Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Entering museums with the pass sanitaire (or equivalent)

Old Jul 28th, 2021, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

It's really strange that I have been living in Paris so long and yet I rarely go to museums. But I think I finally understood why because I have been to three different museums over the past few weeks. I just couldn't stand the crowds anymore and now I have been taking advantage of all of the extra space. Quite a few Europeans and a few North Americans have returned to Paris, but of course far fewer than "normal." And there is absolutely nobody from Asia or Australia, which makes a big difference, too. There have been so many Chinese, Indians, Japanese, Koreans, Thais, Singaporeans, etc in recent years that it was beginning to look like a flood sometimes. Don't get me wrong -- I appreciate the fact that everybody wants to see Paris but at certain times it is hard to cope.

I assume that the obligatory advance reservations are here to stay. It certainly helps to regulate crowd flow and should be a boon when Paris gets crowded again. If people are obliged to come earlier or later than their favorite time, no problem for me!

Anyway, after going to the Carnavalet (you reserve your ticket but the price is 0.00), and the Aquarium Tropical at Porte Dorée (which took advantage of its covid closure to do a complete renovation) with its screaming toddlers, both a joy and a bane in such a place -- at least the fish stay safe -- I went to the Musée d'Orsay yesterday. I had not been there for about 8 years, so it was really pleasant to see it before the hordes return.

Here is my photo report about it: Musée d'Orsay 2021 | Any Port in a Storm (proboards.com)
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you, Kerouac! I've missed Paris. So nice to see the architecture of the museum and so many of my favorite paintings and spaces sans crowds. LOVE Degas' Small Dancer! There's something about her attitude, it's almost impertinence that makes me smile. You pose an interesting question. How would van Gogh feel about our appreciation for his art today? Humble or I told you so? Fingers crossed I'll be there in December/January for 7.5 weeks. Apartment and flight booked, hopes high!