Europe for Christmas Markets in 2024

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2024, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to plan a 25th anniversary surprise for my wife. She loves the European Christmas markets we see on the internet in a European cities. So I plan on flying into Paris from JFK in early December and spending some time in the following cities:

Two nights in Paris
Two nights in Colmar/Strasbourg France area
Two nights in Trier, Germany
One night in Luxembourg
One night in Maastricht, Netherlands (seeing Andre Rieu's Christmas show)
One night in Paris
Fly home

I plan on taking a high speed train from Paris to Colmar but wondering if I should rent a car from there. Would driving in that area (Colmar to Maastricht) be tough in the winter? I live in Ithaca, NY so driving in winter weather isn't a big deal, I just want to make sure it is doable or should I just plan on taking the train to every destination?

Anyone been to any of these cities in late Autumn early December?

Last edited by RagnarLb; Jan 20th, 2024 at 03:01 PM.
Old Jan 20th, 2024, 08:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I hope you plan to do more than just see the Christmas markets, because it can feel the same as seeing too many cathedrals or too many châteaux.
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kerouac
I hope you plan to do more than just see the Christmas markets, because it can feel the same as seeing too many cathedrals or too many châteaux.
That's why I'm asking. We plan on mapping out the cities first with cool Christmas markets then building off of that on things to see. Like I said at the end we are going to see Andre Rieu's Christmas show in Maastricht before heading home.

I'm leaning towards renting a car after we get to Colmar and driving around to smaller villages and towns as well but any input from people that have been there, especially in December would be helpful.
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 03:03 PM

I love the thought behind the trip.Lovely.

I would suggest using googlemaps and your plans might become clearer. Paris to Colmar area is about 6 hours by car, 2 1/2 by train. Colmar to Trier is a tad off north of. Colmar and takes almost 8 1/2 hours by car, then Lux.

I spent the month of November in Paris (one day is not sufficient for my birthday, so I take a month in europe). I was there when quite a few Xmas Markets began as I LOVE them as well. One was delightful, two I enjoyed, 3 yeah I saw those same things at 1 and 2. 4th one I zipped though. Although there should be differences between French and German ones. Enjoy.
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 03:14 PM

Oh fun, a concert - I have seen André Rieu's concerts in Maastricht several times on TV. I like all the destinations of your trip a lot - don't forget to build in travel days between destinations. Also you won't have much time in Paris at the beginning as you will lose a day with jetlag, so bear that in mind - perhaps an extra day there. Perhaps it depends on whether you know Paris already - if you have altready been that extra day isn't as crucial. I am not a huge fan of one-nighters (too much unpacking) but Luxembourg and Maastricht are small and so you probably don't need more than a day there. You could think about doing Luxembourg as a day trip from Trier as an option. Good that you have worked at least one German city into your timetable, Germany really does have good markets. The markets in Maastricht don't really shine, but you obviously have other attractions there - plus it's a really pretty city in winter. There is a bookshop built in a cathedral there, really unusual. Did you know that Luxembourg has free public transport ?

Lavandula
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 07:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You could take the TGV from Paris to Colmar and pick up a rental car there. Companies like Europcar do not charge a drop off fee for returning the car to Paris. On the way from Maastrict to France, you could visit some of the WW1 cemeteries in Belgium (notably around Ypres) and northern France. I find them even more atmospheric when they are cold.