Enkgland: Trip the Lights Fantastic - Blackppol Lights Redux

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If traveling in the Blackpool area the next several weeks you can take in one of Europe's most extensive and, to me at least, fantastic light shows - the Blackpool Lights, where several miles of seaside promendate are lit up with Christmas lights, including lit up scenes of Santa, etc.

Even Blackpool's legendary double-decker (and single decker) trams are lit up - some of them at least with Christmas lights and they trundle down and up the boardwalk.

The Blackpool Lights - packs in Brits by the thousands!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I once had an Enk Gland problem, but it was fixed by surgery.

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Blackpool Lights * New Site Coming Soonwww.blackpoollights.com/ - 1k - Cached - Similar pages

Visit Blackpool.com - Blackpool IlluminationsVisit blackpool illuminations As the summer season draws to a close, Blackpool looks forward to long autumn nights bathed in light and colour. ...
www.visitblackpool.com/?OBH=858
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 10:57 AM

Tacky, tacky, tacky
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 11:09 AM

I used to be taken almost every year as a child. We'd have a day trip to Blackpool, often in the rain, a donkey ride on the beach, a walk along the pier and a trip to the tower. Once it was dark, my Dad would drive us home through the traffic jam along the route of the lights and more often than not we'd all fall asleep in back of the car and miss most of them!

Yes Sheila, very tacky
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

tacky does not mean it can not be fantastic IMO and believe me Blackpool redefines the meaning of the word Tacky!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 12:33 PM

The whole point of Blackpool is to be tacky. Go with the right attitude and have some tacky fun And the illuminations are wonderfully tacky and wonderful to see too.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 02:46 PM

I've wanted to visit Blackpool myself, I saw Blackpool was featured on the UK Soap Opera show "Eastenders". First read about the lights in a book by Bill Bryson, "Notes From a Small Island" about his journeys through England. Definitely on my "to do" list one day

One of the things mentioned in the book was that he considered it to be a total tourist trap and that there were much nicer beaches in the area, but the author did like the lights.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 12:12 AM

I can take tacky in small doses. Blackpool used to be very much a family resort but unfortunately has now attracted a lot of groups on "hen" and "stag" dos, which wouldn't attract me to stay there. The beach isn't the best, though constant effort is made to improve the water quality which isn't the cleanest. It's very much a tourist trap with lots of rides and amusements, shows, tacky souvenirs, fast food and candy floss.

No doubt I'll take my small grandson to see the lights at some point, as they are quite a show.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 05:10 AM

This year's Illuminations is an improvement on recent years. A new designer was appointed to revamp some of the displays near the Central Pier and the Tower, and changes have been made in some of the themes. Having driven through this year's Illuminations, I'd say come and take a look if you haven't been up recently. There's a new central headland which hosted an outdoor, free concert by Kaiser Chiefs the other day. I suggest you start from the north, at Bispham, a quieter residential suburb where there are some pleasant cafes and restaurants for tea before the lights (switch on around 7.30 pm now). Tackiness and Blackpool have always gone together, but areas away from the centre don't suffer from the excesses of hens and stags. You can end up with a supper or a drink in St Annes or Lytham - very different from Blackpool and pleasant, slightly upscale resorts with some smart bars and restaurants. Stay the night and play around of golf at one of many fine links courses in the area.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

It's the lit up trams that i like - the Fisherman's tram, etc.

Alec is so right in that the whole area of Blackpool is not tacky - especially the tony areas like St Anne's to the south.