English in Spain??

Search

English in Spain??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
English in Spain??

Do the school children in Spain study English?

I've always been impressed in with the English proficiency level of those living in other Western European countries. Will it be the same in Spain, especially in the bigger cities?

How about the hotel receptionist?

Will most restaurants have an English menu?

Will train and bus stations have an English translation?

How about the taxi driver?
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 05:07 PM

Prople in tourist hotels and popular tourist restaurants and stores will spak some English. In other restauants and shops there may or may not be someone whos speaks English. This is in major tourist towns. In smaller towns with less toruist traffic the number of English speakers will be muich smaller. Many restaurants will not have menus in English.

I don't know if kids in Spain are required to study English in school. But no - except for areas in which there are huge numbers of visitors from the UK - English is not spoken nearly as frequently as in Netherlands, Scandinavia and Germany.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 05:08 PM

Spain is a big country...
In cities.. no problem with hotels and restaurants.
Don't expect to find English speakers as frequently as you do in Northern Europe.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 05:22 PM

English is studied in schools but most Spaniards will tell you they never feel comfortalbe speaking it.During the summer months,families who can afford to send theor children to England and Ireland.English even in Madrid is hit/miss!
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 06:08 PM

English menu at a restaurant is a mixed blessing. It simplifies ordering, but it also means the restaurant caters to tourists to make it worthwhile preparing English menus. Sometimes this means only unsuspecting tourist would go to such restaurants. I don't remember taxi drivers speaking English.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 06:40 PM

In the bigger cities and in the southern tourist destiantions you will find people in the tourist business who speak English. The Spanish are most gracious when you speak a little of their language.

Some study English in the schools.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. We'll take it as it comes.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 08:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hotel receptionist? Yes

an English menu? Depends the kind of restaurant, at tourist places yes, at local places probably not

train and bus stations? I don't think so(?)

How about the taxi driver? I wouldn't count on more than the basics (have your address or destination written down)
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 08:05 PM

Adu is
right about how gracious Spanish are if you speak their language..

Several times, when I asked for directions in the Metro or
train station, the locals actually walked me to the platform.
Taxi and bus drivers. become chatty and hotel receptionist always give me
a nice room.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 08:20 PM

I found that fewer people in Spain speak English than in other European countries that I have been to. But it isn't hard to pick up rudimentary Spanish - it is a pretty straightforward language to learn.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM

I would agree with all of the above. We did find, on our recent trip to Andalucia and Madrid, and many restaurants did have at least a couple of English menus tucked away somewhere - though at least once, it was pulled out after we'd ordered. I learned enough Spanish to figure out most menu items (we're real foodies, so that was an important part of the trip for us).

In some tapas bars, the kind where the tapas is primarily listed on a board behind the bar, I don't think there were translations. I remember commenting to my husband that it would be difficult if you couldn't read those boards.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 08:36 PM

In some tapas bars, the kind where the tapas is primarily listed on a board behind the bar, I don't think there were translations. I remember commenting to my husband that it would be difficult if you couldn't read those boards.
And that is part of the charm of a tapas bar. Unless you have a food allergy or some other medical condition, just point and try something. Tapas are small and it is perfect situation to attempt something new.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 09:57 PM

Kids learn English at school since first grade. I wouldn´t go to a restaurant with an English menu...except if you like touristy places and feel comfy with them. Part of the fun of travelling is the ability to interact without knowing the local language, IMO. In any case, I feel that your stereotype of traveller is not too "risky", I guess.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Well, I am willing to be risky to a certain degree. I like adventure but not at the expense of getting sick. An individual with a food allergy to some degree lives on the edge even in his/her own country. I got pretty sick one time when in New Orleans because of all the shellfish. I can react even if a kitchen utensil used for shellfish is then used for my food. Not pleasant, I guarantee you. Why wouldn't I want to protect myself as much as possible no matter what country I'm in? Vacations are a time for enjoyment, not a time of great anxiety.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 09:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
DO you have a food allergy? You didn't mention that in your OP. If you do I suggest using a card printed in Spanish to explain it. You can make your own or there are some you can purchase (vegetarian, gluten free, peanuts, etc.)

I would also study in advance plus carry a phrase book with a restauarant section (or even a dictionary) so you can look up specific words on the menu when you are in a restaurant.

If there is food you need to avoid entirely (like all shellfish) I definitely would not count on all menus being tranlated in English for you.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I do have a food allergy to shellfish. Sorry about not saying so in this particular post. It's explained in another post, where I ask about the availability of foods other than seafood. I definitely carry with me a translation of the situation. Can't afford not to. And, yes, I need to get a small book for translating typical foods from Spanish to English. Thanks for your concern and suggestions!
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 11:29 AM

Yes, definitely carry a translation card. Makes things so much more simple.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 12:14 PM

<<<<<<<<
English menu at a restaurant is a mixed blessing. It simplifies ordering, but it also means the restaurant caters to tourists to make it worthwhile preparing English menus. Sometimes this means only unsuspecting tourist would go to such restaurants. I don't remember taxi drivers speaking English
>>>>>>

Tourists generally go to areas where other tourists go (although we all love to think we dont). Spain is awash with tourists so the less touristy places will have english menus while the more touristy places will also have german, swedish, and some Asian languages in addition to English which is pretty much standard these days. Don't worry about the existence of an english menu.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 12:44 PM

Agree with PP,
There is no shortage of restaurants with English menus .
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 12:47 PM

I already gave the Original Poster the following sentences to use at restaurants on a different but similiar Spain topic:

No puedo comer marisco o pescado
Soy alérgico a los mariscos y pescados

I cannot eat seafood and fish.
I am alergic to seafood and fish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -