english spoken?

Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
english spoken?

I'm working on my Spanish; but need to know in Spain is English usually spoken?

How about Austria?

Also Istanbul Turkey?

you can see my problem, tania
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 04:17 PM

English will be spoken or understood in places frequented by foreign visitors, such as airports, large hotels, car rental, and shops and restaurants in international resorts. It's less likely by taxi or bus drivers, small everyday shops and generally in small/medium towns not on tourist trail. So provided you are sticking to well-trodden tourist tracks and staying in large hotels etc, you should be able to get by. But it's always helpful to know some rudimentary Spanish when dealing with locals, who may not speak English well enough.
The same is generally true in Austria and Istanbul - but again, some words and phrases in local language will come in handy.
Generally, millions of people visit those countries yearly with no or little knowledge of local language and survive, so you should have no concerns. But an attempt to speak the local lingo wll be appreciated everywere.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
ira

ditto alec
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 04:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
But an attempt to speak the local lingo wll be appreciated everywere.>>

absolutely. and a smile goes a long way. your pathetic attempts to speak their language [if you are anything like me] will rarely be met with anything but goodwill and interest. aim to be able to say the basics like "please", "thank you", hello, goodbye, and 2 beers please. [or whatever your favourite tipple is] I have amused many foreign hoteliers and restauranteurs with what I have subequently discovered have been gaffs. who cares?

have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 05:35 PM

Generally ditto. You will probably find English spoken in more places in Austria and a little fewer in Spain and Turkey. If you are off the beaten track in very small towns expect substantially fewer people to speak much English.

Learn at least the politenesses in each language and take a small dictionary of each language if you plan on being off the beaten track. (Generally there will be someone who speaks some English no matter where you go - but finding the right person can take a while.)
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM

Generally ditto to the above also, but gosh, you're going to countries where English is not the native language and you have to deal with that.Of COURSE English isn't "usually spoken," why would it be?
There will be people who speak English (thanks to their concerted study of it) and people who don't, everywhere you do. Be prepared and know the basics in every language of every country you're visiting so you can at least appear to be polite and have taken the time to learn a few phrases. You probably won't understand a thing they say back to you, and that's a problem, but at least be gracious and try a few phrases in the native language.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 09:56 PM

Learning the basics or a few phrases definetely does not hurt.

If you are traveling off the beaten tracks in Austria or Spain, younger people will be more likely to be able to communicate in English than older folks.

Depending on where you will travel in Spain, "Spanish" does not necessarily have to be the native language. Some people, for example in or around Barcelona, might actually prefer to speak with you in English rather than in Castilian.

The language "angst" is in the same department as the common clothing obsession (compare: white tennis shoes syndrome)... it usually gets blown out of proportion.

Hardly any Austrian travelling to Spain for vacation will start to take language courses in Spanish. Neither will any Spaniard learn more than 10 phrases of German when visiting Vienna. Younger people across Europe use English as lingua franca to communicate anyway.

Don't be shy to use the phrases you have learned, but also don't worry that it could be embarrassing not to be able to speak the respective foreign language.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

thanks, feel like my effort to at least try to speak the language will be helpful. Tania