Eugenie-les-bains - worth the money?

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Eugenie-les-bains - worth the money?

I first posted this by mistake on the US forum, so apologies to those who've read it there. This is really "big birthday trip question 2" - we have now decided to fly to Toulouse spending 2 nights in the city [we get there quite late at night so we'll have one full day] and then set off for another three nights. we were thinking about the Pyrenees &/or the coast via Carcassone, but then I remebered about eugenie les bains and realised it wasn't that far away, albeit in the "wrong" direction.
Have any OPs been in the last year or so? I checked this forum and trip adviser but the info is rather out of date. I have a quote of E310 per night [we'd only stay there for one night] plus E30 each for beakfast. I think dinner is probably going to be about E120 each, so total cost will be E600 for the night [about the cost of the rest of the trip!] What do you OPs think? it is a well- renouned 3 star michelein restaurant, but reviews are mixed to say the least. Help!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The restaurant Les Prés d'Eugénie at Eugénie-les-Bains is directed by Michel Guérard, one of the most renowned chefs in France, as evidenced by the restaurant's 3-star rating in the Michelin Guide to France. Whether it's worth the price to you is the question--do you enjoy high-level creative cuisine? Have you looked at the restaurant's web site for sample menus? (Probably not; it doesn't seem to be working very well.)

However...there appear to be 3 types of cuisine: spa (minceur), gourmande, and food of the area. I strongly suspect you're not going to get away with only 120€ per person; that amount, according to the Michelin Guide, would be for ONE dish from the à la carte offerings; full meals run from 135 to 185 Euros. Plus wine.

I think you haven't found recent reviews here because most posters don't stay in that region of France.

The hotel is a member of the prestigious Relais et Châteaux group, which means you can expect top-level accommodations and service.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:31 AM

Not sure if you would consider the Pays Basque but if so, you could also think about spending a night at Les Pyrenees in St. Jean Pied de Port and having dinner there. Both the hotel and restaurant are outstanding and will not cost near as much as Eugenie. You will only be spending one night at Eugenie so will not get to use the spa much anyway...
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the comments, underhill - I found the eugenie web-site very confusing and no menus at all.
Escrunchy - do you have any more details for this hotel - we could go to this area if we want as we;ve got 3nights and days after we leave Toulouse.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:56 PM

Here is the website for Les Pyrenees, a Relais/Chateaux property. The restaurant currently has one star from Michelin. It is a lovely place in an exceedingly picturesque town in a region known for fabulous food.

http://www.relaischateaux.com/pyrenees