London trip for my niece and I

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading these boards for ages, and finally have time to write. Due to the wind storms in Seattle lately every time I sit down to write my connection is lost. I need to thank so many for their previous posts that I have made note of (ie Robespierre, PalQ, PatrickLondon and many more to follow later)
My 16 year old niece (who is brilliant of course)and I are going to Paris, Brugge (I'll put a question for that on another post)then 5 days in London for her extended spring break in April. My 5th (I think) trip to London, her first. We may also take side trips to Cambridge, and Bath, so not really much time in London.
Not too many big questions, just a few little ones:
1) I wanted to stay in a "central" location so that we would not waste too much time on transport. (on my last trip was in Notting Hill, long tube trips) We plan to go to a museum or two, walk the embankment, St. Pauls, the London Eye, Westminster Abbey, The Globe, old book stores, plays as often as possible, and Camden Lock (is that right, I have seen the threads)or other markets for vintage/second hand clothes. And walks from LondonWalks. SO, we are booked at the Strand Palace Hotel, any thoughts on the hotel/location? Our rate is 109GBP/nite. I realize that there a less expensive places, but I don't like modern and lifeless. The last night, a Friday, we stay at the Abbey Court so we can hit Portobello first thing, then head to the airport. 2) Will my niece feel comfortable if we visit a Pub? I suppose there are no age barriers? she doesn't like beer(or wine)yet.
3) Shopping for clothes - she and her friends are casual dressers, buy their clothes at Target, so any ideas for shops in London that are not expensive and casual?
4) I really want to see/hear Trudy Kerr perform(a wonderful jazz singer) do clubs have age restrictions?
5) I have an interview in London, wish me luck!!!
Thanks! (I'm sure I'll think of more later)
OH Robiespierre, on our last day I want to be at the Portobello mkt as long as possible, and our flight is at 1:30pm, and now it looks like BA wants everyone there extra early. My idea is to take the tube one stop, then the Heathrow express, sound good?
Was this too long?
ps what is the ttt for? is that to mark a thread?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:44 PM

"2) Will my niece feel comfortable if we visit a Pub? I suppose there are no age barriers? she doesn't like beer(or wine)yet. "

Legal drinking age in the UK is 18, some pubs will not allow under 18 year olds in the evening & so DO check ID for proof of age

Don't know why you want to change hotels for the last night - why not stay at the Strand & first thing take your luggage to Paddington, leave it at the Left Luggage place & go to Portobello

And careful round Portobello - wallets & purses do disappear

ttt just brings the thread to the top again. If you want to find out what replies you've had, just click on your name.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:49 PM

You might look at the Sanctuary House Hotel in Westminster, very close to Westminster Bridge, and W. Abbey. A short walk through St. James Park and past the Horseguards, etc. takes you to Trafalgar Square, or cross over Westminster Bridge to walk the embankment to the London Eye. I think a twin room there is 95 GBP on the internet rate. It's newish, with nice large rooms, but not modern or soulless. It's part of the Fuller Pub chain, but the pub downstairs has never been noisy (we've stayed here 4 times now; we really like the location).
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:49 PM

1. Presuming the "Strand Palace Hotel" is actually on the Strand, yet, it's right in the middle of pretty much everything.

2. The age for drinking is 18; whether or not it is enforced will vary from pub to pub, and on how old she actually looks, but many pubs don't allow children, or if they do, require them to sit in a separate section.

4. Many clubs do have age restrictions (most, if not all, 18, some 21).
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:50 PM

We stayed at the Sheraton Knightsbridge and loved it. Go to the Topshop for some great, mid-priced clothed. Heathrow Express is super-easy, don't worry. Also, check out the LondonWalks tours, they are really fun and interesting.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I definitely agree w/ alanRow. I'd stay the full time at the Strand Palace, get an early a.m. taxi to Paddington and leave the bags. Then spend however much time you have at P. Road, dash back to Paddington, and catch the HEX.

Packing and moving just doesn't make sense to me . . . . .
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM

P.S. Good luck on your interview.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Strand Palace sounds like a great location, but I can also vouch for the soulfulness of Sanctuary House -- although I do think that neighborhood is deficient in restaurants.

