Clothing in Spain: How modest is modest?

Jun 15th, 1998, 09:59 AM
Sarah

Clothing in Spain: How modest is modest?

I am a high school senior who is going to spend July in Spain (Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla, Cordoba,
and Pamplona) with the Concordia Language Villages study abroad program. Any suggestions on teenage clothing for the hot July temperatures?
Shorts, sleeveless shirts, sundresses, long dresses? Also, what is the traditional attire for women for churchwear in Spain? Can I wear a sleeveless dress to church in Spain? Any suggestions will be appreciated - thanks for the tips.
Sarah

Jun 15th, 1998, 11:07 AM
CJ

Sarah- We just came back from a 5 day stay in Madrid with x-patriots and 3 days in Barcelona. Being in coutoure retail I noticed everything from earrings to shoes. As you will read on other topics Americans do dress down quite a bit. In Spain most women were dress in nice linen or cotton pants with a nice cotton top with a scarf on. Two piece pantsuits looked very professional. With you being a college student I would stick to the nice flowing long broom stick skirt with comfortable stacked sandles. The shoes are a riot. Sneakers are even platformed. I would stay away from short shorts but nice linen walking shorts are fine for shopping or lunches. The older more affluent(sp) ladies always wore skirts or suits. The scarf is the key thing. Not to repeat myself as you can check in other forums no short sleeves in churches. Be a young adult and have fun but do it tastefully. Even for summer stay with your basic beige or black you can never go wrong. I did find in Madrid (their largest department store, forgot name) they sell real pretty collars in pearls or sequence that you can put over a basic colored dress and turn it into evening wear. I bought 6 of them. They were my saving grace. Good luck.