Enna or Caltigirone?

Oct 17th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Enna or Caltigirone?

4 of us will be in Sicily next month. We will be leaving Agrigento in the morning, drive to Piazza Armenia to see mosaics, then on to either Enna or Caltigirone for lunch/stroll/shopping. We will then continue on to Taormina where we will stay for 3 nights. First of all, is it feasible to do Piazza Armenia, short side trip to Enna or Caltigirone, and then proceed to Taormina with enough time to check into our hotel, enjoy a nice dinner and stoll? Or should we just do Piazza Armenia and con't on to Taormina? Which would you prefer...Enna or Caltigirone? It will be myself, husband, mother in law and father in law. Us women would, of course, like the ceramic shopping, but men won't care either one. Just a short stop for lunch and a little sight-seeing to break up the drive. thanks!
Oct 18th, 2006, 12:25 AM

In my opinion, Caltagirone is worth visiting much more than Enna! There is a magnificent flight of steps decorated with old ceramics. Caltagirone has also old mansions and churches. Ceramic shops have to be seen: some ceramics are really works of art, especially Christmas cribs (in shop windows all year long).
Oct 18th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Just remember that Riposo is around 1pm - 4pm and MANY shops WILL be closed at that time. Window shopping, visiting the steps, lunch, coffee and a stroll will surely be a good idea. I second Caltigirone From there it will be almost a two hour drive to Taormina though so factor that in there.
Oct 18th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Caltigirone it is!! Thanks for the input!
Oct 18th, 2006, 11:12 PM

Good Choice. I live 15 minutes from there and I can say that Caltagirone is actually one of the few places that WILL have shops open during riposo. In fact, parking is much easier during riposo (and usually free till about 3:00- check the sign) Enjoy and Happy Shopping!!