I have to say that I think your plan to visit Portobello is dicey no matter where you stay if you have to be at Heathrow before 1:30pm. Maybe others can help you fine tune it, but I'm having a hard time envisioning the timing.

What time does the Paddington Left Luggage office open?

It's easy to catch a cab to Portobello, but how easy to get one back to the station? I wouldn't want to rely on the tube.

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:51 PM

Hi Toby, we were in London in October so a couple of suggestions--Mary Poppins is terrific, more "adult" than the film, and your niece will certainly know the music and it is a great production; as for shopping, the exchange rate makes that activity not very much fun in London (everything becomes expensive, unfortunately), but other folks here hopefully here will give you recommendations of some fun shops; lastly, if you want restaurant recommendations, say so, we ate at some fun, relatively inexpensive spots.

And, of course, good luck on your interview--that's sounds exciting.

Mary
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:53 PM

Actually I don't see any conflict w/ going to Portobello Road before taking the HEX from Paddington to LHR.

One usually wants to be at P. Road by 7 or 8 a.m.. That would give you a full 1 - 2 hours before you had to leave for Paddington. Tube from Ladbroke Grove or Notting Hill Gate to Paddington - depending on which end of Portobello Rd you finish up. (Or - you would be leaving about the time the hordes arrive so you could probably find a cab.)
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:25 PM

When we went to Portobello Rd, we used the Ladbroke Grove stop, as it is very close to the Westway flyover where many of the vintage clothes are located. I think the southern end of Portobello is more antique-y.

There is a huge Top Shop on Oxford St. right at Oxford Circus, but when we went last week it was a total zoo. Mobbed with people and packed with so much stuff it was almost overwhelming (not to mention the very loud music). We persevered (!) and my daughter did purchase some great things

We found the H&M more sane, and the prices have always been more inexpensive than Top Shop. H&M is also at Covent Gardens, which I think is a nicer area to shop than Oxford St. My girls (17 and 20) absolutely love H&M (and have shopped it all over Europe and in New York). We also enjoy Monsoon and its companion store Accessorize. Zara is another favorite of ours; prices will approximate those of Top Shop. Have also heard Mango and Oasis recommended for this age group, but we haven't been in there. Other reasonable shops include Dorothy Perkins and Next, although you might find more at these than she will.

Most of the shops I've mentioned have branches in the Covent Garden area (except, I think, Top Shop) which is where I would go were I to do another shopping day in London.

For a fun shopping experience, we enjoyed Liberty, on Regent. The clothes were way too expensive, but we bought some of their pretty blank notebooks and some of their famous fabric (they had a good number of bolts at half price).
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:44 PM

janisi,

What time does the left luggage office open in Paddington?

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Hi Toby, just to let you know we have stayed at the Strand Palace and the location is wonderful. Your satisfaction with the hotel itself probably depends upon the room you get. We had two renovated rooms that were not too claustrophobic and were adjoining with a door between. The on-site restaurant was pricey and awful, but the concierge was extremely helpful and knowledgeable and used to dealing with odd requests and tourists. There have been some threads on this board "dissing" the hotel, but we found it centrally located and quite acceptable. Since we stayed in this hotel, however, we now use Priceline for our London trips. You can get a great rate on the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum, which is a scant block from the Gloucester tube station but is more modern. It's near the Ken. palace and the museum of natural history, air and space, VandA, etc., and is about half the price you'll pay for the Strand Palace.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:53 PM

7 a.m. to 11 p.m seven days a week
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:04 AM

I don't know if it's changed in the past few years, but The Strand was always full of young homeless people. Something to consider if you and your niece are coming home late from the theater.
Can a Londoner comment on whether this is still true?
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone. noe847, thanks for the shopping tips,I too like Monsoon, just couldn't remember the name. I was able to switch our flight home to a later flight (5:30ish) so our last day will be much less rushed.
And KSWL, glad you to hear you didn't hate the Strand Place too. I mostly chose it for the location for this trip, isn't it across the street from the Strand Hotel?
thanks all