ethnic prejudice in Germany"

Oct 29th, 2000, 02:47 PM
Laura

ethnic prejudice in Germany"

I hear stories about anti turkish and other anti immigrant activities in Germany. Would an olive-skinned, possibly Turkish-looking American, who is trying to blend in by NOT dressing particularly American-tourist style be likely to experience some of this anti-immigrant violence from the German equivalent of our American juvenile street thugs? In general, has anyone experienced ethnic prejudice in Germany, based on their middle eastern or southeern European looks or name, rather than based on their USA nationality?

Oct 30th, 2000, 12:13 PM
msx

No personal experience. But met an argentine physician and a Turkish med student who reported the kind of overt prejudice you seem to be concerned about. Also, on a trip to Spain, met a German tourist who kept giving us the third degree about our "real" nationality when we said we were from the USA.

Oct 30th, 2000, 12:26 PM
Art

Hi Laura, in my experiance, every people have a favorate target and its usually connected with immigrant workers where ever they are from. In the southwest it is the mexicans and asians, in Germany it is any of the guest workers (gast arbeiters). I don't think that as a tourest you should have any problems, just take the usual precautions. Have a great trip.

Oct 31st, 2000, 07:21 PM
laura

Thanks.

Nov 1st, 2000, 08:42 AM
Ralf Hartwig

Hi Laura,
I hope you will never make any bad experience in Germany. Be shure that most germans are happy to have you in the country. Please tell us, where you want to go, perhaps we can give you some information. Have a good time.

Nov 1st, 2000, 01:10 PM
Joanna

I doubt you will have any troubles. My brother-in-law is part Maori with reasonably dark skin and Germany is one of his favourite countries - he's experienced no ethnic prejudice. I think most Germans, like most other people these days, accept that they have people living there from all over. Every country has its share of ethnic prejudiced-people - just look at KKK in the USA and there are neo-Nazi organisations (usually small but noisy) in most Western countries.

Nov 1st, 2000, 01:33 PM
laura

Thanks, Joanna and Ralf. The stories I'd heard (directly) from the Turkish med student and Argentine doctor were from many years ago. A new generation has become middle aged in the mean time, and I've heard all good things since. But the old stories stuck in my mind. Thanks for not being offended by the question. (Ralf- no immediate plans, just asking--Maybe Bavaria some day)

Nov 1st, 2000, 04:02 PM
John

Laura, I can't speak about what took place many years ago. I lived in southern Germany in 1993 and there were incidents against the Turkish people. Although, I was warned to keep a low profile due to my mid-Eastern looking complexion, I never encountered any problems or saw any any first hand. The incidents were reported in the local and international news at the time. As pointed out by others, the attacks are against those living in Germany and I don't think a tourist has much to worry about. American tourists in Germany is not uncommon and are welcomed by the local populace.

Nov 1st, 2000, 07:50 PM
Leigh Cavanaugh

Hello Laura,
I'm an African American Female and I've visited Germany in 1999 & 2000. I had no problems at all while on holiday in Frankfurt and Heidelberg. The Germans were most accommodtaing and very friendly to my Husband & I. Don't forget to pick up some of that wonderful German Wine when you visit.
Have Fun & Be Safe!