Reload this Page >

Europe during the peak summer months

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Sally

My husband and I are planning our honeymoon to Western Europe this year. How much more expensive is it to travel during the summer months than after September?

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Jim Rosenberg

It can be quite a bit more costly for airfare. Hotels charge a bit of a premium, but availability of the places you might want to stay may also become an issue. September usually relieves some of the price pressure, but airfares don't really begin to bottom out until well into November, from what I've seen.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 02:36 PM
janis

A lot depends on what you mean by "summer". Most Americans assume high season equates to the time US schools are out -- basically from June 1 to Labor Day. But most European schools don't let out til early/mid July. Depending on the specific country, high season may only be from the middle of July to the middle of September.<BR><BR>So - unless you mean August - there are a lot of bargains in many parts of Europe during summer.<BR><BR>It is usually best to avoid August if possible - both because of the too high airfares, and the much worse crowds.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Rex

If you're talking about 2003, then the first two weeks of June might easily be as cheap or even cheaper than the first two weeks of September. But with only 6 weeks til June 2002, I think that the second half of September will probably be more affordable. Is your wedding date not already set? Or is your honeymooon not strictly tied to the wedding date?<BR><BR>Congratulations on your new life in marriage.<BR><BR>and...<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 07:03 PM
ttt

ttt<BR>

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 10:03 PM
Sally

Thanks Rex...you're very kind.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Tom @ Scala Reale

I really don't understand the standard equation of summer and crowds. Rome in the summer is relatively quiet, many local folk having left the city for the shore. Statistically, many more tourists visit the city in October or May, thinking they are avoiding the summer crowds!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 04:14 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>just a thought !<BR>Have you considered Scandinavia ?<BR><BR>- LOWER hotel prices in summer<BR>- Not too hot<BR>- More affordable due to currency movements<BR><BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 04:27 AM
keith

It really depends where you're going. For example, Paris can be less busy in August when the locals all decamp to the South of France - consequently that is the busy time there. On the other hand, Edinburgh is at its busiest because of the festival and unless you already have a booking it could be worth avoiding. Other places, like London, are just busy all the time.<BR><BR>In terms of expense, it is often more expensive to travel in Europe in August / September rather than June/July, because of the school holidays (whether this would apply for people coming from the US I don't know.)