Enough time to switch trains in Germany?

Mar 31st, 2002, 08:04 AM
Dick Yeager

Enough time to switch trains in Germany?

I'm looking at connections from the www.bahn.de website. I'm planning on taking the train from Frankfurt Airport to Munich.

The train I am interested in has one change of trains in Mannheim. We would arrive in Mannheim at 13.29, change platforms, then leave on the other train at 13.32. THREE MINUTES?????????

Does this work?

Dick

Mar 31st, 2002, 10:49 AM
Rex

It happens all the time. With 60 seconds to spare. I haven't been to Mannheim, so this is as much topping as anything. Already off the first page.

If you don't get an answer from someone with Mannheim station (as opposed to Mannheim Steamroller - - wink...) familiarity - - then you might want to re-post with "Mannheim train transfer - - not much time" in the message header.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 31st, 2002, 12:09 PM
Dick Yeager

Thanks for the reply, Rex. This will also top the question and maybe I'll get more input.

However, if three minutes is enough, O.K.

Dick

Mar 31st, 2002, 12:35 PM
john

Dick,
Very often the Germans schedule tight connections like these for adjacent platforms. That is, platform 1 is at the door of the station, platforms 2 and 3 are on opposite sides of a deck that is no more than 40 feet wide, 4 and 5 likewise, and etc.. You get off and see your connecting train no more than 10 seconds away, with a conductor herding everybody aboard. No perspiration! If an arriving train is running late they usually (not always) will hold the departing train.
If you miss the 13:32 you'll have an hour in the Mannheim station since there is a 14:32 to Munich. If your final destination is Munich your worst case is an hour late, 17:22 instead of 16:22. You schnitzel can be warmed up and your pils will still be in the barrel.
John
www.enjoy-europe.com/germany.htm

Mar 31st, 2002, 01:10 PM
Al Godon

Hi Dick.
Your change in Mannheim should be quite routine because of good scheduling by the Die Bahn people.

The train from Frankfurt pulls into Mannheim on track 4, and the train from Mannheim to Munich leaves on track 5. You will have a short walk of perhaps 25 yards across the platform.

The track number information is right there on the German rail web site.

Sorry, but I can't resist a jab at some of our know-it-all posters who don't always know it all. I am amused when they come up short.

Mar 31st, 2002, 01:49 PM
Rex

I get jabbed when I look up things on web sites to excess; I get jabbed when I don't do it enough (as in this case).

I get jabbed when I reply with info about places I've never been; I get jabbed because I supposedly brag too much about the places that I actually HAVE been.

But I'm not complaining about your post, Al. You seem like a good and valuable longtime contributor here.

I guess I was thinking that the question addressed close scheduling on German train connections, generally. Truth is, GENERALLY, I have only picked up other travelers using the trains in Germany. I have made it no secret here. I prefer to DRIVE when I have traveled in Germany.

Nevertheless, I thought I knew enough to answer Dick's question.

These 3 minute connections are more the rule, and mis-connecting is the exception. And that's what I was trying to say.

Dick's question had gone unanswered for a few hours, and had fallen to the second page. I happen to think it's valuable to see that people get answers here. That's why this site keeps attracting new questions.

Or maybe none of your remarks about the failings of a "know-it-all" were directed at me.

Whatever.

I'll take it as a term of endearment.

Mar 31st, 2002, 02:04 PM
Al Godon

I think Rex elected himself to the position of know-it-all poster.
I had some others in mind, actually.
Wonder why he assumed he was the target?

When it comes to Paris, Elvira gets my vote as a genuine expert. But even she catches some unjustified flack.

And Ed is gone, so our Swiss expert is stilled for ever. Sad, sad loss.

And Ben Haines, when he can get to a computer and respond, it our train travel guru.

Mar 31st, 2002, 05:00 PM
xxx

Rex's response a bit prior -
Dick's question had gone unanswered for a few hours, and had fallen to the second page. I happen to think it's valuable to see that people get answers here. That's why this site keeps attracting new questions

So, does that mean that Rex answers a question just to ensure that a question gets answered regardless of whether the answer is a wild guess, stab in the dark, whatever. Or does he do it just to see his name in print for the 200th time each day.

Mar 31st, 2002, 05:05 PM
kat

Hi Dick,
My experience with german trains says you might want to try to delay. it is common for them to run very close and they are notorious for being on time, but the question "is there enough time" depends on your current level of physical fitness. If you are fit, 3 minutes is adequate; if you're not fit or you are disabled in any way, 3 minutes will not do.
Good luck,
Kat

Mar 31st, 2002, 05:27 PM
x

Mssrs. Rex and Al, perhaps you would care to let the thread originator adjudicate the responses he gets, and assume that he has enough intelligence to determine what information is useful to him?

Enough, already.

Mar 31st, 2002, 05:43 PM
bestadvice

CHILDREN!!! Am I going to have to hop back there in the back seat and separate you two?

Puhlease, let it go--you're wasting space for those who could offer genuine responses to the post.

Mar 31st, 2002, 06:28 PM
xxx

You gotta love this board! LOL!

Mar 31st, 2002, 06:32 PM
Rex

Al said: "I can't resist a jab..."

Only two people had posted, and i was one of them. A jab is not an attack, not slanderous, nor vicious. If I was the target of the jab, I accepted it, and even said "I'm not complaining".

This is not a death match, folks.

Al's okay in my book.

Apr 1st, 2002, 02:29 AM
ttt

ttt

Apr 1st, 2002, 05:02 AM
Dick Yeager

Everyone,

Thanks for the responses and the laughs! It looks like the three minutes will do just fine.

I can't wait!!!!

Dick Yeager