Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Been to any of these London budget hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been researching lodging for an upcoming trip to London. We are a couple, late-30's, looking for budget accomodations. The room must be clean, safe, reasonably conveniently located, and have a bed that won't kill your back. We are fine with shared bathrooms, stairs, etc.

Has anyone had experience with any of the following?

-The Curzon
-Kensington Guest House (appealing because it is kitchenette studios.) Located near the Holland Park tube station.
-Primrose Hill B&B
-Oak House Hotel

Any other suggestions? I've seen a mention here and there of the Jubilee, Ridgemount, and Park International.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 01:54 PM

..have not been to any that you listed but have been to both the Ridgemount and the Park International. The Park International is on the Brompton Rd. I was in the front and there is a lot of street noise. It is right near a tube stop, but not really in walking distance of much except the V and A. The tubeline, however, is the one which is direct to Heathrow so great to stay the night before an early am flight. The Ridgemount is near Univ of London School of tropical disease (if you can find that on a map...off the Totenham court RD..not far from the (?)BBC Tower. When I was there much more like an old fashioned hotel with some shared baths(but that a number of years ago). The people who ran it were great and it was clean. The breakfast was huge..as opposed to a skimpy breakfast at the Park International. One of the hotel staff literally walked me to the right bus stop..a much smaller place than the former. In same budget range as Park International in the Lancaster Gate Thistle ..I thought the Lancaster Thistle much better value and better location than the Park International (except for convenience to Heathrow)..I would suggest that you check travelocity, expedia ect to check "bargains" for any of these larger places. I do hope this is helpful.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 02:23 PM

..whoops..I made a mistake re the Park internationals address..is on the Cromwell Rd..but all my other comments re the noise, tube ect hold (I didnt confuse its location just the street address..I think Im too young for a seniors moment but maybe Im kidding myself?)
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:19 PM

There are a bunch of b & bs on Cartwright Gardens in Bloomsbury-near the British Museum, U of London, walking distance to theaters & sveral tube stops (Russell Square being one). The Avalon & the Jenkins are 2 I know. Others on this board have used the Harlingford. Some of the rooms in these places have private baths & some shared. All include full breakfast I believe. They can be a bit worn looking but I think are all clean & the area is convenient.

BTW, while I don't know the Kensington Guest House, Holland Park is a very nice residential area but not really near the usual London areas people find convenient. It might give you the feel of living in London though which could be fun. Primrose Hill is a place people like to go for great views of London, but again not very central.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 05:12 PM

mclaurie's suggestion of the B & B's on Cartwright Gardens is a good one. I've stayed at a couple of them - the Hotel George and another I can't whose name I can't remember. They're all pretty much the same, and very reasonably priced. Smoothound is a British website that lists hundreds of accomondations throughout the UK.

Although I've now "graduated" to Priceline and pay less money for pricier accomodations, I find that there are definitely qualities about those B & B's that you just don't get in big anonymous hotels. Travelbunny's example of being walked to the bus stop being just one example. And those breakfasts are amazing. If you can bring yourself to consume most of your daily calories before 9:00, you won't be hungry again for hours.

Old Dec 6th, 2003, 01:59 PM

County Hotel - Bloomsbury
Part of the Imperial Hotels chain

Just down the street from the Imperial Hotel....close to Euston and Russell stations.

Clean local [shared bath] type hotel.
see website for Imperial Hotels

40# single 52# double/twin.
Has safe for personal belongings, bar, and English breakfast.

When I stayed there, shared baths very clean, and never crowded.

A real slice of local flavor.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Last March, we stayed at the Rushmore in Earl's Court. We booked it through Londontown.com. Very reasonable and very close to the tube station.