Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Enough frequent stay points for Paris Hilton or Marriott...been to either??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 1998, 03:10 PM
Marcie

We have enough frequent stay points to stay at either the Hilton(near Eiffel Tower) or the Marriott. Which is the best location,proximity to good "eats", ammenities etc.....pros and cons to either are much appreciated! Thanks!

Old Jun 2nd, 1998, 08:48 PM
Donna

Not familiar at all with the Marriott, but here's what I know about the Hilton (we stayed next door): We loved the location. On the edge of the 7th and within walking distance of the Rue Cler neighborhood (of Rick Steves fame). Full of wonderful shops and reasonably priced restaurants which are really nice with wonderful food. (But, I do not recommend Chez Ribe on the opposite corner - we were very disappointed). It's also a very short walk from the Bir Hakeim metro stop and an RER stop. Along the way are the best souvenirs (nice stuff, huge selection, reasonably priced - we saw some of the same items all over Paris at much higher prices). In the nice weather, breakfast is served on a lovely terrace. There's a cocktail lounge on one of the upper floors with a fabulous view of the Tour Eiffel (you're so close, you can't view the entire structure!). Awesome, unusual cocktails. Here, they serve a bottle of Coca Cola as if it were the finest champagne. The restaurant "Le Western" complete with swinging doors and servers dressed in jeans and gingham shirts, is a reasonably priced wonderful respite if you tire of all that French cuisine. Texas BBQ and Southern comfort food - and quite authentic! Awesome pecan pie! We thoroughly enjoyed walking past the Tour Eiffel as we came and went every day. The staff of the Hilton was most pleasant, even though we weren't staying there. There's a taxi stand right outside, and the doorman, who spoke English, was so helpful in giving the driver instructions for us. At night, it's a lovely stroll from the Arc de Triomphe over the Pont de l'Alma and back to the hotel. The best boats are the Bateaux Parisiens which board just across the river. Be sure to request an Eiffel Tower or River view. I've heard through e-mail from others that they are redecorating the rooms one by one. So, if yours appears a bit shabby, request another one. A friend of mine did not know to do this, but when she wrote to complain, they sent her a voucher for several complimentary nights. The Hilton is pretty much the sort of hotel an American business person or tourist would appreciate, as opposed to small and charming. But, if you like modern with all the amenities, you won't be disappointed.

Old Jun 8th, 1998, 08:21 AM
Marcie

Great info about the Hilton.....any other opinions or info regarding the Marriott????

Old Jun 8th, 1998, 01:15 PM
Asif

We stayed at the Paris Hilton on our trip last December. It's a fabulous hotel and rooms are very nice and spacious (which is a big plus in parisian hotels). The hotel is a mere 50 yards from the eiffel tower, and you can walk over there early in the morning before the huge lines form. If you can, make sure you get a room that faces the eiffel tower, we were too late on our request. Even if you don't, there's a lounge on the 11th (maybe it was 10th) floor that overlooks the Eiffel tower - pretty much the same level as the Jules Verne restaurant that's on the first level of the Eiffel tower. The view is absolutely spectacular. The metro station is only a couple of minutes walk away as well. The staff was very courteous, and well versed in English. You can't go wrong with this hotel. <BR> <BR>If there is anything else I can help you with, please <BR>let me know. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 05:56 AM
Rich

I have not stayed at the Hilton or Marriot in Paris but have seen them both. The Hilton lacks in location but Marriot opened its new location halfway down the Champs d'Elysees this last year. The location is great and the hotel is beautiful. I would go with Marriot.

Old Jun 14th, 1998, 10:18 AM
Marcie

Thanks to all for the good input!! Marcie

Old Jun 15th, 1998, 11:07 AM
Karen

Have stayed at Paris Hilton several times. Agree that location is great and rooms are starting to be remodeled. Have no negative input. Have had a couple of good dinners at Chez Ribe. Other good restaurants down Avenue de Suffren. Great location for walking.