Euro coins

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Lynlor

Euro coins

Husband and I just returned from Salzburg, Austria and started collecting Euro coins. The Austrian one Euro coin has Mozart on one side, but the two Euro coin has a woman on one side that has been identified as Bertha V. Suttner. Does anyone know anything about Bertha V. Suttner particulrly in relation to Austrian history?

No one in Austria that we asked could answer this question ( tourist office, front desk of our Hotel, shopkeepers etc.) they all thought that the 2 Euro coin depicted Elizabeth (Cissy), Franz Joseph's wife. Again, does any history "buff" know the answer about Bertha V. Suttner on the 2 Euro Austrian coin? Thanks.

Lynlor

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Anyone

Anyone????

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Louis

Austrian pacifist, winner of the 1905 Nobel Peace prize.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Lynlor

Thanks Louis! You know more than many Austrians do.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Tracy

Forget Bertha, the stylized Queen Beatrix on the Netherlands' euros wins my vote for best design . . .

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 04:17 PM
lynlor

Tracy: I haven't seen any Euros from the Netherlands. I have Euros from six countries: Austria, Belgium, FRance, Germany, Italy and Spain. I have to go back to Europe to collect the rest of them. Does anyone have all of them?

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:16 PM
clairobscur

Though living in Europe, I still didn't see any euro coin from Greece and Finland, and only recently an Austrian coin.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:41 PM
mmmm

a friend in Ireland said that on one coin showing a map - only Norway and Sweden are depicted. I do not know if Finland is part of the euro crowd but my friend was more interested in pointed out the male anatomy image on the coin with just Norway and Sweden.

I have to get my hands on some Euros!!!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Michael

I thought that only Finland of the Scandinavian countries participated in the euro. The Norwegian and Swedish euro must be non-existent.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:34 PM
clairobscur

All EU countries are depicted on the Euros, regardless whether or not they participate in the Euro (The UK is depicted too for instance).

It's Norway which is missing, and the "male anatomy" is Sweden+Finland.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 11:55 PM
Myriam

I am trying to collect foreign coins since the very first day (Jan. 1) and after 8 months my collection is far from complete! I know I could buy coins but the fun just is to accidently find one in the change at the supermarket.
I personally thought that the various coins would have spread over Europe much faster.
To speed up things I now exchange Belgian coins for foreign if someone might be interested.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 12:31 AM
jenviolin

I, too, am collecting Euro coins and have about 4/5 of them. Anybody want to exchange Finnish or Portugese for Dutch? I just completed my Luxemburg collection last week driving home to Holland from France, and you could tell that the Luxembourgoise merchants are sick and tired of being asked for coins!!
Does anybody have any of the rare Vatican Euros? I've heard you can only buy them (for much more than their face value). I'm not going to collect them, but I'd love to know how you got them!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:50 AM
elina

Clairobscur said it: the "male anatomy" is Sweden+Finland (somebody "clever" said that Sweden is a d***k and Finland has balls). Norway is missing because it is not in EU, and Sweden is there because it is in EU, although it does not use euro (yet). I think it is stupid to leave a country away from a map, whatever the reason.

That map is behind all cent coins. On 1 and 2 euro coins every country has it´s own pictures.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:52 AM
elina

One * too much.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 03:39 AM
Sjoerd

Myriam, strange that you don't have many "foreign" euro coins in Belgium. I just checked my coins, and after a night out here in Amsterdam last night I have a Greek 2 €, an Italian, a Spanish and a German 1 € and Belgian, German and French smaller coins. Perhaps it makes a difference when you live in a major tourist city! By the way, half of Europe seems to be collecting the coins, so the strange ones quickly disappear from circulation.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:05 AM
Myriam

Sjoerd, I think you're quite correct re the major tourist city. I live in a small village and all I get is Dutch and Belgian coins.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:46 AM
clairobscur

Concerning collecting coins and the Vatican :

I assume there are Monaco coins too, since there was Monaco francs, with the head of the Prince on them. I suppose they're minting their own euros too.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:49 AM
Jimbo

Surely.

Check this..

http://www.chez.com/verplanken/numis...o/euro_mc.html

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:14 AM
Josie

I was told that the government in Monaco bought up all their euro coins. Is this true? Has anyone seen any of them?