Reload this Page >

English speaking

Search

English speaking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Chuck

English speaking

Do most Swiss speak and/or understand English in the major cities,mainly?

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Grasshopper

In my experience, most people undertstand some level of English, particularly in tourist areas. On my recent trip, I found English less spoken in the Ticino region.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 02:29 AM
lingua

Yes, English will get you everywhere. In fact, you'll be surprised how much English is already incorporated into everyday German and French in Switzerland (something that's super is "super"; you want to do some mountain biking? then, you'd go "mountain biking" ordering a steak (not US quality, mind you)? then you'd say "steak" etc...) Even Hamburger = Hamburger, but beware, order some french fries at McDonald's and you'll need to say "Pommes frites". Anyway, use some lingua colloquia when you're here: say "Gruezi" or "Entschuldigen Sie" to get someone's attention; "Danke" to say thanks; and "Schoen" to say something's nice. You'll get more smiles that way... (Life is a bit more complicated here - pack some French and Italian phrases as well...)

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Ingo

hm, funny thread.<BR><BR>In my experience french phrases were more helpful sometimes than German phrases (I am German) in Bern or Graubuenden.<BR><BR>Excusez and Merci are most common in Bern and in Graubunden "Bun di" was very helpful to get a smile ...<BR><BR>Ingo

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Ursula

Chuck: I'd say so, especially the younger crowd. You won't have a problem. But it can't hurt to learn some basics in German.<BR><BR>Ingo: We say "Merci" (Danke sch&ouml;n) and "Excusez" (Entschuldigung)in all parts of Switzerland. Most people are probably not even aware they *are* French. <BR>As a matter of fact, we use quite some French words in our daily Swiss German Same with English words like "great", "cool", "heavy", etc. not to mention all the 4-letter words.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 09:51 AM
pedro

Funny thread and Lingua posted the funniest answer.<BR><BR>"Super" comes from Latin with the same spelling and meaning.<BR><BR>"Hamburger" comes from Hamburg, a city in Germany.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 01:52 PM
4 languages en Suisse

It depends what part of Switzerland you visit!!! Please realize not only German is spoken there, but also French, and Italian, (and yet a 4th language still alive in more remote places), depending on the region you visit.<BR><BR>From Geneva and out along Lac Luman (Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux) I found mostly French spoken. Friends-of-friends I met spoke English as a 2nd language, but shopkeepers (i.e., grocery store, bakery, lace shops) usually spoke only French.