and a drive along the Amalfi Coast.

Is early September going to be too crowded to appreciate Italy properly?

Any advice would be appreciated as would any alternative destinations that would meet our interests!

Thanks!
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Toskana is very beautiful place in Italy, especially Siena-near Firence
Trieste is the other beautiful town -near Venice
But I thing you can find cood food,old culture,very old history perfect place for photography BULGARIA!!!!
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM

The first two weeks of September seem to be high season over most of Europe so if you want to go to Italy-then go.You will be with alog of the empty nester/seniors crowd but September is really beautiful all over Europe.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would go to Italy, to the places that interest you. I've usually gone to Europe in the summer (4 out of 5 trips), because that's when I can get away. Sure at certain major monuments, cathedrals, museums, whatever you might find a tourist crowd, but it's not like that spoils an entire country!
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 06:14 PM

Try Bologna, a foodie town if ther ever was one!! There are some long walks you can take there, too. See this thread on Slow Travel: http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a...85/m/407100366 Bologna is not so congested a tourist destination as the "main" cities in Italy. You could get an apartment for 3 - 7 days. I think you can fly into Bologna from London, but not sure.

And if you decided to go see Florence for a day, it's only 45 mins by train. Also, it's a short train trip to Venice. Bologna is a major rail center in Northern Italy, so it's easy to get to places from there.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

thanks all for your comments and insights. We still would love to go to italy but maybe some other time. We are thinking of bulgaria and maybe romania or turkey? but definately bulgaria. We have 10 to 14 days so dunno if there is enough to hold our attention or do we need 2 countries?
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 07:20 AM

<<We have 10 to 14 days so dunno if there is enough to hold our attention or do we need 2 countries?>.

There would enough in any of the countries you mention to hold your attention for 10-14 days.

I loved Italy, spent three weeks there and barely scratched the surface. I havent' been to Romania or Bulgaria but loved my three weeks in Turkey and plan to return -- it's a beautiful country and I saw only a fraction of it.

If you're interested in Italy I would go and not worry about the crowds.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 07:49 AM

Prague, Vienna and Budapest would be a nice trio to visit. Easy to get to each city by train.

You can do day trips out of these cities also.

Not sure I would want to be in Romania and Bulgaria for 2 weeks - guess it depends upon what you want to see or do.

I have a dear friend in Sofia, Bulgaria who has a small travel agency. She would be a lot of fun to see Bulgaria with as a private guide.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 08:03 AM

Wow Bulgaria instead of Italy?
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 08:39 AM

Bulgaria instead of all of the other places you mentioned...inquiring minds would like to know?
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Okay so we changed our minds late last night after reading a little about Bulgaria. This morning we read a little more and are wondering what we were thinking (just like the rest of you it seems!). Bulgaria sounds interesting but doesn't seem to offer nearly as much as Italy for the trip we have in mind.

Italy still seems to be our number one destination choice for this trip, Suze, you are right, the crowds cannot spoil an entire country.

We do have one other option that we have been considering, One week in Ireland and a week in Iceland. Anyone have any insights on this alternative. Otherwise Italy seems to be it!
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 09:16 AM

My Italy experience consists entirely of 2 trips to Venice. As it happened both time I was there in August (which everyone moans & groans about). Yes it was hot & you definitely want a hotel room with AC, but they were both times FABULOUS trips.

Nothing wrong with Ireland, Iceland, or Bulgaria... nothing wrong with pretty much any European destination. But they aren't Italy.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 09:41 AM

Bella Italy of course!
But you can spend a very pleasent time in BG! Only 1 day driving from Venice!Sofia, Plovdiv, Veliko Tarnovo,Gabrovo, Nesebar, Sozopol Kazanlak, the Valley of Tracian Kings, Zlatograd...Good food ,good hotels, not very expensive.The problem are bad roads, lack of motorways