Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

EuroCamp--France, Has anyone ever tried it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2006, 06:46 AM
wic
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way I can convince my husband to go to France next July (after going to Italy this May), is to plan for cheap lodging (100 Euros or less a night). His uncle suggested EuroCamp. This may not be the right forum for finding people that have experienced a EuroCamp destination, but I thought I would give it a try. Has anyone stayed at a EuroCamp destination anywhere in Europe, especially France? If not, do you have any other suggestions for cheap lodging in France (Paris, Burgundy, Provence and the French Riveria)? Thanks!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 06:56 AM

www.accorhotels.com and search for their ETAP and Formule 1 hotels - rooms as low as 30 euros/night per room for three people. Great for motorists as in remote locations from town centres - but all over France and Europe.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Wic, what is Euro Camp?

Nina
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:13 AM
wic
Original Poster

I haven't really narrowed it down to a particular EuroCamp as I am still trying to decide if I can get used to the concept and determine if others have experience with any EuroCamp. I have camped (EuroCamp can't exactly be compared to 'real' camping) before, in Colorado and Canada, but never imagined doing it in Europe, so I am intially interested in good/bad experiences overall with any EuroCamp. I was hoping to visit Burgundy, possibly the Alps region, Provence and the Riveria.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:50 AM

http://www.eurocamp.com/

"...Eurocamp is the market-leader in self catering holidays to Europe, catering for families and couples on 182 superbly equipped holiday parcs in France, Italy, Spain, Germany Holland, Austria, Switzerland, Corsica, Belgium and Luxembourg..."

One example near Paris is in a town called Maison Lafitte - it's a park with mobile homes and tents.

However, please be advised that one can book a double room in Paris for under 100€, and very easily in smaller towns in France. The catch is - you might wish to have a/c and you won't easily find that for a budget price.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Aaah EuroCamp, that brings back memories. My info might be a bit out-of-date, but when I was a teenager my family always holidayed in Brittany with Eurocamp. Very precious memories of endless golden summers, so it can't have been bad!

I seem to remember you could opt for the big standing-caravan type things or huge tents with multiple bedrooms and all mod cons (fridges, cooking facilities etc). The best thing was French campsites. Back home in England, campsites were rarely more than a field with a shower block, whereas the French love their camping and really go to town – bars, restaurants, swimming pools, and individual plots for each tent/caravan surrounded by high bushes, with a BBQ and garden seating. Admittedly we always stayed in 4 star campsites, but I thought they were very good.

I think camping across Europe sounds like a great adventure - and certainly nicer than staying in a cheap nasty hotel.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Yes, I've done this sort of thing a couple of times, but a few years ago now, once in Brittany and once in Normandy. I've also been to several campsites in the UK and stayed in caravans/mobile homes. (One of the companies, Haven, also operate in Europe.)

Do you want to stay in caravans (much more comfortable and convenient IMHO) or in a tent? the big tents and fairly luxurious with separate bedroom with beds and cooking facilities, but no bathroom facilities.

I found this sort of holiday excellent with younger children, but we have met so many people through it, from all over Europe, young couples, older couples, families. It is a very good option and pretty cheap too. You don't have to stay at the same place for a whole week, you can do short stays, or even 1 or 2 nights at some places.

I have not actually used Eurocamp (Keycamp is another large company); we used a small company (Matthews) but all the big operators had caravans and tents on the site. We were quite impressed with some of these large caravans which seemed to have every mod con possible. Mind you, we went for Matthews because they were considerably cheaper than Eurocamp back then, 10 years or so ago.

There were 6 of us, and we had a caravan that slept up to 8 so there was plenty of space and our own shower and toilet. If you 'tent' it you have to uses communal facilities...

The second time I went to France I rented a log cabin on the shores of a lake through a company called French Country Cabins. This slept 6 and was great, though but not much bigger than the large caravan/mobile home.

The general facilites on these sites are great, large swimming pool complex, shop, laundrette, bar, bicycle hire, horseriding, fishing, and lots of activities and kids clubs.

www.eurocamp.co.uk

www.matthewsfrance.co.uk

www.campingfrance.com

http://www.siblu.com/haveneurope/index.php

www.frenchcountrycabins.com

Good luck and have a great trip, and if you want to know any more I'll try to help.

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 03:00 PM

do this all the time, excellent hols!great 4 kids, just back fron the alps & corsica. try www.canvas.co.uk, they are good, as are eurocamp & keycamp
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Bookmarking. You never know.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 04:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Never heard of EuroCamp but there are all kinds of hotels for under 100 euro (well at least in Paris there are, and the countryside, don't know about the Riviera!!).
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 07:22 PM
BKP

Bookmarking -- what a fun idea!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 09:23 PM

Wow. Looks like fun.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:29 PM

I agree, the French sure know how to camp! A couple years ago, the first summer my french boyfriend and I (american but we live in France) were together, my bf suggested we go "camping". I was sure this was the beginning of the end for us. I am not at all the camping type, have never slept in a tent in my life, where would I plug in the hair dryer ???

He assured me I would like this kind of camp, and I wouldn't even have to stay in a tent. I would have a little chalet, our own shower and yes plugs for my hairdryer. We would have tennis courts, swimming pools and be right by the beach. Even the dog could come.

So I decided to give it a go, and we had a great time. We have gone 3 summers in a row now. Actually we go at the end of May or beginning of June, before the school holidays thus avoiding the crowds. We go for about 5 days to the Atlantic coast, about an hour and a half south of Bordeaux and it is always a great escape for us from the hustle and bustle of Paris. And it's cheap, 35E for my chalet (this time of year).

I have some photos of our trip last yeat if anyone is interested :

http://www.kodakgallery.com/kellyee21/main/camping_2005

My american friends just laugh and say it isn't camping, but it is camping, French, 4* camping!
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 04:03 AM

If you want to have an experience you will never forget check out www.riviera-villages.com ! Situated in Port Grimaud, Golfe de St Tropez, it has everything, and great for all ages!!
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 05:44 AM

I love it-sounds like fun!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:18 PM

i hope you found something great! I wasn't trying to plug anyone(re prev post!), all i was doing was trying to impart a little bit of knowledge to help others!! The 1st time we took a hol abroad as a family was when our kid woz 5, we went to France with Keyacamp. We few easyjet 2 Barcelona then got the train to Perpignan and taxi to campsite!we got about on public transport 4 a week! loved it!!! ever since we have done a combo of campsites/public transport'/hire a car but it has always been sooo.... cool, especiallyu Corsica!!!! Also Argeles, i feel so at home there!11
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:22 PM

all of France is gr8 i have been to lotsa campsites & will o 2 more this year!! i am real lucky. i get all summer off.......
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:46 PM

ttt