Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Essential Beauty or Grooming Aids for Travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a "favorite" grooming or beauty product that they MUST bring for travel? I never leave home without my big round ceramic brush...my shower cap etc. Care to share some of your faves?
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 08:05 AM

Where I go , My Citrus Spa Lemon and Peppermint foot smoother goes!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 08:06 AM

Soother...not Smoother!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Jody, that sounds great...where do you get it? My feet always need some TLC. Judy
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 09:02 AM

My new favorites are:
Smiths Rosebud salve..for lips that get chapped or dry spots anywhere or just to gloss your lips.
L'Occitane Parfum Solide in Spicy Orange..in a little tin, you just take the lid off and it scents an entire room with a subtle spicy scent. Great for those really old hotels that have a musty smell or old smokey smell.
My round brushes and Nivea Shimmer lotion.
LOL Needless to say-there is more but I do not intend to invite ridicule on the matter of my bringing my home bath with me on trips
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett, I love L'Occitaine prducts and I ahve to get Parfum Solid for musty rooms.....does it come in other scents? Judy
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 09:36 AM

My latest kick is Body Butter in Mango and the Shower Squeeze in Lemon Twist from Basin Brand. The Butter is almost solid and comes in a little tub and the Squeeze is liquid shower soap.

I love the scents because they are not too sweet and don't give me a headache like some of those soaps.

It is comforting to have these with me when I travel, I don't know why but it is reassuring to have your own scent.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Oh, yes, and at night in the hotel I cover myself with vitamin E oil because it is so easy to get dehydrated on a trip. My skin just laps it up and it isn't greasy, try it, I got my bottle at Trader Joes.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 09:42 AM

I have to have my hairbrush with me, my own soap and shampoo. Anything else is optional, although I always travel with a whole accoutrement of beauty supplies that I never actually use (I took a facial mask with me to Italy that I have nevr had time to do at home - what made me think I would take time out of the beauty of Tuscany to do a seaweed facial mask???)
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 10:49 AM

I have to take my makeup, Blistex lip balm in the little pot, and dare I admit... fake tan.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 11:12 AM
jor

I usually bring my own toilet paper. Would you rather get stuck in a Mediterranian country without toilet paper or without lip stick?
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 11:35 AM

Wash cloths. They don't provide them in many places in Europe.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Hi Judy,
mine came from Paris but if you go to L'Occitane.com and look under Home Fragrance, you will find a long list of scents and some of them come in the solid parfume. They have Amber which I might try next ~
Once I forgot to pack shampoo ( momentary madness! how could I forget shampoo?!) so we bought Darphin in Paris and I have been buying it since, either in Paris or online..so sometimes it is not so bad if you don't take everything that is familiar with you
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

JUst wanted to add my most favorite new find for GREAT hair, plus it takes the place of texturizer(instead of all those little travel bottles), shiner, hair spray ALL IN ONE. It is called "Pure Shine" by Hask. I tell you ladies (and gents) this stuff is fabulous> I am VERY picky when it comes to my hair, but this stuff really works! FYI, Judy
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 02:30 PM

A wooden manicure stick. My nails get so dirty on mass transport (such as the London tube.) A little bottle of antibacterial liquid soap also comes in handy, for the days you feel really gamy. And I finally learned to take my own (cheap, leave 'em behind because they're wet) washcloths.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 03:11 PM

Some packets of shout stain remover to keep my clothing groomed along with a travel size spray bottle filled with fabreze to keep my clothing smelling fresh...also works to freshen up a musty room...
I like to carry the packets of nail polish remover in the event I need to spruce up my nails.
Panty liners are great too 'cause they keep your undies cleaner, especially if you are doing a lot of handwashing, and your pants fresher, too.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 03:18 PM

Wet One's . . . They're great for freshening up anywhere, including on the plane. When you get hot and sweaty (sorry, it happens to me), wipe your face and arms with a Wet One and in minutes you'll be cool as a cucumber. I even use them as spot removers and to shine shoes.

No, I don't work for the company!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 03:46 PM

>>big round ceramic brush<<
what's that? a hair brush?
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 03:53 PM

In my handbag:
Soap Leaves (or a tiny bar of soap in a metal tin) - I have to be able to wash my hands WITH SOAP in public toilets
Hand sanitizer - use when no running water
Tissues - for runny nose, drying hands or in lieu of loo paper
Lip balm with SPF
Nail file - I use a pointy metal one so I transfer it out of my checked baggage after the flight

In luggage:
Small bottles of all my regular home products
Room spray or a scented candle
If I'm staying in a hotel for longer than 2 nights, I try to buy some flowers to have in the room
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 04:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I bring EVERYthing! I don't have a product to recommend, but a method. I take ALL my regular stuff but downsize them for exactly the amount I need on my trip. Save up samples and tiny bottles you refill. I take dozens of different lotions, potions, makeup, etc. but all fit into a couple of ziplock bags. And, as mentioned above, don't pack anything you don't use every day at home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -