Euro traveler's checks to euros in US

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We picked up some traveler's checks in Euros (for 250 euros)that we thought we would use for a deposit but then were able to arrange it with a credit card.

Now I want to cash the checks out for euros here in the states before we leave for France next week. But AAA, where we got them, said they could only give us dollars. We could then buy one of their euro "starter packs." These, the woman told me, cost $100 and included she thought about 65 euros! No way I am going to do that.

And if I just cash them into dollars I lose because the euro has dropped in value since I bought the checks.

Next, a visit to my bank, a large bank in a large state. Much headscratching. Speak to the branch manager, who has to telephone the bank's currency center. They say they can't do it; their best offer is to deposit it in my account, after which it will clear (in dollars) in 30 to 40 days. This is lunacy.

So I ask whether anyone has a good idea of how I could cash out the checks for euros before arriving in France. I know that they are a pain there. If I remember from when I did this using traveler's checks in francs, the only place where I cash them out without a substantial charge was at the Post Office. And when I tried using them at hotels, you would have thought that I was trying to pay them with sea shells or something.

Any creative ideas would be appreciated. I just thought I could take advantage of having the 250 in euros to skip a trip to the ATM when we touched down.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:56 AM

Do you have to have them before you leave? If they are American Express TC, they cash them with no charge at their tour offices. Some hotels are still willing to cash euro TC for no charge for their guests (call and ask ahead of time).
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:58 AM

No one in the US is going to do a euro/euro transaction for you. Just wait til you get to europe and cash them there. (Yes I know it's a pain - but at least possible - here - nobody wants them at all.)
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:00 AM

You will be able to cash them at the exchange booth in the airport when you arrive in France. At this point, accept the fact that you've lost a few dollars and go for the most convenient choice, and most important, enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:03 AM

I agree to wait until Europe and preferably go to American Express or Thomas Cook (are they one of those?) where they will cash them for no fee at full cash value.

Or use your ATM card on arrival to get some cash and then spend those TC's by paying on a hotel where you will again get full value -- no loss. I dont' know of any hotel that won't take TC's in person for full value when they are in Euros. (at least I don't think I'm wrong there).
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:05 AM

There is a bank and numerous American Express offices at CDG-1 and CDG-2:

CDG-1
Union de Banques a Paris
- Niveau-1 in the Boutiques area (closed Sunday)
American Express
- in Arrivals area, customs area, across from baggage #6, 16, 30
- in the public area across from Porte/ Exit 16

CDG-2
Union de Banques a Paris
- Boutiques zone, near Halls D/F
American Express
- about a dozen locations
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Oddly, AAA does not issue the traveler's checks through AE but rather through Visa. We are connecting through to Nice, but I'll check our schedule to see if we have time in CDG.

This was not a big deal, just thought we could have the euros in hand when we arrived. We arrive Nice mid-afternoon and pick up a car and have to drive some, so I thought I could eliminate one chore.

I haven't tried in a while, but the last time I tried using traveler's checks at a hotel (we tend to stay at small ones in small towns), I got a lot of resistance, likewise with the owner of a gite. I don't know whether it's inconvenient for them or just something they are not familiar with. That's why we stopped getting traveler's checks and just stuck to ATMs.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 11:25 AM

They don;t want taveler's checks because they are a pain in the butt to a hotel - just like to a consumer. Banks charge a fee to cash them, sometimes banks will do it only for their own customers - and there is always the chance they are fake - or have been claimed against.