Eurail pass or single tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2017, 02:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eurail pass or single tickets?

Hey all, wondering if i should get a eurail pass or individual tickets

My itinerary is as follows:

London-Paris-Lucerne-Murren-Prague-Florence(driving around Tuscany)- Positano (possibly driving from Naples to Positano)-Rome

Would appreciate any suggestions ��
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 03:07 AM

My suggestion is to Do It Yourself. Look up the prices of point-to-point tickets, then compare to whatever passes you are considering. Basic tool: www.seat61.com
Passes don't cover as much as they might have in times gone by. High-speed trains often require seat reservations that passholders must purchase separately (the reservations are included in point-to-point purchases.) RailEurope is not as useful as going directly to the train companies, and Seat61 will help with that.
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 05:18 AM

To be honest, I think you may need to re-plan your trip as some of your itinerary is not at all amenable to rail travel. now if you have unlimited time and don't mind spending 12-18 hours on a train for one of those legs, okay, but I wonder if you are aware of how long and how many connections it will take you for some of those trips?

In particular, Murren-Prague. If you are dead set on this itinerary, I would fly from Prague to wherever is possible in Italy on a budget airline, I know Easyjet flies from PRG to either Venice or Milan (and maybe Rome), but not Florence. I don't think there are nonstop flights PRG-Florence on any airline.

I would simply drop Prague from this trip, it doesn't fit in at all. In fact, although a very long trip, that train ride isn't potentially as bad as from Switzerland to Prague, which you can do it with one transfer in Vienna if you are willing to do an overnight train from Vienna to Florence. If you don't want an overnight train, you are talking multiple transfers and maybe 14 hrs.

You can get by train from Lauterbrautten to Florence with only 3 transfers and within about 8 hrs, transfer at Interlaken then Spiez then Milan. I think that's the shortest route. If you dropped Prague, you could do that.

Train to Prague will take you about 18 hrs, about the same itinerary but go from Interlaken to Basel and then do an overnight to Prague. So maybe 3 transfers. But you could just take the train to Basel and fly Easyjet to Prague, instead of that long overnight train.

If you are determined to do this itinerary, and by train, I wouldn't know if a railpass would be best or not. I suspect not due to all the add-ons you'll need, such as for a sleeper car or whatever. But some of that depends on your time frame, also, so maybe someone could assess the tickets vs pass better if you said how long you planned for this trip and what you plan to do about the overnight trains--avoid them or take them, and if you take them, do you want a private sleeper car? I think there is a website where you can put in your route and it helps you figure it out.

I presume you know how difficult it is to get to Murren?
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 07:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I dont think London to Paris is included in a pass so that would be a separate purchase.

If you havent booked hotels yet you might look at more efficient routing.

Perhaps fly a budget airline from Paris to Prague. Look at skyscanner and which budget for air tickets.

If you intend to have a car in Italy you need to drop it before Rome. You arent allowed to drive in Florence or Rome, How many weeks do you have? You might look at flying Prague to Naples or Prague to Pisa, Florence or Bologna to pick up a car.
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 07:01 AM

I don't think a Eurailpass would be cost-effective for you-not enough trips but a Swiss Pass could well be for Switzerland if there very long.

How long do you have?

I would drop Prague as it is a big outlier to the rest of your trip. For lots of good info on trains check www.seat61.com (great info on discounted tickets that would make your trip cheaper than any Eurailpass it seems); www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

Guys. Thank you all so much for your replies. Appreciate it
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 08:06 AM

Swiss trains and passes: www.sbb.ch (official site Swiss Railways) and www.swisstravelsystem.com.

If you do not get a Swiss Pass then a Eurailpass may be good if you want first class (always a significant advantage IMO) and to chose your trains to take once there-but only if also doing Prague.

Otherwise discounted 2nd class tickets booked in stone far in advance would be your cheapest bet by far IMO.
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 10:21 AM

Eurailpasses for the first time are now this year valid on Eurostar trains London-Paris for about $35 supplement -book these early if with pass as they are limited in number.
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 11:51 AM

Paris to Lucerne book discounted tickets at www.voyages-sncf.com - if you use a railpass however though the basic train fare is covered there are mandatory seat reservations that can cost up to $15-20 or so (or less depending on availability).

Eurailpasses to me - have used literally dozens and dozens - is where you can just show up at the station and hop on a train which is still the case in many countries but not faster trains in France or Italy- you still must go up to ticket window or book a seat reservation/supplement online- the costs can add up and the hassles too.

Like French TGVs have a quota system for passholder seats -even if train is not full at times-this is why you should always reserve a seat on them ASAP -do it when you buy your pass to not face theagony of getting to France and finding the TGV trains you want have no more passholder seats!

Above are reasons why I say a Eurailpass is not a great deal for you- besides not taking enough trains. Eurails also give just a 25% or so discount Interlaken-Murren (Swiss Passes cover in full and in general cover many more things in Switzerland than does a Eurailpass, especially in Alpine areas).
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 12:57 PM

Italian discounted ticket - www.trenitalia.com or its always cheap competitor on some main routes: http://www.italotreno.it/en.
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 06:07 AM

Murren to Prague by train is easy: Murren to Zurich by Swiss trains, Zurich to Prague by direct sleeper train.

Book Interlaken to Prague at Czech Railways www.cd.cz and add a Murren-Interlaken local ticket.

Prague to Florence is also easy by train:

1. Prague to Vienna in 3h59 from €19 www.cd.cz
2. Vienna to Florence by direct Nightjet sleeper train, www.oebb.at, from €59 with couchette or from €99 with a bed in a cosy 2-bed sleeper or from €139 with a bed in a single-bed sleeper all to yourself.

Saves a hotel bill and is city centre to city centre. How about dinner in Vienna?
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 06:54 AM

See the discounted prices you may -may be able to get by booking really early vs a pass - if you were traveling more maybe a pass but not for your plans but a Swiss Pass may be good depending on travel plans there.
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 09:50 AM

<<Saves a hotel bill>>

well, no, it doesn't because you are paying 99-139 euro for a sleeper car. THis may be a shock to some, but that's what some people pay for hotels.
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 10:24 AM

It's more than I usually pay for a hotel, and since I can't sleep well on trains, it's expensive and a drain on my energy.
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 10:28 AM

But paying air or train fare plus a hotel night is the deal-train combines both -yes it may not save enough to pay for the average hotel but all in all it saves money over travel costs that day and a hotel by a bit maybe -for some by a lot -others not.