EURO vs Dollar - anyone else concerned?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am from the U.S. and we are going to Greece in September - and I'm starting to get concerned about the exchange rate. Especially since we still have to pay the balance of our trip off and it will be in Euros, since our travel agent is out of Athens. I think we're going to pay it now, rather than later, since it doesn't look like the dollar is going to get any stronger anytime soon. Looks like we'll need more spending money than expected too....Anyone else concerned?
Old May 28th, 2003, 08:25 AM
ira

Hi

There is no way to predict the exchange rate come Sept.

Why not pay the trip off monthly? If the Euro goes down you're ahead. If it continues to go up you can decide later how much to pay.
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:06 AM

Welcome to my Canadian world!
Old May 30th, 2003, 01:36 PM

Greece can be quite cheap once you get there. I realize you've probably already booked all flights and most rooms but if not you should be able to find some good deals once you get there. Food is quite cheap so you shouldn't have to spend a lot each day once you're there.
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:31 PM

I can relate you your concerns... I'm Canadian. You can drive yourself crazy worrying about the exchange rate. I've learned that once I've actually made plans to take a trip, it's best not think about it... just do it and enjoy! Even going to the States, we take a beating...but we love to go anyway....
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:39 PM

I have the same concern since I've booked a trip to Barcelona for next month. Last time we went to Spain the EU was around .90. I'm hoping it will come down a little before we get there. If not, oh well, we're still going! Good luck and have fun.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 09:07 AM

The Euro had its strongest showing against the Dollar the day before I left for Greece (how's that for timing). Even so there are still plenty bargains to be had. When I shopped at the outdoor markets, I was always able to haggle down the price of items. Also, unless you plan on having all your meals at a five-star hotel eating in Greece is incredibly cheap. There are tons of tavernas where you can have a full course meal from starter to dessert for 20 Euros or less (the most I remember paying for a meal in Greece was about 16 Euros). Many Greek hotels include free breakfast with the rates they quote you, so ask your travel agent about that as well.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 11:52 AM

We returned from Ireland on May 26. Today was the first day I had the opportunity to sit down at the computer to compare the receipts from our trip to the charges (we used our debit card a lot).
Almost every charge that came through on our account it about 20% higher than the actual purchase price on the receipts.
I knew that when we were buying, but to see every one that much higher gave me pause.
It was so much nicer when it was the other way around last year in Italy.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 10:44 PM

Yes. Moderately priced hotels seem far more expensive nowadays due to the rising euro.