Enjoyed Cinque Terre - What next?

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Enjoyed Cinque Terre - What next?

I spent about 4 days in the Cinque Terre last summer and, suprisingly, loved it! I thought it would be too much, but it was hot last June so swam and was HAPPY!
Next summer I want to do something similar, but different. ANY IDEAS??

I was thinking Amalfi - ish, but isn't that very expensive and pretentious??

Puglia, Sicily (sp?), Sardinia

Thanks for any adivce.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:33 PM

Amalfi Coast can be very low key. Or very pretentious. Depending on where you stay and where you spend your time. I liked the town of Amalfi. Definitely low key.

How much time do you have? Puglia, Sicily and Sardinia are huge! For beaches, take a look at the Salento peninsula in the far south of Puglia. I have not been yet, but am looking into a trip and have found many great-looking places to stay for very moderate prices...as long as you do not go in August high season.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:38 PM

Go to Capri, is a beautiful island.We spent 4 days there in 2007.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:48 PM

Stay in Positano. It's absolutely beautiful. If you have long enough, you can relax there and also take the ferry and spend a day in Capri, Sorrento, and Amalfi (and then up to Ravello by bus). Although it can be pricey, Fodorites will have lots of great suggestions about places to stay that are affordable. We have stayed at Villa Rosa and Residence Alcione, both of which are wonderful.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:54 PM

Have you considered the Dolomiti? Awesome scenery, very low key, and great hiking for summer, skiing for winter.

I spent a week skiing out of Cortina a few years ago and have always wanted to return for summer hiking.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! Dayle, I have spent a few summers hiking in the Dolomites and I did LOVE it! Thanks though I'm looking for a beachy spot.
SusanMargaret - are there nice beaches in and around Positano? I should clarify - by nice, I mean nice for Italy, not Hawaii or the Carribean. I didn't mind the beach at Monterroso. It was a little rocky, but the water was great!!