Enniskillen to Killybegs

Old May 7th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enniskillen to Killybegs

Hello,
We are going to Ireland in June, flying into Dublin and driving to Killybegs Donegal, as we have a cottage booked there.
Looking for overnight accomodation in the Enniskillen area Hotel or B and B at a reasonable price. And any ideas of day trips from killybegs area.

thank you
Obe
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Have you a reason for stopping in Enniskillen? It's no big deal to drive to Killybegs from Dublin.

From Killybegs, you can go west to Kilcar, Teelin (go down to the pier), Slieve League, Glencolumcille (small folk village), back via Ardara.

Or into Donegal town, northwards through Barnesmore Gap through Stranorlar to Letterkenny, then north-west to Gweedore, and back to Killybegs by the coast (Ardara again!). Full, but not unreasonable, day trip.

Down south through Ballyshannon to Sligo is also good.

The only thing I'm not too enthusiastic about is Killybegs!
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:11 AM

In (or just out of) Enniskillen I recommend Abocurragh Farm. http://www.abocurragh.com/
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:35 PM

Don't miss Slieve League! It's awesome! I loved the whole area.

Have fun.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

We are flying into dublin 16:00 hrs and would like somewhere to stay and something to do enroute before we get the cottage at 16:00 hrs the next day. Enniskillen was just an idea but any further suggestion would be great.

thanks
obe
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:33 AM

If you have a night to kill on the way, Enniskillen is fine for that -- a pleasant enough town, but not very exciting. Good walks on the banks of the Erne, a castle to look at, no remarkably good restaurants that I can remember. You might like to visit the nearby Florence Court in the morning before resuming your journey.

The Killyhevlin Hotel, on the edge of town, is in a very attractive setting. See http://www.killyhevlin.com/

You will be trying to get from Dublin Airport to the N3 at about 17.00. That will be painstakingly slow all the way to Navan (the first 25-30 miles).
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Another vote for Abocurragh, where we stayed a few years ago. Just a couple of miles from town in a lovely country setting. Bernie was a welcoming host and we loved the dog Jack, who reminded us of our pup left at home.