Search

Entry requirements for minors

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Entry requirements for minors

Hi,

I (mom) am traveling with my 16 year old daughter (without dad) to sseveral European countries and am wondering what the entry requirements are for taking her without my husband along. The countries we are going to are France, England, Belgium, and Italy. Does anyone know what I need to legally bring my daughter into these countries, or do you know of a website where I could get this information.

Thanks
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 01:55 PM

To be safe - especially if she doesn;t look like an adult - you should have a notarized letter of permission from her father - to avoid any potential questions concerning child custody. Naturally she will also need her passport - assuming you are US citizens no visas are needed.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 01:57 PM

I traveled extensively with my then 16 year old daughter to several European countries, and she was treated like any other traveler. In other words, she simply needed a valid passport. Having your husband staying at home had nothing to do with anything!!! Have a great trip!!! Mike
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 01:58 PM

I agree with NYTraveler a 100%. Because of "kidnappings" of American children by their parent (non American) over the years traveling with a minor does definetly require a notorized statement from the non-traveling parent. And yes, a passport too.

This does not sound like it would be a problem for you.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 02:04 PM

Well, there you go ktyson! But what I would do is bring along that notorized statement from the non traveling parent. One small piece of paper is not going to take up any room, and if you need it you need it. And if not, nothing lost so to speak. Have a great trip!
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 02:16 PM

Am I missing something here. We visited several countries and not once were we asked about her mother back home. Has anyone ever experienced the opposite? How does anyone know if you're not a single parent? I must admit, I'm really confused. I do agree with Loveitaly, but from a legal standpoint, it totally is not necessary. Mike
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 02:25 PM

It's not primarily a legal concern of the countries you're going to - its a concern with some of the airlines. If they allow you to travel with a child you do not have legal custody of they are concerned this society is so litigious that they may find themselves complicit in a charge of kidnapping.

(How would you feel if you had custody of your child and your ex-husband picked up him/her from school and flew to Paris without your consent?)
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 02:36 PM

I repeat my inquiry, has anyone ever been challanged by an airline or visiting country of permission to travel with a legal parent against the non-traveling parent? I've never heard/experienced an airline asking, "do you have permission from the other parent to travel?" I do assume that you have legal custody of you daughter. Mike
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 03:00 PM

Just got back yesterday from taking my two sons to France without their father (who was required to stay home and work to pay for all these trips we go on - LOL). The only time I needed a statement was when I took them to get passports and their father was not present. I have taken them on other trips to France and England and used Air France, American Airlines and Delta and have never been asked for anything other than their passports.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 03:03 PM
sandi

ktyson - I would suggest you check the entry requirements for each of the countries you are visiting to be certain none of them might have some limitations. Then you'll have the correct information and procede accordingly. Yet, having a letter from your husband/her father is no big deal and certainly doesn't take up much room in your wallet.

Who would have thought that you cannot fly from the US to Mexico or cross the border with a child without the permission of the parent that is not present.

Just check the websites or call the embassies so you travel with a clear mind.

Old Nov 27th, 2004, 06:08 PM

I agree, you should check with the nationa authorities, and with the airlines. Whenever I travel with my children, I carry a certified copy of their dad's death certificate, but I've never had to show it.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 06:11 PM

I've been asked to show my husband's OK for our kids to enter France when traveling without him, and had with me a notarized letter from him. It DOES happen. I've also been given the third degree when entering France with a friend of my daughter's. In that case I also had a notarized OK by the parents and medical information, etc.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Most don't, but some countries do require a notarized statement--Mexico and Chile among them. Whether or not they enforce the requirement is another issue, but they could.

Even in a single parent situation there is usually another biological parent who could have legal rights.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 07:22 PM

I have been taking my grandchildren to Europe since the oldest was seven years ago.
Our last names are different and I never encoutered any problems leaving or entering the USA or was questioned about it.
Last year I had my grandson with me , he was then 9 years old.
We went to Italy and France for 5 weeks.
Next June ,will be Brooke turn, she will be then 13.

My daughter is a single parent, the father had to give a written permission in order to obtain the children passport.
Dont worry Ktyson, have a great time with your daughter.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 07:41 PM

After reading all these post I will state again ktyson. Having a notorized statement from your daughters father will not take up any room in your purse and will be invaluable if you do need to show it.

Have a beautiful trip!
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 10:50 PM

The anecdotal experiences of a few anonymous folks on Fodors that they have never been required to show a parental permission letter will do NOTHING to help you if something goes wrong. It doesn't happen often -- but it DOES happen.

Sure, most travelers do just fine w/o a notarized permission -- but all it would take is one difficult ticket or gate agent or immigration officer to spoil your whole trip.

The law of averages says you will be OK -- but averages are just that -- average. Just because barbmike or someone else had no problems is hardly insurance for you.

Have your husband get a letter notarized and put your mind at ease . . . . . .

Old Nov 27th, 2004, 11:49 PM

I've traveled through France, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland, and Italy with my daughter without any paper authorizing it from my ex-wife. She has traveled with our daughter likewise. It will be unusual if you even need to show a passport except when arriving in an airport. However, an authorization was required when traveling to Central America. And I made a notarized memo authorizing medical care when she went to stay with her aunt in Italy for a summer.

I think it would be prudent to have a notarized letter from dad just in case. Europeans can be sticklers on little things when they want to be.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 11:49 PM

When my sister was 14 and flew to Canada for a vacation with my dad the airline officials asked her for a notarized letter from mom giving dad permission to take her. But I think this was a slightly different situation - she flew into Montreal and my dad met her there, they weren't traveling together from the U.S. Either way, I agree with the others, better safe than sorry, get the letter.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 12:38 AM

Once when I took my daughter, who was probably 9 at the time, to Disneyland (flying from Vancouver). YVR (Vancouver airport) has a special setup where US Customs and Immigration checks US-bound passengers before they go into the secured area. Anyway, I was asked by the agent if I had a notarized letter from her father. I went to pull out my letter, and the agent said he didn't need to see it, I just needed to have it. (BTW, I am married to my daughter's father - and my son's for that matter).

Another time, coming back into Canada, I had misplaced my daughter's birth certificate (this was on a bus trip). They wouldn't let us across the border back to our home until my husband faxed a copy of her birth certificate and they asked my daughter a few questions.

In short, I've had slight issues twice in several years, and I don't cross the border more than a few times per year. I would always have a notarized letter for a minor. I know that Alaska Airlines specifically states on their web site that solo parents should have such a letter for international flights.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies. I agree that it is better to be safe then sorry, so I will bring a notarized letter. This brings up one more question. Do I need to have my attorney write this up, or can I just write it up myself and have my banker notarize it?

Thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -